Gibson Brands Forums

First post - First SG!

babysnakes

Hello! This is my first post....

Yesterday I bought my first SG and I'm very happy with the purchase.

It's a red 2009 '61 Reissue. I found it on craigslist; the guy was asking 850 and I got it knocked down to 750 since he was keeping the hard case for his next SG (hard case wasn't an option with him - will have to be ordering one shortly here).

It's in really good condition. Has maybe one small ding that's barely noticeable. The neck is very straight - maybe too straight. There is some slight fret buzz on the wound strings and I'm thinking giving the truss rod a little relief will fix it, though I haven't touched it yet. The grain on the body is really nice, they chose a great piece of wood. The thing plays great, the frets are almost like new, all around it's just a great guitar.

I restrung it with a fresh set of d'addario 10s, checked the intonation and it was already almost perfect. Through my vox ac15 i'm really loving all of the sounds so far. Haven't plugged it in to the pedal board yet, really looking forward to playing around with this later this evening...

So what do you think - $750; did I score a pretty good deal? Decent? It looks like people are paying quite a bit more in many cases... I sent an email to Gibson inquiring about the serial number, and was told the MSRP for these when new was 3,299....

Thanks!

post-70805-070437300 1424798070_thumb.jpg

Hello! This is my first post....

Yesterday I bought my first SG and I'm very happy with the purchase.

It's a red 2009 '61 Reissue. I found it on craigslist; the guy was asking 850 and I got it knocked down to 750 since he was keeping the hard case for his next SG (hard case wasn't an option with him - will have to be ordering one shortly here).

It's in really good condition. Has maybe one small ding that's barely noticeable. The neck is very straight - maybe too straight. There is some slight fret buzz on the wound strings and I'm thinking giving the truss rod a little relief will fix it, though I haven't touched it yet. The grain on the body is really nice, they chose a great piece of wood. The thing plays great, the frets are almost like new, all around it's just a great guitar.

I restrung it with a fresh set of d'addario 10s, checked the intonation and it was already almost perfect. Through my vox ac15 i'm really loving all of the sounds so far. Haven't plugged it in to the pedal board yet, really looking forward to playing around with this later this evening...

So what do you think - $750; did I score a pretty good deal? Decent? It looks like people are paying quite a bit more in many cases... I sent an email to Gibson inquiring about the serial number, and was told the MSRP for these when new was 3,299....

Thanks!

I think ya done good Sir!

Congrats on this nice '61 RI SG, Babysnakes! [thumbup] Sorry, I'm reluctant to abbreviate your nickname typing BS [scared] :P

MSRPs are not a real measure, but in my opinion you made a good deal if she's all original and without a neck repair. The '61 neck shape is a bit sensitive at the peghead close to the nut... I share your opinion and would get a hardshell case for her as soon as possible.

SAAA_WEET! I dunno if you got a good deal monitarily; I'm new to SGs and Gibson myself. But HOT DANG! That is a real looker!I'd guess by the price I'm seeing on lesser guitars that you did indeed make out well. If that plays half as good as it looks you're in the gravy man! Don't leave that laying around anywhere- guitars that look that good could make an honest man go bad... <_<

Seriously- congrats and post some more pics!

Brian

Thanks guys! Yeah I'm pretty stoked on the purchase, this may now be the nicest guitar I own, though it's a tough call between this and my '76 Ibanez Artist 2630. This is definitely in better condition, and made in the USA!

Thanks for the recommendation on guitarfetish and rondo cases. I hadn't thought of that.

My main concern with buying a case for this, is it not being very good.... I've had cheap cases where the body isn't supported underneath the neck joint, and it puts all this pressure on the neck where it rests in the case...

Can anybody vouch for any case in particular, that is really good fit for this guitar?

On the cheap end I'm looking at the guitar fetish Xavier cases, and the musicians gear ones on musicians friend, about the same price at ~60 bucks. Then there's the epiphone sg case, which I can get for 80-95 depending on where. There's this brown Gator case for 109, and then the gibson one that's 199 (not going to happen)

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GWSGBROWN

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/musicians-gear-deluxe-sgs-solid-guitar-style-hardshell-case

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Black-Deluxe-Hardshell-Case-fits-SG-Guitars_p_2479.html

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/epiphone-sg-hardshell-case?pdpSearchTerm=sg%20case

What do you guys recommend?

Thanks guys! Yeah I'm pretty stoked on the purchase, this may now be the nicest guitar I own, though it's a tough call between this and my '76 Ibanez Artist 2630. This is definitely in better condition, and made in the USA!

Thanks for the recommendation on guitarfetish and rondo cases. I hadn't thought of that.

My main concern with buying a case for this, is it not being very good.... I've had cheap cases where the body isn't supported underneath the neck joint, and it puts all this pressure on the neck where it rests in the case...

Can anybody vouch for any case in particular, that is really good fit for this guitar?

On the cheap end I'm looking at the guitar fetish Xavier cases, and the musicians gear ones on musicians friend, about the same price at ~60 bucks. Then there's the epiphone sg case, which I can get for 80-95 depending on where. There's this brown Gator case for 109, and then the gibson one that's 199 (not going to happen)

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GWSGBROWN

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/musicians-gear-deluxe-sgs-solid-guitar-style-hardshell-case

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Black-Deluxe-Hardshell-Case-fits-SG-Guitars_p_2479.html

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/epiphone-sg-hardshell-case?pdpSearchTerm=sg%20case

What do you guys recommend?

I am no case expert, but the SG I just received today is in a TKL made for an SG (Canadian manufactured). I bought it with the guitar as the guitar came with a gig bag originally. Paid $69.00 for the case- they sell on Amazon for $115.00. Nice enough case EXCEPT it does what you have just described- no full support under the upper body so the guitar rests on it's neck. Bad JuJu IMHO. I'll be getting some soft foam and asking my wife to fit a cloth cover for it to place under this area. And although I love my new guitar, it is not as nice or expensive as yours is.

I've heard very good things about the ATA style cases and just saw one for an SG that is built to support an SG completely but it came in around $200.00.

Congrats to you and me! If I come across anything that will work I'll let you know.

Brian

The deluxe TKL SG (model # 8826) version with the arched top (lid) does indeed provide the under the neck joint support. It's ramped perfectly. Not to be confused with the lower level flat top (lid) TKL model # 7826 mentioned earlier in this thread..

TKL link : My link

This case is the exact same as the offical Gibson factory case, and made by TKL as well. I broke down and bought one and it completely supports the neck joint area. Best price I can find is 172 bucks with free shipping, well worth the investment.

Gibson SG case : My link

I would strongly avoid the SG cases from guitarfetish! I bought one of the ostrich skin versions and it was WAY too big. The guitar body had over an inch of empty space on each side and was too deep.

The deluxe TKL SG (model # 8826) version with the arched top (lid) does indeed provide the under the neck joint support. It's ramped perfectly. Not to be confused with the lower level flat top (lid) TKL model # 7826 mentioned earlier in this thread..

TKL link : My link

This case is the exact same as the offical Gibson factory case, and made by TKL as well. I broke down and bought one and it completely supports the neck joint area. Best price I can find is 172 bucks with free shipping, well worth the investment.

Gibson SG case : My link

I would strongly avoid the SG cases from guitarfetish! I bought one of the ostrich skin versions and it was WAY too big. The guitar body had over an inch of empty space on each side and was too deep.

Thank you, that helps a lot.

One case that I'm seriously considering is the gator one http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GWSGBROWN

In the closeup photo of the inside it does appear to have support under the neck joint the way it should. Obviously how well positioned it is I'm not going to be able to determine by the photo... But I have to admit I really like the brown and hot pink color scheme for some reason also. Looks like a cool old case. Anyone wanna chime in on that one? Is that a good choice? I'ts a bit cheaper than the TKL also.

Thank you, that helps a lot.

One case that I'm seriously considering is the gator one http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GWSGBROWN

In the closeup photo of the inside it does appear to have support under the neck joint the way it should. Obviously how well positioned it is I'm not going to be able to determine by the photo... But I have to admit I really like the brown and hot pink color scheme for some reason also. Looks like a cool old case. Anyone wanna chime in on that one? Is that a good choice? I'ts a bit cheaper than the TKL also.

That Gator case looks awesome.

I just got an SG and have been trying to find a case for it (without spending $200) I ordered the Musician's Gear case from Music. Friend but the guitar didn't seem to fit right. Looked like it was made for a hollow body. Picture didn't match the case that I received and different part number. I tried Guitar Center. Same case, same results. The shape fits perfectly but all the support is on the neck. The body of the guitar is fully an inch off the padding behind the neck pickup. I'm puzzled about the poor design of a case that is supposed to be made specifically for an SG. OK, there's my short/long story of warning about that case.

And now to order one of those cool as s*** looking brown and pink Gator cases!

Thanks everybody. Will definitely add more pics when I have a chance.

I really love the guitar, my last two days after work have been spent alternating between blasting my neighbors with fuzz and just staring lovingly at this guitar like my first born child.

I think I'm gonna go with the hot pink gator case, too cool to pass up, I agree, thanks for the tip on the cheapo case

And yes definitely a Zappa fan here, part of what attracted me to the sg in the first place, buti know his were heavily modified. I'm definitely going to at least add coil tapping and out off phase switching to this at some point, but right now the electronic stuff is just too overwhelming.

Thanks everybody. Will definitely add more pics when I have a chance.

I really love the guitar, my last two days after work have been spent alternating between blasting my neighbors with fuzz and just staring lovingly at this guitar like my first born child.

I think I'm gonna go with the hot pink gator case, too cool to pass up, I agree, thanks for the tip on the cheapo case

And yes definitely a Zappa fan here, part of what attracted me to the sg in the first place, buti know his were heavily modified. I'm definitely going to at least add coil tapping and out off phase switching to this at some point, but right now the electronic stuff is just too overwhelming.

Cool tapping and phase switching will not work with those pickups unless you take them apart and add four-wire leads.

You can do a phase switch on two wire pups, but not coil tapping unless you get 4 wire pups or take them apart. For phasing you just need a DPDT switch or push pull pot. In the diagram below on the 4 wire pup, 2 of the wires are soldered external to the pup, and in a 2 wire pup the 2 coils are connected in the same way but you don't see the connections because it is done internally, and the pup has tape around it for an open coil, or it has a metal cover.

http://www.seymourdu...witching_for_hb

I see. That's fine because the out of phase sound I think is maybe more important to me than coil tapping anyway. I'd really like to be able to get that sound. I almost want to hard wire it that way ala peter green.

Honestly, that is still confusing to me though. Is there a step-by-step set of instructions for, for example, adding just a push-pull volume pot for the neck pickup that puts the pickups out of phase when pulled up?

Maybe I should start watching youtube videos.. Or maybe I should pay somebody to do it. Schematics throw me for a loop every time - for example what if I have the switch upside down (does that matter) or where exactly are those wires coming from and going to... where in the circuit am I inserting this switch... I guess I need to do some studying. But this would be a good place to start figuring it out...

You can do a phase switch on two wire pups, but not coil tapping unless you get 4 wire pups or take them apart. For phasing you just need a DPDT switch or push pull pot. In the diagram below on the 4 wire pup, 2 of the wires are soldered external to the pup, and in a 2 wire pup the 2 coils are connected in the same way but you don't see the connections because it is done internally, and the pup has tape around it for an open coil, or it has a metal cover.

http://www.seymourdu...witching_for_hb

In any case it takes a 2-wire plus shield wired pickup. One wire plus shield won't do.

I see. That's fine because the out of phase sound I think is maybe more important to me than coil tapping anyway. I'd really like to be able to get that sound. I almost want to hard wire it that way ala peter green.

According to informations on the web, Peter Green's guitar seems to have left the factory with one pickup out of polarity. A 2012 Gibson Les Paul I returned came that way, too. The reversed neck pickup mount is a different story and doesn't play a role here.

I see

I'm reading conflicting stuff, I can't wrap my head around electronics... Will likely end up paying somebody to do mods on my guitar as I don't want to screw it up. Should probably mess around with a cheaper guitar first.

I swear I read somewhere that all you have to do to make the neck pick up out of phase is swap the two wires coming out of it, is that correct? That might be simple enough for me, if that's true. And I kinda think I could deal with losing the regular middle position for a while if I could get that cool out-of-phase tone in its place, until I either decide to add a switch or put it back in phase. Middle position has never been my favorite on the gibson pickup/control configuration anyway... I want some weird nasally quacky tone, something that will cut through and sound awesome with some fuzz... that's part of what I love about my strat. This is definitely a different beast altogether, I know, and honestly I'm having trouble deciding which is 'better' or which I like more, as if I have to choose one... I can't help it, I want a guitar that I feel is 'the one', but I guess that's why I just keep buying more and more and building up my collection - no one is going to cover it all, they're tools.

As for the case, I ordered that sweet brown gator case with the fuzzy pink interior, think it's going to make a nice home for this guitar with a pretty vintage look.

I see

I'm reading conflicting stuff, I can't wrap my head around electronics... Will likely end up paying somebody to do mods on my guitar as I don't want to screw it up. Should probably mess around with a cheaper guitar first.

I swear I read somewhere that all you have to do to make the neck pick up out of phase is swap the two wires coming out of it, is that correct? That might be simple enough for me, if that's true. And I kinda think I could deal with losing the regular middle position for a while if I could get that cool out-of-phase tone in its place, until I either decide to add a switch or put it back in phase. Middle position has never been my favorite on the gibson pickup/control configuration anyway... I want some weird nasally quacky tone, something that will cut through and sound awesome with some fuzz... that's part of what I love about my strat. This is definitely a different beast altogether, I know, and honestly I'm having trouble deciding which is 'better' or which I like more, as if I have to choose one... I can't help it, I want a guitar that I feel is 'the one', but I guess that's why I just keep buying more and more and building up my collection - no one is going to cover it all, they're tools.

As for the case, I ordered that sweet brown gator case with the fuzzy pink interior, think it's going to make a nice home for this guitar with a pretty vintage look.

Could you post pics of how well the new SG fits the Gator case when you get it? Thanks!

Could you post pics of how well the new SG fits the Gator case when you get it? Thanks!

Yeah definitely

I got it from guitar center, so worst case scenario, it doesn't fit well, I can drive a half hour to guitar center and get my money back and hopefully get something better (they didn't have them in stock there so had to order by phone - got em to knock 10% off)

But I read a review on the gc website where somebody stated the case under the body has a perfect slope to hold the guitar up so that no undue pressure is made on the neck and headstock, and after closely inspecting the photos, I think it's going to be perfect. I'll update when it gets here sometime next week.

• 3 weeks later...

Gator case arrived and has been used for transport successfully. It really is a nice looking case inside and out. Of course you have to like the bright fuschia upholstery and cover. I do!

Two issues that keep it from being a 10.

First, even though it has the ramp shaped cushion under the neck pick up area, the guitar is still at least a half inch in the air. Weight is still mostly on the neck. I give on this point. Apparently there is no perfect fit case for an SG. Second, the latches are fairly loose. I can almost unhitch one of them without flipping the lever up. No accidents during my first trip with it but I was watchful. I probably should have returned it for another one with better latches but this is my third try and I needed to use it. I give the Gator Sg case a 8.5. Plust I got a great deal from Musician's Friend for my trouble.

I might have a look at a Gibson case just to see if there really is a better fit. Not that I'd spend $200. I only spend $350 on the guitar.

I'd like to know if anyone else gets this case and has similar results.

Good luck.

Bill

Archived