Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson/Epiphone Comparison

pszy22

I've seen these video comparisons of the Epi and Gibson Hummingbird. I also own both of these guitars. My Epi bird is every bit as much enjoyable to play as my Gibson version. It's sound, while different from the Gibson is captivating. My Epi bird is exquisite in color (true vintage cherry color verses the Gibson drab brown.) Every time I have played my cheaper Epi Cherry bird out...the comments abound about its delightful color and beauty and sound.... "Just beautiful " is often how it is described. I agree. ...Some people are actually not satisfied just hearing it and seeing it...they often want to TOUCH it too!! They lightly graze it with their finger tips cooing Ohhhh and Ahhhh!

...While it is quite obvious to me that the Gibson Hummingbird is clearly the superior guitar in tone, quality and build, you might not always know that by the public's response to the visuals the Epi's version of the Hummingbird seems to produce.

The Gibson bird plays quite well, and is all solid woods to boot...and it is an utter joy to play and hear ....but it is the Epi's true vibrant cherry color that seems to capture the heart of the public it seems. It is a masterpiece of beauty....as the Gibson version once was. While the tone of the Gibson is excellent, and has quality feel and rich ambiance, and looks very good....visually it does not seem to affect the public as positively as the Epi bird. Clearly these two guitars are related in both sound and tone.

But owning both, I can honestly say that there is nothing I can do with the Gibson, that I can not do with the Epi bird. In fact it is a hard decision to make on which to use playing out in public...because while I know the Gibson Hummingbird is the superior guitar...the brilliant and warm reds and rich warm oranges of the Epi bird actually seem to turn on the audience as much as the brown Hummingbird, or more.

It should be noted that while the actual picture of my Gibson Hummingbird...found in my icon, appears lush and warm and delicious..almost like warm orange fire light..it is definitely not...only the camera flash makes it appear so... unfortunately, in reality, it is a dim, rather washed out brown. Nothing like the beautiful Epi version in color. ...The Gibson bird being a shadow... (color wise) ...of what it once was in its glorious earlier days.

Fact is, you can't go wrong with either one of these...it just depends on the money you have to spend, and the visuals you wish to spin ...$300 for the Epi...or $3100 for the Gibson.

I have a Gibson SJ200, an Epi EJ 200, and a recent Epi Ej200SCE.

The Epis are fine well balanced nice loud and sweet instruments, but the Gibby isn a class by itself.

Playing out of doors, at a bar or party, or leading a children's choir at summer camp, the EJ200SCE is the way to go

f2p8nCk.jpg

At restaurant gigs, or in this case the local pie shop, it's the EJ200:

gL7gOjL.jpg

But at a studio session, or church where people actually can hear and listen to my playing, it must be the Gibby every time.

mxvx5z7.jpg

Nothing in this world sounds like a true Gibson J200. I love my Martin, which. i may also use for church and sessions, but for the pure sparkling wine glimmer and sheen of a J200, the Epiphone as truly great as it may be is no real substitute for the real deal.

Both guitars have incredible tone and to my ears the difference in tone isn't enough to warrant such a huge price difference.The speakers in my computer are hardly on par with a pair of Klispch La Scalas but even with lower quality you can get a fair idea when guitars have a similar tonal fingerprint.

My perspective, not so much which is better or worst, or if it's worth the extra money for the Gibson. It's nice to know that a person, perhaps just getting started, does not have to pay a ton of money to get a decent sounding guitar.

I do agree with Guitarlight, I very much like the look as well as the sound of my Epiphone Hummingbird.

a11823e062e8d2082216a1c06840f79e.jpg

I have never been one to trust what I hear on videos or sound bytes.

While I can understand comparing various guitars within the same price range, I think it is bad business to compare guitars like Gibsons and Epihones which are at the opposite ends of a price spectrum. I would say though yeah, it is worth digging deeper (much deeper) in your pocket to get the Gibson. This is in no way slamming Epipohones. I like many of the guitars and have nothing bad to say about them whatsoever. I think in particular the IB Texan and Masterbilts are exceptional instruments. On the other hand, I have never played an EL-00 I would take home.

But if you asked me would I buy an Epi EJ-200 to satisfy a J-200 jones the answer would be nope. But my thing with J-200s is based on my wife's 1960 J-200. Not only would I pass on the Epiphone but the Bozeman-made versions. The old one is very differently built than the newer versions and, as is not to be unexpected, sounds and responds differently. Not a better or worse thing - just different. And as I own two Gibsons made in the 1940s it would seem pretty obvious that I simply prefer Old School Gibson Tone over New School Gibson tone. Not going to get that out of Epiphone or even Gibson unless I am willing to dig really deep in my pocket for a Legend Series guitar or something.

I have never been one to trust what I hear on videos or sound bytes.

While I can understand comparing various guitars within the same price range, I think it is bad business to compare guitars like Gibsons and Epihones which are at the opposite ends of a price spectrum.

How so? Not sure I follow.

Is it bad business for Gibson, retailers, the customer?

You folks may have already seen these, but they were new to me. They are a couple videos comparing the sound of a Gibson and Epiphone Hummingbird. I'm not very good at describing the nuances of sound, but I found these videos interesting -

Gibson_Epi

I too, found the videos interesting also. I only wish I could hear them through Klipsch LaScalas! Even through my laptop speakers, the Gibson sounded a bit more rounded and full, IMO. Would I pay the extra for the Gibson? Nope, but I could see buying the Epiphone.

On sound - just do a listening test of a music video on Youtube and compare it to a 320kbps track downloaded from something like Amazon. Add to that how much difference some clever use of EQ and reverb can make.

On the guitar comparison thing my point was do not waste time listening to the marketers who tell you this is the way to get this or that sound on a budget. Just evaluate a guitar on its own merits not how it is supposed to compare to some legendary instrument from a back catalog or something. Good exapmle, the Gibson AJ. In my opinion they are great sounding guitars. But play one side by side with an original 1930s AJ and you would not think they were even built by the same company. Point is, if you are a dead set on getting a spot on sound reproduction of an AJ you are going to be disappointed. But if you buy the AJ because you like the way it feels and sound than you have a winner.

The closer comparison would seem to be the Gibson Hummingbird Pro Cutaway and the Epiphone Masterbilt DR500mce. The Gibson is short scale and the Epiphone is long, but they are both spruce over hog and all solid. Just sayin'.

In 1974 I had a Lyle Hummingbird that I thought was a Gibson...does that count?

a11823e062e8d2082216a1c06840f79e.jpg

I love that you post that photo as much as you do, because I absolutely love that guitar. If Epiphone still made the solid top hummingbird artist, I would buy one.

One thing that consistently bothers me about Epi's bird, though...why so many dang rings for the rosette? Were they forced to do that to distinguish between's Gibson's more subtle rosette or what?

Based on your numerous posts and threads, I know how much you like your AJ220. I use to have one as well, I played it alot. Once I got the hummingbird, I found the AJ220 didn't get much string time, so I ended up passing it along to a kid who was just getting started playing.

Archived