Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Case Information

jimmc13

I currently own a 1990 Les Paul, very nice. It came with an aftermarket case. Can anyone advise what kind case would have been delivered, if any, with this guitar when new?? Also, is it worth pursuing an original case for this guitar? Are they even available? Thanks for the help. Also have attached a picture of my LP. Nice I think.

Jim

post-65930-058197600 1425043875_thumb.jpg

In 1990, TKL was the OEM case supplier to Gibson, as they still are. The standard LP case of the day would have been black tolex, probably with "Gibson USA" silk screened in silver on the lid. Not sure what color cat fur would have been used on the interior at the time.

The "premium" case would have been what is known as the "California Girl" case, brown on the outside, pink on the inside. These were general used for the reissues and historics, but many times cases get mixed up in the storerooms of the retailers.

A TKL #8825 would be the proper OEM replacement case for your guitar. This is the same case Gibson ships their new guitars in, without the logo printed on the case.

http://www.tkl.com/?siteid=search&qsearch=les%20paul&sh=Guitar%20-%20Single%20Cutaway%20Style

I do not believe there is anything to gain, monetarily, or otherwise, by trying to find a 1990 made "Gibson" case for this guitar.

Disclaimer: Yes, I AM affiliated with TKL Case Company, I am an authorized TKL/Cedar Creek case dealer. PM me if you would like more information.

I think it would be something like that:

http://store.gibson.com/les-paul-hardshell-case/

But if the case you got is in good condition I would keep it there.

The original case has the disatvantage that everyone knows that you have a Gibson in there.

But if it has to be an original case maybe ebay is a good solution.

Another option is to buy directly from TKL what I think is the manufacturer of the Gibson cases(other members please correct me if i'm wrong).

http://www.tkl.com/site_item_details.php?pn=TKL%207824&descx=TKL+Premier+Straight+Neck+Single+Cutaway+Guitar+Case

Another option is to buy directly from TKL what I think is the manufacturer of the Gibson cases(other members please correct me if i'm wrong).

http://www.tkl.com/site_item_details.php?pn=TKL%207824&descx=TKL+Premier+Straight+Neck+Single+Cutaway+Guitar+Case

TKL does not sell direct, AND.... the case linked in the post above DOES NOT FIT a Les Paul Standard (or Custom), it's for a special/junior type "straight neck" guitar.

As I stated above, the proper TKL case is from the "25" series (7825, 8825, 8925)

L5Larry: and of course everyone

Thanks for the reply. I checked my case and it does not have a country of origin on the pull tab or anywhere else that I searched. The latches are Excelsior made in Connecticut, USA. See pictures attached here as I could not figure out how top attach pictures to a PM reply.

Jim

post-65930-079514900 1425064186_thumb.jpg

post-65930-070392900 1425064261_thumb.jpg

The proper original case for a 1990 Les Paul Standard is brown with pink lining and a FUZZY shroud. The case with a fuzzy shroud, (blanket like), was only produced for the 1989 and 1990 model years, from 1991 on the shroud is satin. You can find the '89-90 cases for sale on the internet occasionally, anywhere from $150.00 to $250.00 depending on condition.

Sorry for the side track, but since you are on the topic of cases, when did Gibson stop using the rectangular cases for LP's. My 72 came with a rectangular case, purple/pinkish interior. Black exterior with Gibson stenciled on the lid. Anyone?

Archived