Gibson Brands Forums

gibson es339 2013 bridge/ open E noise

dodomoon78

i wish to change the bridge on my gibson ES339 2013, because I have some strange buzz on open E string.

I tried to swap the abr bridge from my les paul traditional 2009 just to try the sound of graphtech saddles that i installed ont hat LP, but the bridges are not the same, the studs on the es339 are larger.

can anybody explain me the difference between those bridges?

For what concerns the strange noise on high E string, it only happens when I play open E, not when i play fretted notes. I already tryed to change the nut , my luthier puts a graphtech brand new nut, but the strange buzz is still here...

can you help me?

i wish to change the bridge on my gibson ES339 2013, because I have some strange buzz on open E string.

I tried to swap the abr bridge from my les paul traditional 2009 just to try the sound of graphtech saddles that i installed ont hat LP, but the bridges are not the same, the studs on the es339 are larger.

can anybody explain me the difference between those bridges?

For what concerns the strange noise on high E string, it only happens when I play open E, not when i play fretted notes. I already tryed to change the nut , my luthier puts a graphtech brand new nut, but the strange buzz is still here...

can you help me?

Does your Luthier have an explanation for the strange sound? Can you discribe it?

I'm not trying to be smart, but are you sure your LP Traditional has an ABR-1 bridge and not a Nashville bridge?

You can also try Tonepros bridges and stop bars if you want really want to change from factory parts.

As far as the noise/buzz on your high E string when open is concerned, I assume the obvious things have been checked: proper measurement for neck relief, action adjustment, etc?

I had this problem with a used guitar that I bought, and the problem was the nut slot was cut too deep, but you've already replaced the nut.

I had a similar buzz issue on a 339 with the open G. when fretted the buzz was gone. I finally figured it out to be a broken adjustment screw in the bridge. You could turn the screw and it even moved the saddle. It broke in a strange angle and not straight across so it still worked, I took the bridge out and that saddle was kind of loose so I took that saddle out and found the broken screw. Never would have seen it with removing the saddle.

As mentioned before, I also think your traditional has a Nashville bridge and your 339 has an ABR. Hard to see but the mounting stud sizes are different diameter. You can spot the big difference between them by looking at the adjustment screws. The ABR adjustment screw is easily removable but the Nashville is threaded through the bridge. Gibson calls the Nashville an "un-notched saddle". . The mounts are different too. the ABR has a single screw that goes into the guitar body with an adjustment wheel that the bridge set on. The Nashville has a single piece stud that goes into a threaded bushing.

Below is an ABR (Some are made without the retainer wire that goes over the screws)

PBBR-010__79762.1408678963.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

Below is a Nashville

PBBR-030__92359.1408678870.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

Have you considered a truss rod adjustment, or string gauge change? A smaller gauge string vibrates less and has less stress, also. Also, check for a loose screw/saddle nut or bridge nut. Sometimes they come loose, and vibrate with the frequency of the open string stimulating them.

• 4 weeks later...

Another thing to check is the nuts that secure the tuners on the string side. I found more than one of them loose when I bought my ES-359 a few years ago. If yours are also loose, the best way to tighten them without risking scratching the headstock is probably to tighten by hand with a socket the next time you change strings. I wouldn't use a ratchet - too easy to overtorque and risk cracking the headstock or stripping the threads.

nprenger

Archived