Gibson Brands Forums

FT-147 non-lam

Rhollat

Hi folks, I'm new here and sure there has been a lot of threads concerning Laminate or Solid. Here goes another.....

I have an FT-147 that I believe is listed as laminate. It sounds flat out fantastic. Never thought to take interior pics until I read about it on this site. So I did.

After snapping the pics I'm pretty convinced that this guitar is all solid. The grains are pretty distinctive (especially the back) and they match inside and out. I know that laminate grain pattern can be applied in the same direction and that quality laminate guitar makers did so, like the Nippon Gakki' Yamaha's which I have a few of.

I don't believe all FT-147's are solid but I think it's very possible this one is, for whatever reason. I'm gonna try to attach some pics for you to compare. No promises....ha!

Ok, maybe not. Keeps saying file is too big. I'm not great at computer stuff. If I can figure out how to downsize them, I'll post. Figures. I know the rule..... If no pics, it didn't happen.

I'd be happy to text or email the pics to anyone interested. Feel free to send me a message.

Meanwhile, I'll keep trying and you can either take me at my word or not. I know I'm pretty convinced.

According to epiphonewiki.com (the reference sourse for all things Epiphone), it is laminated. Those early-mid 70's guitars from Japan were very well made (my second guitar was a FT model) if memory serves me correctly from that same time period.

Having the benefit of 40 years, it may have aged quite nicely and may have a very nice tone. Can we see a pic of the guitar?

Welcome to the board, Rhollat!

I have an FT-147 that I believe is listed as laminate. It sounds flat out fantastic.

Well, that's really the important thing - whether you like it. Lams are guitars, too. If you're happy with the sound, then it's all good!

A well-made laminate is simply two even layers of the same wood glued together. While they offer a lot of support, the downside is they are stiff and do not flex like a solid top. Takes more energy to drive them. On the other hand, because the tops are stiff, if the guitar is well made the bracing will be fairly light. These are a far cry from laminate guitars built with some cheap filler stuff and a nice veneer and with heavier bracing which is unfortunately what you often will run into.

Archived