Gibson Brands Forums

Early 80's Matsumoku Sheraton

blorgy

Was wondering what people's thoughts were on these early 80's Matsumoku Sheratons.

I recently acquired one, but haven't opened it up to check out the guts yet, as I've been a bit intimidated by it seeing as it's my first semi hollowbody and the guitar is as old as I am :)

I love the playability and the sound for the most part, but feel like it could be a little better/tighter with either A) a wiring harness upgrade, or B) new pickups. Like I said, this is my first SHB and I know my Les Pauls have benefited from upgraded wiring harnesses in the past.

Does anybody know which pickups these came with stock?

Has anyone ever modded one of these before (whether it be new wiring, pickups, etc.)?

I am currently using this as a backup to my LP, so was thinking about dropping in some 57 classics (which I have in my LP) in it to give it a similar tone. I do realize it won't sound the same as my Les Paul, I just feel like it's missing some clarity with the current electronics.

Hello.

Can't help you with regards to modifications, but believe the stock pickups are Maxon MMK 75's.

I was lucky to get my hands on one of these last week - please see the other thread.

Thanks for the info, Aldo! I actually did see your thread prior to posting, and we have the same model, just about a year apart, as mine's an '82. Just a wonderful little axe!

I guess I'll have to open her up a little bit to see if those are indeed the stock MMK 75's. I still might try dropping a 335 wiring harness in there, as doing so to my LP Trad has totally transformed it for the better. From there I'll see if it opens it up enough or could go for a pickup swap.

Archived