Gibson Brands Forums

And yet another casualty of winter

kidblast

Not that this winter hasn't been miserable enough, the hands are taking a beating I've been battling split fingertips almost all winter.

Sometimes, the areas that are split will just throb with pain. I've been using liquid bandages to seal and cover so I can play.

my left hand ring finger is a mess, two splits, my right hand thumb is split right where the thumb hits the string when finger picking.

my left pinky was in bad shape but it's finally healed after almost 2 months with a huge split..

I try to put neosporin on them and cover them with bandaids at night, they just split again during the day.

ARG!

Not that this winter hasn't been miserable enough, the hands are taking a beating I've been battling split fingertips almost all winter.

Sometimes, the areas that are split will just throb with pain. I've been using liquid bandages to seal and cover so I can play.

my left hand ring finger is a mess, two splits, my right hand thumb is split right where the thumb hits the string when finger picking.

my left pinky was in bad shape but it's finally healed after almost 2 months with a huge split..

I try to put neosporin on them and cover them with bandaids at night, they just split again during the day.

ARG!

Kidblast,

I feel your pain. This year I've been using Vaseline for men. It works very well. My finger tips have split but not as often and as deep as in the past. In other words, I can keep playing. My left hand tends to be worse than the right and since I play guitar right handed it can be a pain.

A little tip for Ya. When it gets too painful to play guitar in your normal fashion due to the finger cuts. That is s GREAT time to practice your slide guitar playng. In fact, during the winter months my resophonic gets more playing time than my Les Paul or my Strats.

Take Care Man,

MississippiBlue

That is s GREAT time to practice your slide guitar playng

ha! Exactly!!!!!! that is precisely what I've been doing. I haven't played slide in a while, (at one time, I was pretty a efficient slide player. But like anything else you snooze you loose.. so it was good to pick that up again) the other alternative is play more piano.. (something I have been doing for about 12 years now) Guitar is way more fun tho..

I use superglue.a little extreme but puts a hard shell on it

I think Liquid Bandage is actually medical super glue. it just has other things in it to help prevent infections. Nail glue (the kind used for finger nails in salons) works too. It definitely helps make it a bit more manageable.

Looks like a cut with a razerblade....

yep! that's it alright,, oucheth!

just another reason to hate on winter..

yea Bill..

it's a royal PITA.. Especially when you'd like nothing better to do then spend a some down time on a saturday playing guitar for a few hours. doesn't stop me, but it's not as much fun as it could be... the liquid bandage only helps so much

I'll be looking for a can of that Bag Balm stuff.......

This is all very enlightening to me since I live in the giant humidifier known as Florida! I had no idea that winter could split one's finger tips. Sounds brutal. Though I guess summer is probably really nice up there while here it's, well, brutal.

Yeah, those things suck. I grew up in upstate NY and went through this stuff a lot. Now, in SoCal, well, not so much. In any event, this was also discussed on another forum I frequent. Aquaphor was another suggestion, as was the Super Glue and humidifier. I'll keep the Bag Balm stuff in mind as well!

It's the coincidence of winter and skin cleaners.

I had to deal with that more than forty years. In early 2009, I had to give up any use of skin cleaners for several months for another reason - my then-wife had ripped up a suture two days after a surgery on my right hand.

Accidentally I found out my skin was far better than ever. So I stayed off the use of any detergents on my skin since then. Water only for washing my hands and showering, salt and vinegar for bathing.

If it was about my skin only, I would be able to play twenty-four hours a day. [biggrin]

ARG!

I get those from driving the semi-trk at work,,what I do is: I use that product called "Carmex" its a lip balm product,,but if you put that on your cuts,,cover them w/band-aids,,let set over night,,or as long as you can,,it softens up the skin around the area,,and clears up in about 2 days,at least it has for me.

I found some stuff at CVS that seems to be a bit similar to the bag balm stuff, .. trying that for now.

hey guys, thanks for chiming in.. and for yous guys in places that don't get the dry out like we do, it is definitely a PITA.

But the pretty good news is, if you take care of it,, you can work around it, the real drag is they will heal up for a day or so, and then, split again.

oh the humanity...

Archived