Gibson Brands Forums

Case closed

Cougar

Before being concerned about humidity, I'd take a guitar out of its case to play it, and thoughtlessly just leave the case wide open. Now, I figure much of the humidity inside a humidified case resides in the plush lining of the case. The longer you leave it open, that plush lining is going to be losing humidity. When you pull a guitar out to play it, it's a good idea to keep that case closed!

Before being concerned about humidity, I'd take a guitar out of its case to play it, and thoughtlessly just leave the case wide open. Now, I figure much of the humidity inside a humidified case resides in the plush lining of the case. The longer you leave it open, that plush lining is going to be losing humidity. When you pull a guitar out to play it, it's a good idea to keep that case closed!

Yes it is a good idea to close and latch the lid when the guitar is not in it. I have two digital hygrometers in my case for monitoring, one placed directly over the sound hole, and one at the head stock....as well as two humidifiers, a Dampit for the sound hole...and a much smaller sponge humidifier in the head stock. ( Oasis hygrometer..very thin sized) Opening the case, even for 5 minutes makes a big difference in removing stored humidity in the case itself. The plush case lining does indeed hold humidity. Humidity is vapor, it dissipates very quickly when exposed to very dry air. I always close the case lid immediately after removing the guitar to play, and I latch at least two of the latches also because my hygrometers tell me that just closing the lid, but not latching it, also makes a difference in the loss of humidity!

I use and have been for several years now the Oasis Plus humidifier and a hygrometer I bought from Canadian Tire that I tested the % reading on to know where its at. When I take the guitar out to play I put them both back in the case and close it up tight to keep as much humidity in the case as possible. Mik

I always close the case anyway, just because one good reason for having a case is to keep the dust and dirt out.

Learned that the hard way- way easier to clean a dusty guitar than a dusty case. Not that it's the end of the world.

Also, dog/cat pee is NOT the proper way to humidify a case.

I use and have been for several years now the Oasis Plus humidifier and a hygrometer I bought from Canadian Tire that I tested the % reading on to know where its at. When I take the guitar out to play I put them both back in the case and close it up tight to keep as much humidity in the case as possible. Mik

The bluegrass shop that I deal with turned me on to Oasis products. I haven't had a moments problem with them. They tell you when they need to be refilled.

Archived