Gibson Brands Forums

2012 Les Paul 70's tribute studio

Dubl Diz

I had my guitar setup by very well know lutiers in chicago. Thought we were dealing with fret buzz. It is not. when playing unplugged the guitar has a crazy buzz to it. but this buzz does not go through the amp when plugged in like fret buzz does? has anyone had this issue?

Hello DD, and welcome here.

In the past I had to deal with toggle switches buzzing in their middle position and buzzing pickup mount springs. The solutions were tightening the toggle switch nut and swapping pickup springs among each other.

Hope this helps.

If it's not coming through the amp at all, I too would suspect toggle-switch and pickup springs. I've had buzzes on the headstock before as well. Tuners can sometimes rattle. The string behind the nut can also vibrate in the back of the nut slot - but that only usually happens on unfretted notes, is likely to show through the amp, AND the luthier is likely to have spotted it (it means a poorly cut nut).

There's all sorts of stuff that can rattle on a guitar, and it's a pain tracking it down - you often think the sound is coming from the opposite end of the guitar to what actually turns out to be causing it!

Hope you track it down quickly - Good luck [thumbup]

Buzzes can be very difficult to find and they never are where they sound like they're coming from. I've acquired a few really nice guitars because of that lol. The last one is a Firebird VII which was probably the hardest to find, and obviously the previous owner had given up. It turns out the buzz was coming from the braided pickup wires coming out of the pickup housings, they weren't soldered. It sounded exactly like fret buzz and was extremely annoying. Why the minis weren't soldered, I have no idea. Maybe it was an issue with the gold plating. The Bird is an 06. Patience is your only friend when tracking these down and can take a while.

I had my guitar setup by very well know lutiers in chicago. Thought we were dealing with fret buzz. It is not. when playing unplugged the guitar has a crazy buzz to it. but this buzz does not go through the amp when plugged in like fret buzz does? has anyone had this issue?

Who'd you bring your guitar to?

Archived