Gibson Brands Forums

2013 SGJ Finish

EvoRider

I have just gotten a 2013 Gibson SGJ in chocolate and i have noticed where my fingers rest one the body that after a while of playing it they get kinda sticky feeling on the body. But my fingers are not sticky just the body of the guitar. is the finish wearing off or is something on the body? The guitar is in like new condition. I noticed when i first start playing it is does not feel sticky just after about 20 min or so.... If something is on it what do i need to use to remove it? Please note i do not have a Gibson dealer or real good guitar shop around me just a couple of pawn shops...

I agree with you, it was one of the things I noticed when trying out several of the SGs at my local GC. I wound up getting a 2013 SG 60's tribute and the neck on mine does not have the issue. I don't know what causes it just seems very sticky to the touch and hindered quick movement up and down the neck. I would also like to know how to cure the sticky neck issue...any ideas out there...short of 1000 grit sandpaper and steel wool??

Hello!

Clean and polish the instrument with a good quality compound (Gibson, Virtuoso).

What You experience is rare. Some people's sweat reacts with nitro.

Keep the sanding paper away from Your instrument, especially ones with such harsh grits as 1000! For finish repairs much finer papers are used 2500-12000-grits. But unless You are experienced, I don't recommend doing it, You might end up feeling very sorry.

Cheers... Bence

I agree with what Bence said.

I own a LPJ and I think if you would sand it you would see the wood within two seconds!

The satin's have a very, very thin nitro coating.

I don't have this problem on my guitar but iI heard it before and not only on satin's.

I would clean and polish it, I used virtuoso because I wantet to shine it up a little.

Can only recomend it.

I agree with you, it was one of the things I noticed when trying out several of the SGs at my local GC. I wound up getting a 2013 SG 60's tribute and the neck on mine does not have the issue. I don't know what causes it just seems very sticky to the touch and hindered quick movement up and down the neck. I would also like to know how to cure the sticky neck issue...any ideas out there...short of 1000 grit sandpaper and steel wool??

I dont have this problem on the neck. just on the body.. And i dont have this problem on my 06 Gibson SG Standard... I have some vituoso cleaner and polish. i will give that a try.

Archived