Gibson Brands Forums

Pup Covers...What do You Folks Think?

Silvercrow

My new to me SG Special has "nek-ked" pickups...no covers. [blink] They sound just fine but I'm wondering if it's possible / desirable / feasible to put some chrome covers on those bad boys? If you could say what's involved and what the pros / cons are I'd appreciate that! Thanks folks...oh...I have good soldering skills but am not an electronics guy by any means. Any special knowledge required? They are 490R / 490T pickups...Thanks.

Brian

someone here said that there is an optional more involved method for attaching covers

Get 2 of either the raw nickel or plated nickel like I showed you. The neck and bridge pickups are the same size. Then all I do is dip the pickup cover in wax. Use gulf canning paraffin wax put it in a mason jar and sit in a pan of water boil it on the stove. Install it onto the pickup while still a tad warm. You will need to unwrap some tape from pickup coils. Once installed solder backs and then heat covers with a blow dryer and clean excess wax while blow drying with a paper towel. Its best to remove pickups and re install when finished.

No maybe I didn't do this right...

But I bought a '76 Ibanez Artist 2630 and somebody had previously swapped the original pickups for uncovered seymour duncans.... I just ordered two nickel seymour duncan humbucker covers and put them on the pickups. I took the pickups off the guitar and I just stuck the covers on, pressed em down nice and tight. They haven't moved since, there are no issues with the sound when plugged in, and it looks a hundred times better. I thought there was going to be more to it than that, but I'm not going to mess with them unless some issue comes up, or they start falling off or something. They seem to be on there pretty snug

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Folks- THANK YOU ALL so much! I haven't been keeping up on all my posts / questions-sorry. Got done doing the polishing, fret end dress, fingerboard clean and lube...now considering the pup covers.

This info is very helpful...I'm nervous but will be deciding what to do soon!

L8_4theshow- thanks and thank you for the suggestion- hadn't thought of diffeent finishes...

Brian

Archived