Gibson Brands Forums

What IS this LP made of?

cacao

greetings. A friend gave me a guitar this week. Its a Les Paul Special. Serial number: 034651354

It is black with no lacquer and weighs almost nothing. Compared to my '70 LP it is light as a feather. Because it all black I cannot tell what kind of wood it is made from. Its almost lite enough to be balsa or poplar. It has great tone run through a Laney 30W even if it does need to be set up for me still...action is too high.... see pics

ps....the profile photo I just uploaded is of an LP and amp made out of chocolate.... [biggrin]

post-70680-092398500 1424365165_thumb.jpg

post-70680-001740500 1424365178_thumb.jpg

Hello Cacao, welcome to this nice place in the web. [thumbup]

It would be interesting how much "as light as a feather" means.

Anyway, I think sometimes they have very light pieces of mahogany being too small to make a one-piece body of a Custom Les Paul of, and then they make two- or three-piece bodies of other models using them. My avatar shows a detail of my Government Series II Explorer. It is only 3.5 kgs or 7 lbs 11 oz - looking at actual web informations I found only heavier ones.

When you wrote she was given to you - is she yours? May I congratulate you on this nice catch?

Hello Cacao, welcome to this nice place in the web. [thumbup]

It would be interesting how much "as light as a feather" means.

Anyway, I think sometimes they have very light pieces of mahogany being too small to make a one-piece body of a Custom Les Paul of, and then they make two- or three-piece bodies of other models using them. My avatar shows a detail of my Government Series II Explorer. It is only 3.5 kgs or 7 lbs 11 oz - looking at actual web informations I found only heavier ones.

When you wrote she was given to you - is she yours? May I congratulate you on this nice catch?

Hello cap...thanks....The back story is my buddy used to work at musicians friend in the IT dept. This came to the owner from the gibson custom shop as part of a pair that they were trying to get MF to sell. He declined and put them out as part of an employee auction....my buddy snagged it about 7-8 years ago....if the serial numbers are like they say they are it was made on december 12th 2005 in nashville....but I cant figure out what it is made of....if feels like a solid piece of wood. You can see some grain through the paint but I cant identify it....there doesnt seem to be any laminate lines....

Hmm..

best thing to do is ask Gibson.. email the customer service with pics of the guitar and serial number (photos of the back of the headstock are useful too)...

But regardless.. as far as I know ALL US Les Paul models are made from mahogany (or sapele which is a form of mahogany)... (actually with the exception of a few models like the Raw Power and such).

Even a Junior is made from mahogany.. its one of the things that help a Gibson sound like a Gibson..

Either way, enjoy it [thumbup]

• 4 weeks later...

Archived