Gibson Brands Forums

1936 gibson jumbo

JuanCarlosVejar

Eight grand more than a Trojan with sketchy claims about rarity.

Played only one chord - so no voice up the neck?

Neumann mic, worth as much as the guitar?

You can get three custom Collings in Brazilian / Adi for this knd of cash. Or, just eight Collings from regular selections. Ten to fifteen Gibsons.

Twenty years from now nobody will want pre- war Gibsons like they do today. The thing keeping prices at this insane level is the fact that someone will pay out just to say they own it.

My entire guitar rom has around 50K worth of stuff in it. I can make more than one sound.

Perspective.

My entire guitar rom has around 50K worth of stuff in it. I can make more than one sound.

Perspective.

And for every piece in that room worth 50k, you paid more than at least one other person out there would.

perspective ;)

Neumann mic, worth as much as the guitar?

You can get three custom Collings in Brazilian / Adi for this knd of cash. Or, just eight Collings from regular selections. Ten to fifteen Gibsons.

Twenty years from now nobody will want pre- war Gibsons like they do today. The thing keeping prices at this insane level is the fact that someone will pay out just to say they own it.

Perspective.

Thing is I don't care for Collings ... and there is no point in getting one if you are not into Boutique builders

JC

Kinda lost me on the "sketchy claims about rarity" thing.

Anyway, just a sight to behold.

Hmmm, don't own a Collings although I do think they are fine instruments. Don't even have a music room never mind $50K worth of stuff to put in it. But when to comes to the guitars I do have, I know I am the luckiest SOB on the face of the earth. Just not a well-heeled lucky SOB.

Kinda lost me on the "sketchy claims about rarity" thing.

Anyway, just a sight to behold.

Hmmm, don't own a Collings although I do think they are fine instruments. Don't even have a music room never mind $50K worth of stuff to put in it. But when to comes to the guitars I do have, I know I am the luckiest SOB on the face of the earth. Just not a well-heeled lucky SOB.

Sketchy claims = with no evdence of any kind, claims it could be rhe finest one in the world

Sketchy claims = provides production numbers from the Depression which we all know are inaccurate.

The Gibson Trojan, for example,supposedly only 39 made. I have production codes in my own shop book for 46 of them and find new ones every year or two for sale in various states. Have personally handled two, not one, in almost mint condition.

$38000? Never.

Who is asking $30K for a Trojan. We actually have the only Trojan actually named with a FON -- 960-12. It is all original EXC condition too -- I am guessing it is the most valuable Trojan on earth. We need to know who is asking the big money so we can brag.

Anyway I don't really think you should have to choose -- everyone should have both. 35 Jumbo, 36 Trojan

jumboj35.jpg

My entire guitar room has around 50K worth of stuff in it. I can make more than one sound.

I can remember when we had to make do with small numbers of low cost green instruments like that. Thank goodness those day are long gone.

Reminds me of my favorite saying: I cried because I had no sails until I saw a man who had no yacht :-({|=.

One final thought. After inflation, our guitars (acquired over 40 years) are worth about four times what we paid for them. New guitars basically keep up with inflation, but right now they are not investments.

So clear, wonderful iconic tone and free because of their investment value. Why would anyone buy new guitars -- they aren't free.

If you just like to hear Jumbo demos, here are some.

Perspective.

Who is asking $30K for a Trojan. We actually have the only Trojan actually named with a FON -- 960-12. It is all original EXC condition too -- I am guessing it is the most valuable Trojan on earth. We need to know who is asking the big money so we can brag.

Lawdy, If I could prove my J-50 (based on the FON) which left the factory with a burst to cover up a build screw up was actually the first J-45 . . . The mind wobbles.

Archived