Gibson Brands Forums

Loose ouput jack on IB 64 Texan

Pete-

Hey guys,

I'm having trouble with a loose jack. It was loose when i bought it and i asked them to tighten it in the shop before i took it home. A week later and it's totally loose and my big fat arms can only get so far into the guitar. Suggestions? I looked at the jack tight on the net but i can't see it working on this particular guitar jack. I'm sure it would stay tighter for longer if i didn't need a strap but at the moment i do. Does anyone know what size the nut is inside the body? I'm guessing i'll need someone with slim arms to tighten it with a spanner.

Hey guys,

I'm having trouble with a loose jack. It was loose when i bought it and i asked them to tighten it in the shop before i took it home. A week later and it's totally loose and my big fat arms can only get so far into the guitar. Suggestions? I looked at the jack tight on the net but i can't see it working on this particular guitar jack. I'm sure it would stay tighter for longer if i didn't need a strap but at the moment i do. Does anyone know what size the nut is inside the body? I'm guessing i'll need someone with slim arms to tighten it with a spanner.

I had the same problem with my Masterbilt. had a tech install a lock washer on the inside. hasn't moved since.

I had the same problem with my Masterbilt. had a tech install a lock washer on the inside. hasn't moved since.

That sounds like it might be a good idea cos i think the Texan only has a nut on the inside and it seems like this might be an ongoing issue. Has your lock washer been on long and was it a persistent problem before you had it installed?

Only an idea for future - but could you put a strap button either just above or below the jack - must be in the heel block - this would save wear and tear on the jack. As I say it,s just an idea!

I could do but i don't really want to drill any holes into my guitar if you know what i mean. I think i'll try and put a lock washer on the inside nut and hope that does the trick. I'm a bit worried about scratching the guitar when i tighten the outside nut esp if i use an adjustable wrench but maybe some masking tape will protect her.

I've just done some more delving around inside my guitar and i can feel 2 washers in there. One feels like a normal washer and the other one feels like a lock washer. The lock washer is closest to the end block followed by the other washer and then the nut. Is this right? Should there only be one washer in there or with 2 washers should the lock washer be placed closest to the nut? Anybody have any answers or know someone who might?

I've just done some more delving around inside my guitar and i can feel 2 washers in there. One feels like a normal washer and the other one feels like a lock washer. The lock washer is closest to the end block followed by the other washer and then the nut. Is this right? Should there only be one washer in there or with 2 washers should the lock washer be placed closest to the nut? Anybody have any answers or know someone who might?

I don't know much about jack plugs but I do know that a lock washer has to sit directly underneath the nut, otherwise it's not doing anything.

Just for any future reference if someone has a similar problem then all you need is an adjustable wrench and a pair of pliers and this is a 5 min job.

Just unscrew the cap on the end ( i think the guy in the shop just tightened this really tight which won't correct the problem) you may need to use the wrench for this depending on how tight the cap is. Once that comes off you can see that the end of the endpin jack is thinner than the main part of it. Either use pliers to hold onto the main body of the jack (i used a sock to protect the threads) or if it isn't really loose then just stick something through the holes in the end of the jack to keep it from turning while you loosen the outside nut. Once this is done you can stick a screwdriver in the end of the jack and push it into the body and take it out of the sound hole. Adjust the inner nut and put the washers on and see if the jack fits. I used the screwdriver to help guide it back and make sure the washers didn't fall off. After a couple of adjustments I found the correct placement. The inner nut should be adjusted so that the thicker part of the thread should be just inside the guitar body and should not protrude outside of the endpin hole, once this is the correct distance just tighten the outer nut putting something through the holes to prevent it turning. Screw on the cap and hey presto, Bob's your uncle, no more loose jack. I took off my strings because i didn't know what i was doing when i started but unless you have really thin arms you won't be able to reach the bottom of the guitar and tighten the inner nut. Using this method you don't need to touch your strings but you may need something longer than a screwdriver (stiff metal wire, dowel rod) in order to get all the way to the sound hole and back.

Hope this helps anyone who encounters this problem for the first time and is as clueless as i was.

That sounds like it might be a good idea cos i think the Texan only has a nut on the inside and it seems like this might be an ongoing issue. Has your lock washer been on long and was it a persistent problem before you had it installed?

yes, it loosened every few weeks before the lock washer. I haven't had an issue since it was installed.

Archived