Gibson Brands Forums

What's a fair price for a Gibson Legend ?

TrueVintage

I've been watching the market for a 1942 J-45 Legend Reissue. I saw one

sell on eBay this week for an undisclosed "best offer", and the asking

price was $3,600. I see another one on eBay with an asking price of

$4,500 that's not selling. It seems that I remember seeing these sell

for under $3,000 a few years ago, but I'm not positive. Can I get some

opinions about a fair price for a Legend in good condition, but not minty?

Up into the mid-three's? Private seller on the lower range, a shop would be on the higher end, and they might willing to hold on to a guitar longer to get top-dollar. Also- hard to follow sold prices when Best Offer listings only report "best offer accepted", but at least you can see how/if things are moving in this price range. Not many of these changing hands, and a "play before pay" might be a challenge, let alone comparing two at the same sitting. Only one way to do that ; ).

Ps- As DuluthDan would want you to do: Be sure to see if the guitar has the nice custom case that should go with it, and offer accordingly.

Yeah... the case is not important to me, but...

I think I understand that we are talking about 2 distinct Legend offerings. To my knowledge the original Legends were late 2006 and 2007. Now we have the more recent 1942 Legend Reissue. I am still a neophyte at the Gibson iterations but I'm not certain I get the thought behind doing a reissue of a reissue, but oh well. I have never seen an original reissue for sale - they just aren't that plentiful. And , I have never seen nor played the reissue reissue. I love mine, from December 2006. 4 Bills +/- depending on which case it comes with. [biggrin]

• 2 weeks later...

Are the first Legend reissues from 2006-2007 any different from the most recent versions?

Which leads to the question: If given a choice, and the prices were identical, would y'all choose a first run Legend with light playing wear, or the reissued-reissue Legend in minty condition?

Archived