Gibson Brands Forums

Please weigh in on my Les Paul

C-RAM

I'm curious about my Tobacco Sunburst Les Paul Standard; I'll tell you what I know and include supporting photos -

* I purchased this instrument in 1976 from a local shop (I'm the original owner).

* Although the instrument was NEW when I purchased it, the dealer told me it had "been in inventory" for quite some time - sorry, no details.

* Stamped in the back of the headstock is the serial number 109338 and MADE IN USA. These imprints have grown faint to the eye and are difficult to photograph.

* All of the three remaining original pots are CTS 300kOhm with 1974 date codes.

* Bridge is a Gibson Pat. No. 2,740,313 type with retaining wire.

I've done or paid for a few modifications since I've had this guitar - Sperzel machines (stupid!), an aftermarket bridge with increased saddle travel, Speed knobs and a Craig Anderton preamp built into the control cavity, which sacrificed one of the original volume pots for an Alpha 10k type.

I've recently torn the C. A. preamp and wiring out of the guitar, and am either going to return it to stock configuration or replace the tone pots with Varitones - haven't decided yet. Other than that, the guitar is back to it's stock components.

I've heard that only Deluxes and Customs were produced from 1971 - 1974, but this guitar's serial number doesn't seem to fit. My best guess has always been that this is a '75 - what don't I know, here? [confused]

Fullfront_zps11ffcb99.jpg

Fullback_zps190453f5.jpg

Bodyfront_zps372fb9b7.jpg

Headstockfront_zps5a920cc6.jpg

Headstockback_zpse12638e9.jpg

BestIcando_zps6b30bbcf.jpg

Original74pot_zpsf4b716aa.jpg

74datecodes_zps3be4d9a8.jpg

Original300kCTSpots_zps021c840f.jpg

Another300kread_zpse8acdf22.jpg

I've written about these "pre-production" Standards many times here, so here goes a quick summary.

The "Les Paul Standard" (full size humbuckers) was officially put back into production in late 1975, but did not even appear in the Gibson Dealer price list until June 1976.

Prior to this corporate release, one of the big NY retailers (I forget which one) had contracted Gibson to build some. Between 1971 and the official re-release in late'75/early '76, there were about 1100 "Standards" built.

From the serial number, mahogany neck, and the font on the TRC "Standard", it is very clear this is one of those. So, add this info to the pot codes, ..... and you very clearly have an indisputable 1974 Les Paul Standard.

Information on these guitars is always a back-story to the '75 production models.

Archived