Gibson Brands Forums

NGD DR-500MCE Vintage Sunburst

hector07

Just picked up my Masterbilt DR-500MCE & just in time. The prices here in Ontario at the local store (an hour away) went up from $659.00 Cdn to $799.00. Fortunately there was a store in the Toronto area with the $659. price on their website & L&M price matched. Looks & sounds great!

Just picked up my Masterbilt DR-500MCE & just in time. The prices here in Ontario at the local store (an hour away) went up from $659.00 Cdn to $799.00. Fortunately there was a store in the Toronto area with the $659. price on their website & L&M price matched. Looks & sounds great!

ya we get screwed here for price but I was lucky enough to get mine with a gator case for used for 375 from the forum. I think they are as good as any guitar out there but the martin guys are going to hate you and pick out made up flaws.

Congratulations! Where's the pics? I just got mine a week ago, it's a fantastic guitar!

ya we get screwed here for price but I was lucky enough to get mine with a gator case for used for 375 from the forum. I think they are as good as any guitar out there but the martin guys are going to hate you and pick out made up flaws.

I agree, if you visit The Acoustic Forum, all you read is how Martin and Taylor are the only guitars worth having which is a crock. I LOVE my Masterbilt DR-500MCE, which is also Vintage Sunburst. I am just a beginner, but it's leaps and bounds better sounding and easier to play than my Yamaha, which is a lower end model. Enjoy!

I agree, if you visit The Acoustic Forum, all you read is how Martin and Taylor are the only guitars worth having which is a crock. I LOVE my Masterbilt DR-500MCE, which is also Vintage Sunburst. I am just a beginner, but it's leaps and bounds better sounding and easier to play than my Yamaha, which is a lower end model. Enjoy!

I also agree. I was in the local music store trying out several high-end Martins ($2700 +). I was about to leave when the sales guy handed me the Masterbilt DR-500MCE. It was so much better than the Martins IMHO - so I bought the Masterbilt. :) Such a superb instrument!

I also agree. I was in the local music store trying out several high-end Martins ($2700 +). I was about to leave when the sales guy handed me the Masterbilt DR-500MCE. It was so much better than the Martins IMHO - so I bought the Masterbilt. :) Such a superb instrument!

There's quite a bit of anti-Asian or non-American built guitar sentiment out there IMHO. Sometimes the dialogue becomes downright nasty. People integrate ownership of these Martins, Gibsons and Taylors into their self-esteem, is my theory. That's why they become so defensive when one even suggests that a Masterbilt may be approaching the quality of the aforementioned brands.

It's just a guitar...

There's quite a bit of anti-Asian or non-American built guitar sentiment out there IMHO. Sometimes the dialogue becomes downright nasty. People integrate ownership of these Martins, Gibsons and Taylors into their self-esteem, is my theory. That's why they become so defensive when one even suggests that a Masterbilt may be approaching the quality of the aforementioned brands.

It's just a guitar...

Yeah Dennis I agree.It's like people who wear designer watches and use their phones when they are looking for the time. Headstock envy.When Martin puts out a retro and charges over $60'000 it ain't about playing your guitar any more.Way deep down they're really shallow.(This could run into a moderator's opprobrium).

It's just a guitar...

You forgot American Fenders, boutique pedals, PRS, boutique amps, the list goes on. Some people buy simply for the name on the head stock, which is just as silly to me as comparing guitars thousands of dollars apart and suggesting it's an apples to apples comparison. That's not being defensive that's just plain old facing reality.

I was trying out a few different guitars also, once I played the Epi I stopped looking.

I also own the Epi es 339 (my avatar) also made in China & think is is excellent for the $.

I was trying out a few different guitars also, once I played the Epi I stopped looking.

I also own the Epi es 339 (my avatar) also made in China & think is is excellent for the $.

I've heard great things about the es 339 - I have a somewhat similar axe, the Sheraton II (which I also love).

I think we have similar taste in guitars. :)

I've heard great things about the es 339 - I have a somewhat similar axe, the Sheraton II (which I also love).

I think we have similar taste in guitars. :)

AND Bands!!! My first concert was The Beatles in 65 then 66.

I like playing the 339 so much I traded my Les Paul Studio for the Masterbilt... No regrets!

Archived