Gibson Brands Forums

2015 gibson les Paul studio

Rondoh

I had to bring back my 2015 Les Paul Studio only after 1 week.Buzzing and popping when contacting the strings,bridge,pickups,jack,chord,etc etc,left me no choice.2 other guitars make no noise at all on my fender Mustang 4 amp.Bought a new "Mogami"cable,and tried 3 cables at GC to no result.Couldnt even move around with the guitar strapped to my body.The tech at guitar center had no trouble with the return and exchange for a new one.This Thursday or Friday,I should have the new one,will keep ya posted.Any1 else having the same issues,please lemme know.Thanks so much,Ron

Hello Rondoh, and welcome here. Sad to hear about your noise problems which most probably occur due to discharge of static electricity.

I know them very well, and some guitars are more prone to them, others less. The most affected ones of mine are a Gibson Government Series II Explorer and a MIM Fender Nashville Power Telecaster with - ironically - retrofitted N3 Noiseless magnetics. Piezos don't cause any problems. Same with my Gibson Custom Alex Lifeson Les Paul Axcess where only the magnetic pickups' signals show the problem.

As for the Gibsons, the electronic compartment covers are the culprits, and on the Fender it's the pickguard. My guess is that the casual combination of plastics and finish is causing this. Definitely sure is a context with the clothing: My Gibsons don't make any noise when I'm wearing a T-shirt full of sweat staying in contact with the plastic back covers, and when my fingers are wet, the Fender is quiet, too. Anyway, using wireless systems is a definitive solution working for them all.

I cross my fingers for you that the relative permittivities of finish and plastics of your forthcoming guitar will accidentally match. This minimizes static charge and subsequent discharge.

Hello Rondoh, and welcome here. Sad to hear about your noise problems which most probably occur due to discharge of static electricity.

I know them very well, and some guitars are more prone to them, others less. The most affected ones of mine are a Gibson Government Series II Explorer and a MIM Fender Nashville Power Telecaster with - ironically - retrofitted N3 Noiseless magnetics. Piezos don't cause any problems. Same with my Gibson Custom Alex Lifeson Les Paul Axcess where only the magnetic pickups' signals show the problem.

As for the Gibsons, the electronic compartment covers are the culprits, and on the Fender it's the pickguard. My guess is that the casual combination of plastics and finish is causing this. Definitely sure is a context with the clothing: My Gibsons don't make any noise when I'm wearing a T-shirt full of sweat staying in contact with the plastic back covers, and when my fingers are wet, the Fender is quiet, too. Anyway, using wireless systems is a definitive solution working for them all.

I cross my fingers for you that the relative permittivities of finish and plastics of your forthcoming guitar will accidentally match. This minimizes static charge and subsequent discharge.

THank you for the speedy response.I do have a "line 6"g 30 wireless system,so cant wait to try that.Here in Ct is quite cold,so yes,my many layers of clothes could've contributed while in my home,but the guy I bought the guitar from,said"Change your environment"see what happens?I brought it to a new London ,CT GC,with a tech in a T shirt,although the static might have been,minimized,was still bad nough for him to replace it.Would shielding those compartment covers with something help?I see that "Carvin"guitars come with brass shielding in their electric compartments,and have many happy costumors,lol.Thank you so much for the communication.Just been playing for 3 years,but have more knowledge thanks to these forums.Keep in touch,Ron

Up to now I didn't any additional shielding, mainly for warranty reasons, but I think that some kind of a Faraday cage inluding back of plastic covers should do the trick. There are forumites who did that in the past and possibly will chime in here posting about it.

• 2 months later...

Up to now I didn't any additional shielding, mainly for warranty reasons, but I think that some kind of a Faraday cage inluding back of plastic covers should do the trick. There are forumites who did that in the past and possibly will chime in here posting about it.

Everyone I've spoken to w/ a 2015 Gibson has extraneous noise issues. Solved by shielding with copper tape, available on Amazon. Make sure to tape the back of the control cover as well as the interior of the cavity.

Good luck, the noise is annoying.

I had to bring back my 2015 Les Paul Studio only after 1 week

Was it doing this initially? Or you didn't notice till the awe wore off? [biggrin]

Could be many things, hang in there and let them check it out.

Archived