Gibson Brands Forums

Scratchy middle position on SG Classic...

sbpark

I just picked up a 2008 SG Classic (P90's). Killer guitar, and sounds fantastic. Only problem is the middle pickup position is very scratchy. Lots of static when playing in the middle position, but no issues when playing either the neck or bridge pickup alone. The problem is just there in the middle position. Cold solder joint perhaps? The guitar appears to be 100% stock. Here's a pic of the wiring inside and a shot of the new (to me) guitar:

20150222_160355_zpsas2eowh7.jpg

20150222_160523_zpspyxoziz9.jpg

Hit it with some contact cleaner and seems like all is well now with the universe. This is an awesome guitar!

[thumbup]

Here's a tip worth sharing: To avoid contact spring fatigue and minimize corrosion as well, it's best to store the guitar in her case with the toggle switch in its middle position.

Having an (almost) similar problem. When the toggle is in the middle position, it appears that the bridge pick-up is not working. Not scratchy but just nothing. Turned the volume off on the neck pick up and tried adjusting the volume on the bridge pick up...no sound. Bridge pick up works fine otherwise. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Having an (almost) similar problem. When the toggle is in the middle position, it appears that the bridge pick-up is not working. Not scratchy but just nothing. Turned the volume off on the neck pick up and tried adjusting the volume on the bridge pick up...no sound. Bridge pick up works fine otherwise. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

First, turning one pickup completely down with the toggle switch in its middle position will short out the signal of the other pickup, too.

Second:

I would probably try cleaning the contacts on the toggle switch.

Just that.

Archived