Gibson Brands Forums

Help Identifying This Les Paul Tribute 50's/60's

Hello I recently traded a so-so USA Strat for a 2011 Gibson Tribute 50's or 60's Les Paul.

I researched the serial #(126510511) and the info I got was Made in Nashville USA 9/22/11 production run 211.

This guitar is the worn ebony finish with creme P90's and has gold hardware with gold Grover kluson type tuning keys.

Oddly enough the Grovers don't have any mounting screws in them.

It has Gibson USA pots and Orange caps. Previous owner bought it from Gruhn's in June 2014 in it's current incarnation.

It has the top hat knobs with 3 volume and only 1 tone. This seems to be just a wrong knob issue as it functions as v/v/t/t.

It has the baked maple fretboard. What I am interested in knowing is this a 50's or 60's Tribute? How can I tell?

Is this a limited run? I didn't know they ever sold this model with gold hardware.

This is one of the best playing Les Pauls I have ever touched. I play mostly rock and this thing screams!!

I had $400 in the Strat, did I get a deal?

x12_zpsuyeoo3mn.jpgx14_zpsvjzxnksx.jpgx13_zpsx0ndmnrh.jpgx11_zpskc4cffkn.jpgx10_zpsdbw3rasr.jpgx9_zps0z3mvybt.jpgx8_zpszbboanif.jpgx7_zpskgmvxmjs.jpgx6_zpsihjg3dux.jpg

Hello...

Well those 50s and 60s tributes were very similar looking.. I think though its has a few mods.. I don't think they came with Orange Drops, and the previous owner probably changed those vol/tone knobs and maybe that's what he had lying around so just stuck one that says volume on the tone pot. Not really a big deal.. (I think they came with amber top hats?)

One of the main and most obvious differences are the necks... 50s being a larger rounded style and 60s being a slim taper style...

Apart from that maybe you should send those pics to Gibson Customer Service.. They should be able to tell you and are usually quite good and getting back on such matters.

And as for is it a good deal.. well yes financially its about right I guess, but if you love the way it sounds and the way it plays, that's priceless :) [thumbup]

(I got a 60s tribute goldtop myself and I love it just as much as my Standard or Classic).

Archived