Gibson Brands Forums

ES339 Pro controls

Wayne8

First thing I did upon receiving my guitar was to swap the knobs for black speed knobs. Managed to pull the shaft right out of one of the volume push pull pots. Took it to the shop. Few days later guy calls me and tells me I have to get him a neck volume pot as these have circuit boards attached to them and he can't get them. Put in an email to Epiphone and haven't gotten an answer. Plan on calling them tomorrow but I want to check something with you folks first. Is the neck volume knob closest to the floor? That's the one I thought I pulled out but I'm not sure I'm remembering right. Are the neck and volume pots somehow different so that it would matter which is which, as far as ordering?

Also, I didn't take it to an authorized Epiphone guy because I did the damage modding it (replacing the knobs) so I figured I'd have to pay for it anyway since it was my fault and my guy's a lot closer than the authorized guy. I've scoured the internet trying to find an Epiphone 339 Pro pot with a circuit board but have had no luck. Any help there? Will Epiphone let me buy one? Does anyone know of another place I can get one?

Thanks.

wait a minute.

You have push/pull coil splitting on those, right?

I switched the knobs on my ES-335 that has coil splitting and the same thing happened, when I was pulling the knob off the long shaft came out of one of them and I ended up with the knob and shaft in my hand. At least one other person had this same problem on one of these message boards.

You may be able to fix this. The other guy and I did the same thing: pulled the knob off the shaft and pushed the shaft back into the pot until you hear it click all the way in.

After that you can attach the new knob in the seated shaft.

In my case (and the other guy's as well), the volume pot was undamaged and the push/pull feature continued to work fine.

You may want to give that a shot before replacing the whole pot.

Archived