Gibson Brands Forums

Slim Taper Neck vs. JP Custom Neck

Zeppeholic

Hello!

I haven't been on the forums in a good 6 months, and I've been doing a lot of research on Gibsons and such.

I have a huge question that I can't seen to find the answer to. I know that Jimmy Page (Zeppelin) had a '58/'59 LP in which the neck was shaved down, the Gibson CS did a reissue in the 90's and mid 2000s with a more accurate take on that neck. My question is, how does this neck profile compare to a 1960 Slim-Taper neck?

The dimensions for the JP LP are;

Frets;

1. 21.67mm

2. 20.3mm

3. 20.00mm

4. 19.87mm

5. 19.87mm

6. 20.08mm

7. 20.34mm

8. 22.02mm

9. 22.7mm

10. 20.96mm

11. 21.47mm

12. 22.02mm

13. 22.7mm

How do these dimensions compare to a 60's slim-taper neck? Is it slimmer or thicker?

Thanks,

-Zeppeholic

Did you measure those or get them from a spec sheet. Seems like the dimensions keep going up and down a from the 1st to the 13th fret.

Someone who had the JP LP actually measured each fret up to the 13th, and they do up and down really awkwardly, but the pictures of Page's Les Paul's neck shows it being ridiculously slim

Zeppeholic on 26 February 2015 - 04:02 AM, said

"I haven't been on the forums in a good 6 months, and I've been doing a lot of research on Gibsons and such.

I have a huge question that I can't seen to find the answer to. I know that Jimmy Page (Zeppelin) had a '58/'59 LP in which the neck was shaved down, the Gibson CS did a reissue in the 90's and mid 2000s with a more accurate take on that neck. My question is, how does this neck profile compare to a 1960 Slim-Taper neck?"

I think Les Paul production was stopped in 1960, and the neck at that time, from sometime in 1958 to 1960 was as far as I know still quite bulky, but slimmer than a 57? The guitar that replaced the unpopular (at the time) and old fashioned Les Paul was the SG, with the double bat-like cutaways. This I think had a slimmer neck profile than the Les Paul it replaced? I think production of Les Pauls began again in the late sixties after being popularised by some of the best guitarists in 68 or 69? This revised Les Paul was a poorer offspring, a slimmer neck, and I think a shorter tenon neck joint and perhaps less than 17° angle for the headstock?

Or am I wrong, was there a 1960 slim-taper neck option of the 1959 Lest Paul?

I bought a Peter Green reissue, this has a reduced neck profile, I didn't get on with it, the guitar was badly built too, so I swapped it for a standard 1959 reissue. I think neck profiles are really down to personal taste, some like them thick, some like them thin :)

Zeppeholic on 26 February 2015 - 04:02 AM, said

"I haven't been on the forums in a good 6 months, and I've been doing a lot of research on Gibsons and such.

I have a huge question that I can't seen to find the answer to. I know that Jimmy Page (Zeppelin) had a '58/'59 LP in which the neck was shaved down, the Gibson CS did a reissue in the 90's and mid 2000s with a more accurate take on that neck. My question is, how does this neck profile compare to a 1960 Slim-Taper neck?"

I think Les Paul production was stopped in 1960, and the neck at that time, from sometime in 1958 to 1960 was as far as I know still quite bulky, but slimmer than a 57? The guitar that replaced the unpopular (at the time) and old fashioned Les Paul was the SG, with the double bat-like cutaways. This I think had a slimmer neck profile than the Les Paul it replaced? I think production of Les Pauls began again in the late sixties after being popularised by some of the best guitarists in 68 or 69? This revised Les Paul was a poorer offspring, a slimmer neck, and I think a shorter tenon neck joint and perhaps less than 17° angle for the headstock?

Or am I wrong, was there a 1960 slim-taper neck option of the 1959 Lest Paul?

I bought a Peter Green reissue, this has a reduced neck profile, I didn't get on with it, the guitar was badly built too, so I swapped it for a standard 1959 reissue. I think neck profiles are really down to personal taste, some like them thick, some like them thin :)

Uh... I'm aware of the Les Paul's history and neck profiles to specific years and such... But this had nothing to do with anything I asked, nor was it in the realm of it.. My question was how does the slim Jimmy Page neck profile compare to the 1960 slimtaper neck in terms of shape and measurements... Is it thinner, more round, etc?

Uh... I'm aware of the Les Paul's history and neck profiles to specific years and such... But this had nothing to do with anything I asked, nor was it in the realm of it.. My question was how does the slim Jimmy Page neck profile compare to the 1960 slimtaper neck in terms of shape and measurements... Is it thinner, more round, etc?

The realm of your question was "how does the slim Jimmy Page neck profile compare to the 1960 slimtaper neck in terms of shape and measurements... Is it thinner, more round, etc?"

The point I was trying to make was that I don't think that the 1960 neck profile was thin, I believe that it was the same as the late 58 through to when production ceased in 1960 of what is generally referred to as the 1959 model. I think it was only when Les Paul production was restarted in the late sixties that the neck profile was thinner, or am I wrong?

If I'm correct, then a 1960 neck would be much thicker than a slimmed down neck, such as Peter Green's modified neck. I was trying to contribute to your question. Please, if I am wrong let me know, was there a 1960 slim-tapered neck? If I can learn something here, then that's what this forum is all about.

I can tell you as a fact that the Page made in 2004 at Custom had a neck profile that was slimmer than a 60. (but not all 60's are exactly the same anyway) The profile went from a somewhat normal at first fret, to a slimmer at the middle of the neck, and then back up to about a slime 60 profile. I went to a Gibson Fantasy Camp for Custom Direct members in 2004 and actually had my hands on some of those necks. A few of us got to sand on the necks on the ones that were sent to Page for signatures. Think of the idea of taking a 60 profile and only snading the middle portion of the neck, about frets 7 through 14 and not the rest of the neck. Kind of making a "U" shape. They would be a slight bit thicker after the finish was put on, but I still remember they were ridiculously thin. A few were actually sanded too thin and got into the truss rod channel, so they had to destroy those. I don't remember measurements, but do remeber holding them and thinking how thin that middle of the neck was.

The point I was trying to make was that I don't think that the 1960 neck profile was thin, I believe that it was the same as the late 58 through to when production ceased in 1960 of what is generally referred to as the 1959 model. I think it was only when Les Paul production was restarted in the late sixties that the neck profile was thinner, or am I wrong?

1960 necks are generally thinner. Definitely a different profile than the previous year(s).

For Gibson, it was a sort of turning point in that this is when neck shapes went away from the thick, fat baseball bat shapes to the more slimmer, easier to play shapes that are more common on all guitars these days.

1960 necks are generally thinner. Definitely a different profile than the previous year(s).

For Gibson, it was a sort of turning point in that this is when neck shapes went away from the thick, fat baseball bat shapes to the more slimmer, easier to play shapes that are more common on all guitars these days.

Thank you so much Stein! I have learnt something here, I thought it was only later that the thinner necks were introduced :) So Zepaholic is correct to compare Page's profile to the factory 1960 profile.

Do you know when in 1960 the 1959 neck profile was thinned down? Because I thought that 59's were produced from late 1958 to early 1960 then Les Paul production ceased?

This morning I was on Gibson's site, looking at the long-scale models, they offer those with the option of a V slim taper 1960 profile neck!

Thank you so much Stein! I have learnt something here, I thought it was only later that the thinner necks were introduced :) So Zepaholic is correct to compare Page's profile to the factory 1960 profile.

Do you know when in 1960 the 1959 neck profile was thinned down? Because I thought that 59's were produced from late 1958 to early 1960 then Les Paul production ceased?

This morning I was on Gibson's site, looking at the long-scale models, they offer those with the option of a V slim taper 1960 profile neck!

I think you mean "'59" generically to mean 'burst Standards produced from '58-'60. I think a lot these days usually refer them as a '58, a '59, or a '60.

In case you got the idea I have personally put my mits on these, I haven't. So what I know is what I have read, and REMEMBER from what I have read. My best guess, I seem to think I remember reading that a "fat" neck can be found on some early '60 ones.

From what I remember of having my mits on other Gibson's of the '50's and '60's, they do change drastically right around that time. I think you could paw any Gibby from these two decades and make a guess based on neck size, and be correct.

Having said that, as far as newer Gibby's, to me, they SEEM to have the neck shapes pretty close to what they were. To me, I think that's more based on the fact that the shapes Gibby made in the 60's was pretty good, and well worth copying. But also, there DO seem to be differences, even between two necks that are supposed to have a "60's" profile.

Also, I am not sure if there is a difference between what Gibson calls a "60" profile vs a "60'S" profile, or even if they make a distinction.

But I'll say this: What I understand to be a "60's" profile, I don't see how that could even be made into a "V" shape. Most 60's shapes, to me, are more flat on the back with a good degree of shoulder on the sides by comparison.

okay.. '58 necks are huge, and rounded. They're really chunky.

'59 necks are still a little chunky, but shaved down a tad, they're quite rounded.

'60 neck a.k.a "slimtaper' neck are shaved down a ton, and are a little flat but still a little round. It's very slim compared to the '58 and '59. It's my favorite profile, slim and a little round

• 1 month later...

Archived