Gibson Brands Forums

Joining Your Ranks II PICS ADDED!

Silvercrow

Well, the UPS guy came early today and the case warmed up adequately for me to open and inspect my new to me '08 SG Special Ltd. Ed. Blue Mist. WOW_WOW_WOW this dog is happy! The guitar cosmetically is flawless- no dings, scratches...nothing. I'm wondering did the guy (or gal) who owned this play it at all? Good thing for me...

The action is incredible- low like I like it, but not too low (no buzzes as I did some runs up and down all strings). For whatever reason the treble pup is set very close to the strings. I'm at work so I can't plug her in (yes...I did take it to work to warm up, couldn't wait till 5PM tonight!). More on that later.

Access to the upper frets is phenominal- to me I guess cause I'm not used to having an SG. Where have I been all these years? [blink]

Complaint Department: nothing to do with the guy I got it from. It has the slightest, the very slightest ridge along where the fretboard joins the neck proper. I've read recently that another guy experienced this with a Gibson- forgot the model or where I read it. Looks like a manufacturing imperfection. I don't believe it will bother me, but I'm still in the honeymoon phase of this purchase. Anyone else reading this experience this? I don't think the fretboard (ebony) has shrunk as there is no fret sprout- but the frets were probably re-done relative to edge dressing- I've never seen a factory edge dressing this nice.

Pics will follow tonight-Promise! I dusted off my Photobucket account and hopefully I'll figure out which link to use to get the pics on here.

Anyway- I'm continuing to inspect between meetings. More to follow.

Oh- it reportedly has 490T and 490R pickups- from the sound clips I've geard they sound pretty sweet to me. I really like the Burstbuckers on the LP Studio Faded and as far as output on the Gibson charts they seem similar. I guess I'll see [drool]

Like a kid with a new toy, is what I am!

Hats off to Chris' Guitars near Albany N.Y.! Great guy to deal with- quick and smooth transaction- took his time talking to me; very happy with the deal.

Brian

PS_Was plesently surprised to find the "old school" way of wiring was done with my new guitar. The pots are branded "Gibson and there is a date "4/08 PP" written on one of the pots. I have nothing against the PC board way of mounting but I can solder and it's nice to know I cn go in and do things easily.

2-201520019_2.jpg

ea7b0bfd-438a-4191-bebc-a5a68b1c73ce.jpg

Hi Silvercrow, congrats with your new guitar. :)

I've experienced the same thing concerning a ridge where the fretboard and neck meet on my Gibson SG 60s tribute. The only way I can describe it, its as if the masking tape that was used to protect the fretboard for preparation for the spray booth, was a little too thick, so when the masking tape was removed after being sprayed a miniscule ridge was formed. The strange thing is the more I've played my guitar (love my Gibson SG, play her 4 hours a day before work) the ridge has gone, now fretboard/neck flush. The finish on my SG is satin vintage sunburst.

Looking forward to the photos. When I use Photobucket I copy and paste the 'IMG' link that begins with 'URL'. I'm currently using a Samsung Tab3 as my laptop packed up. :) :)

Hi Silvercrow, congrats with your new guitar. :)

I've experienced the same thing concerning a ridge where the fretboard and neck meet on my Gibson SG 60s tribute. The only way I can describe it, its as if the masking tape that was used to protect the fretboard for preparation for the spray booth, was a little too thick, so when the masking tape was removed after being sprayed a miniscule ridge was formed. The strange thing is the more I've played my guitar (love my Gibson SG, play her 4 hours a day before work) the ridge has gone, now fretboard/neck flush. The finish on my SG is satin vintage sunburst.

Looking forward to the photos. When I use Photobucket I copy and paste the 'IMG' link that begins with 'URL'. I'm currently using a Samsung Tab3 as my laptop packed up. :) :)

Thanks for the info- both on the neck and the image posting! Whew- makes me feel better knowing what that was. Upon closer inspection I believe that what I was feebly trying to describe is what you succinctly described. Thanks again!

Brian

Gosh I love this guitar! I've never had an action this low play with no buzzes, all the way up the board and even with wicked bends in the upper positions it doesn't fret out. There is a "slight" neck relief...don't know how this is working but I like it...I like it!! [thumbup]

The neck profile is VERY good for me- not as chunky as the 50s (which I also love BTW)but not as slender as the 60s profile. I played a 60s profile at my local git shop and I'm sure lots of folks love it- but not me. I'm not a real fast player- definitely not a shredder. I think Gibson calls this a "C" profile(?).

I'll take another pic or two tomorrow- tonight I just cleaned her up for the "press". She'll get a good going over soon. I'd like to show the ebony board- has just two position markers; 5th fret and 12th fret (your guess is good as mine [confused] ) but all the side dots are present.

Brian

This is a great one, Silvercrow, and looks rather silver sparkle than blue, so she will match your forum nickname better. [biggrin]

Congrats, beautiful catch! [love] Keep on enjoying the ebony board. They are pretty rare on recent guitars.

This is a great one, Silvercrow, and looks rather silver sparkle than blue, so she will match your forum nickname better. [biggrin]

Congrats, beautiful catch! [love] Keep on enjoying the ebony board. They are pretty rare on recent guitars.

Thanks Bro! And yes...it does have a silvery aspect to it. My wife complimented it...twice! Unusual as she usually only likes natural wood finishes as on my acoustic.

It matches my screen name AND my hair! I'm fortunate to have a full head o' thick hair at 58 YOA...but it is ALL grey. Hey-the wife thinks it's sexy...all that counts [wink]

Brian

Congrats on a great SG Silvercrow.

The 2008 SG LTD Blue Mist was a Guitar Center special, originally $999. with hardshell case.

IMHO it is very unique with the headstock, neck, front and back of the body all the same color, and ebony fretboard with dots at only 5th and 12th frets.

Mine plays great with very low action as well, and is definitely blue,(doesn't look as silvery as some). This color is often mistaken for Pelham Blue.

Congrats on a great SG Silvercrow.

The 2008 SG LTD Blue Mist was a Guitar Center special, originally $999. with hardshell case.

IMHO it is very unique with the headstock, neck, front and back of the body all the same color, and ebony fretboard with dots at only 5th and 12th frets.

Mine plays great with very low action as well, and is definitely blue,(doesn't look as silvery as some). This color is often mistaken for Pelham Blue.

Thanks RRider! Good to know. I got mine from Chris' guitars near Albany NY. It came with a new TKL case made for SGs; maybe the original case got sold previously or something like that I'd consider it 9/10 easily.

Yours does look more blue to me via your avatar. However mine looks darker in indirect light- pretty silvery in direct lighting. Having said that, I'm a little "hue" colorblind- its hard for me to distinguish shades and hues of colors, especially green/yellow, some blues, certain metallic finishes. I'm thinking of buffing this out...maybe. It has a metallic aspect to it that I think would look great. But I like it just the way it is and am afraid of messing it up. Better to leave well enough alone...?

Brian

Archived