Gibson Brands Forums

Midtown "Husk" project

JamGuy

I foolishly purchased a Chibson black beauty a few years back and after replacing darn near every part on the thing, realized that I was simply putting lipstick on a pig... the fretwork was attrocious and I never could get the thing playing right. I had thought about using it to learn how to replace frets, etc... as a project guitar but was afraid that I would be wasting my time. Well, I finally gave up on the idea...

So I had all these parts (gold no less, so they don't exactly look great on every color guitar) and have been looking for a real Gibson body/neck of some sort to swap all the parts over to. I found a relatively good deal on a black Midtown Custom body/neck and thought I'd give it the black beauty treatment. I'm curious to see how it all turns out... know there's a lot of strong feelings regarding the richlite fretboard but thought, what the heck, I'll give it a try. Ended up giving the Chibson body/neck to one of my 8th grade students to mess around with. He's super into guitars and thought he'd get a kick out of it... he was stoked, even though I told him it was a fake. Would never have considered trying to sell it and he was super excited... if nothing else, he can use the case that it came with as I know he has an epiphone special with no case.

I'll have to post some pics once the Midtown is together... anyhow, I regret ever purchasing the Chibson from China and would discourage anyone else from doing so! Better off saving your $$$ and buying the real deal. As an owner of 6 other real Gibsons, I can say that the fakes pale in comparison... even compared to Epis. Lesson learned...

• 2 weeks later...

Taking delivery on Tuesday... excited to get my mitts on this thing and bring it back to life. I have a question though... I need to get a new bridge and stop tail (the import spec Gotoh I had isn't going to work... I don't think) I know I need the USA dimension hardware but which exact bridge do I need? Any suggestions on a brand? I'm happy to just get a Gibby but want to get the right one or a good alternative replacement... Thanks.

picked up the guitar from the post office today... all in all, seems pretty cool. Can't sat as thought the headstock inlay work is the cleanest I've seen... bordering on being a "second" but the rest of the guitar seems well made and it managed to survive being shipped without a case was was stoked about that. The richlite fretboard looks great... can't imagine why some people don't like it... looks just like ebony. Of course I haven't played it yet so don't know how it feels...

Speaking of which, a close inspection of the guitar has revealed a few surprises... boy, oh boy, wiring that thing up given the funky routing in the control cavity is going to be a bear! In addition... need to order a handful of gold screws as the ones I had aren't the correct ones... also need a short 3-way and a few other tiny bits.

Did get the tuners installed and it looks pretty sweet with gold keystones... pickups and straplocks installed but it'll be a while before this one is up and playing. I'll try and get some pics posted soon. Anyone wire one of these up before? Any suggestions?

Archived