Gibson Brands Forums

bridge for studio pro

american cheez

These locking tuners came stock on three of my Gibson USA guitars, but I definitely do not recommend them:

https://www.grotro.com/Grover/2154a941-6e5d-484f-a28c-2640779e7038/LOCKING-ROTOMATICS/Roto-Grip-Locking-Rotomatics-502-Series

The space for locking the strings is too small. .040" is no problem, but heavier ones are a hassle. The hollow shafts are too short and don't match the Gibson peghead. Also, the headstocks on my Gibsons are tapered, with most flesh on the E1st/E6th end close to the nut, bad for locking the E6th. I had to replace two of them due to a broken locking thread up to now. Seriously, I'm considering to switch to "normal" tuners when my third left spare tuner will be gone.

it gets old having to reset the action with a ruler every time i change strings and clean my guitar. is there a replacement bridge out there that i can lock into one position and leave it there?

would like something quality. also, are there direct replacement locking tuners?

You can indeed by a locking bridge..

OR you can just secure the bridge/tailpiece with a rubber band or some masking tape so it doesn't fall off when you change the strings.. Or you could just leave on string on when you change them so you can clean the board... if you arnt worried about cleaning the board just change one string at a time.

it gets old having to reset the action with a ruler every time i change strings and clean my guitar. is there a replacement bridge out there that i can lock into one position and leave it there?

would like something quality. also, are there direct replacement locking tuners?

what type of bridge?

nashville or abr-1...

I locked that: picture

post-65368-079431700 1424764265_thumb.jpg

just leave the two E Strings one, slack them enough to pull them so the reset on either side of the nut.. they will be off the fretboard so you can clean/and oil the finger board, and there will be enough room to clean under where the strings usually are.

Oh and.. Calling RCT!! I think he mentioned that had an innovative way of doing this too.

ojeez, somebody remembered!

Get thee a sheet of small discs of cork that are used under bric-a-brac thingies, sticky on one side.

Figure out how much height you need under the set wheels. I need exactly two discs, I stick them sticky side together.

Use a hole punch in the center, and there you go, ready made spacers, put them on when you put the bridge back on.

Mine have been on my les paul for 15 years.

rct

ojeez, somebody remembered!

Get thee a sheet of small discs of cork that are used under bric-a-brac thingies, sticky on one side.

Figure out how much height you need under the set wheels. I need exactly two discs, I stick them sticky side together.

Use a hole punch in the center, and there you go, ready made spacers, put them on when you put the bridge back on.

Mine have been on my les paul for 15 years.

rct

NICE solution! [thumbup]

I use the "stick it down with masking-tape" or "leave the 1st and 6th on" solutions. But I like the idea of this.

I'm guessing it probably adds to the tone as well? ;) [biggrin]

some good replies. thank you all! so, i'm taking it as a no on the locking tuners then? if i get some they will require reamage unless they are the ones that cap said are no good?

I have locking tuners on my 2008 Standard.. but they came as stock so I don't know if they will directly replace what you have or not..

One thing to know (if you don't already) is that locking tuners don't do what most people think they do... They don't lock the tuning in place or anything like that.. What they do is make it much easier to change the strings.. So you pull the string through the peg lock it in place and then you can tune up in less than one turn of the tuner...

I like them.. but they arnt really essential equipment.

I put Faber bridges on both of my LP's for the exact reason you just described. Don't know if it effected tone in either of them, they both still sound like Les Pauls... but the damn bridge doesn't fall off when I remove all of the strings, so mission accomplished!

http://www.faberusa.com/

In my case the head of one saddle screw fell of during intonation (there was no tension on the string, I alway's detune first).

Looked around and I only found set of saddles with screw's no spare screw's nowhere.

And then there was this little difference between the PU covers (nickel) and the stopbar and bridge (chrome).

And after some research I ordered a locking bridge/stopbar set from Tonepros.

Works perfectly, they say it increases sustain, some say that the sound changes and so on.

But I didn't notice no changes, sounded great stock and sound's still great now.

And everything stay's where it belong's during string changes and cleaning.

And unless you change string gauge/brand or action you don't need to intonate anymore.

http://www.tonepros.com/products/

I have locking tuners on my 2008 Standard.. but they came as stock so I don't know if they will directly replace what you have or not..

One thing to know (if you don't already) is that locking tuners don't do what most people think they do... They don't lock the tuning in place or anything like that.. What they do is make it much easier to change the strings.. So you pull the string through the peg lock it in place and then you can tune up in less than one turn of the tuner...

I like them.. but they arnt really essential equipment.

i want the locking tuners for tuning stability. i did it with my strat and now when i tune it, play all i want to, bend all i want to, and the tuning stays where i put it. string changes are alot faster, and that's cool too. but locking tuners, although it doesn't lock the tuner - are more stable because of eliminating the winds on the post, and locking the string in the post hole.

i want the locking tuners for tuning stability. i did it with my strat and now when i tune it, play all i want to, bend all i want to, and the tuning stays where i put it. string changes are alot faster, and that's cool too. but locking tuners, although it doesn't lock the tuner - are more stable because of eliminating the winds on the post, and locking the string in the post hole.

Yes, before there was hardware there was the knot. I've strung every guitar I've ever owned with no winds on the post since 1975.

rct

Yup that is true...

Or you can develop a stringing style where that's less important.. I generally never have and more than 3 winds on my pegs, and I clamp the string down by winding one above and then one or two below the string.... and I don't really have much tuning issues...

Its all good [thumbup]

Archived