Gibson Brands Forums

Potentially scored

Tman

I've been looking for a 12 string for the last few months and vacillating between a Rickenbacker, Gibson 335 Memphis, and a Guild acoustic. I am a lover of Gibson acoustics but my brother has a Guild 12 and it is fabulous.

BUT, I was perusing Reverb for 12's looking at all comers and saw this at a great price, much better than others I saw that were in way worse condition. It is in excellent shape and even has the hang tags from 1969! What's funny is that I bought a 1969 EBO bass with the hang tags from Norman's rare guitars in Tarzana last year. I'm now officially a collector of 69 Gibson's with hang tags.

This looks in great shape and I can't wait to play it. I read through the forum before I committed and saw a number of drawbacks about this guitar including cave -in (which this doesn't have), non optimal trapeze tailpiece, wide chunky neck, etc. I'd love to hear anyone's experiences with B-45 12's, good or bad.

xmstkjqrqu0cmuqzuwra_zpsmenwr5wp.jpguxpdpne6wyywyi6zsg1x_zpsctvdrjsc.jpgmp095htdpvfcwnvmkutu_zpsirovvpcg.jpgin30zggdmjrz0xfb6j8w_zpsvfmqnzdw.jpg

And there they are in the case!

lae50lwpqdordyhs84ie_zpsranzqjti.jpg

Congrats.

I do not think you have too much to worry about the top on a 1969 B45-12. Collapsing tops and such are far more common with the B45-12s made before 1965 which were very lightly braced. These early B45-12s did have a habit of imploding, especially those with the fixed bridge. In late 1964 Gibson started using a much heavier top bracing to help stabilize the tops. They are pretty much built like tanks. Also while the necks are wide they are actually fairly shallow.

Congrats.

I do not think you have too much to worry about the top on a 1969 B45-12. Collapsing tops and such are far more common with the B45-12s made before 1965 which were very lightly braced. These early B45-12s did have a habit of imploding, especially those with the fixed bridge. In late 1964 Gibson started using a much heavier top bracing to help stabilize the tops. They are pretty much built like tanks. Also while the necks are wide they are actually fairly shallow.

Thanks. I was hoping for the wide but shallow neck but the guy whom I bought it from used the word chunky. I may be in love at first site/play. In your experience did the heavier bracing have a major effect on dampening the sound and making it muddy (something else I read)? I actually like a basier 12 string sound unlike the majority who like the trebly jangle (my impression).

No experiences here, but this one looks fine to me - congrats on your nice catch! [love][thumbup]

Thanks Caps! I never come out on the good end of a deal like this so I am excited that the potential for a real score is there. [thumbup]

Tman, the "potential" sure looks good from here. I hope it turns out well for you. ..... Just looked again and it still looks good!

steve

lol, I keep looking at the photos and squint just a bit with the hopes of not focusing in on an imperfection that I surely have missed. [scared][crying][biggrin]

I mean it's a 1969 and I was 9 y/o when it was made. That being said, the EBO was near mint so I'm hoping the hang tags are a good omen. [blink]

Thanks. I was hoping for the wide but shallow neck but the guy whom I bought it from used the word chunky. I may be in love at first site/play. In your experience did the heavier bracing have a major effect on dampening the sound and making it muddy (something else I read)? I actually like a basier 12 string sound unlike the majority who like the trebly jangle (my impression).

Descriptions of necks usually depends on your frame of reference. As I said, the neck is wide, the guitar has a 2" nut. But the carve of the neck is far shallower than say a 1950s Gibson. To me they feel very much like the necks on the 6 string Gibson Folk Singer.

The B45-12 is not what I would ever describe as jangly sounding 12 string like say a Guild. They have a nice honk to them though. I always thought mine sounds like a Hummingbird with a chorus pedal. Comparing my 1963 B45-12 to later guitars, though, the heavier bracing on the post 1964 guitars, obviously, does dampen the sound. The bottom line is that with the B45-12 survival trumped sound. Those early B45-12s literally could twist themselves apart with the problem only getting worse when Gibson switched to a fixed bridge in 1963 (Gibson used at least three different bridge configurations with the guitar). The only way to stabilize the top was to add more bracing.

Descriptions of necks usually depends on your frame of reference. As I said, the neck is wide, the guitar has a 2" nut. But the carve of the neck is far shallower than say a 1950s Gibson. To me they feel very much like the necks on the 6 string Gibson Folk Singer.

The B45-12 is not what I would ever describe as jangly sounding 12 string like say a Guild. They have a nice honk to them though. I always thought mine sounds like a Hummingbird with a chorus pedal. Comparing my 1963 B45-12 to later guitars, though, the heavier bracing on the post 1964 guitars, obviously, does dampen the sound. The bottom line is that with the B45-12 survival trumped sound. Those early B45-12s literally could twist themselves apart with the problem only getting worse when Gibson switched to a fixed bridge in 1963 (Gibson used at least three different bridge configurations with the guitar). The only way to stabilize the top was to add more bracing.

Thanks a lot, very helpful perspective.

I've owned a couple of them and actually like the necks a lot; fairly wide which to me is a good thing in a 12, but with a nice shallow profile - "chunky" is not a term I would apply. They feel pretty big if you're a thumb hanger (which I can tend to be) but almost perfect if you play with your thumb behind the neck. I showed up at an audition once with one and it got me the job; the club owner said anyone who played a guitar like Gordon Lightfoot's was good enough for him [biggrin] .

They have a unique sound which I quite like; I own a jumbo Guild 12 now, but kinda miss having a Gibson around.

I've owned a couple of them and actually like the necks a lot; fairly wide which to me is a good thing in a 12, but with a nice shallow profile - "chunky" is not a term I would apply. They feel pretty big if you're a thumb hanger (which I can tend to be) but almost perfect if you play with your thumb behind the neck. I showed up at an audition once with one and it got me the job; the club owner said anyone who played a guitar like Gordon Lightfoot's was good enough for him [biggrin] .

They have a unique sound which I quite like; I own a jumbo Guild 12 now, but kinda miss having a Gibson around.

Great story about the audition. [thumbup][biggrin] .

General question: what strings do you like? Ever tried flat wound 12"s?

I'm not really a string nut; lights, and usually whatever was on sale - GHS, Guild, D'Angelico, whatever. To be honest the last strings on my 12 were probably a couple of years old [blush] . A few months ago I put a set of Elixir Nanowebs on it; I love them on my J-200 but don't really care for them on the 12.

Wow it arrived today. It is so clean, they must have used virtuoso. Hang tags were there. Finish has some checking which is cool and can be seen in the close up photo. Tuners and bridge and really the whole guitar looks barely played. First photo looks matte but it's just the lights and my photography skills, it is very glossy.

Even the case, which had a handle replaced looks fantastic. Serial is from 1969. The only thing I wonder about is why the orange sticker isn't in the sound hole? Did they make some without the sticker?

IMG_2839_zpspsvesvh4.jpgIMG_2840_zpsn18bcdbt.jpgIMG_2841_zpseehikpv5.jpg

IMG_2842_zpsuvjd3iam.jpg

btw the mason jar is partially filled with dehydrated chicken broth.

Thanks! I'm already playing it here at work and people are peaking into my room to see what's up.

Came up with some lyrics: Hey, you've got to hide your broth away..............

Wait that sounds familiar. He played a Framus anyway.

HOLY MOLY!!! I dont think they come cleaner than that [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup] CONGRATS!!!

Thanks! It's pretty amazing.

I watched John Lennon play hide your love while on the exercycle the other day and thought for sure it was s B-45 but alas, apparently not.

Archived