Gibson Brands Forums

More Returns!

Rondoh

Just returned my second attempt to own my first "Gibson"guitar.My second Gibson Les paul studio 2015,arrived on this past Thursday.Took a quick look at it,brought it home,seemed ok.Same static buzz,but that's cuz of some eccesive dry air here,in South CT.After a few minutes of playin,the pick up toggle switch became loose,and noticed that the lower coil split knob was crooked.Some further inspection,revealed some paint defects,and an obviously used neck pick up.Based on a few"unboxing"videos of these guitars from youtube,theres always 2 tags attached to the neck,this 1 did not have them,which started heading me towards I got hustled paying for new gear,and getting used.I suspected that the first 1 was also used,with it not being "boxed".Now?Guitar Center of New London CT,says none left,have to back order,we will contact you when they come in,lol."ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!!Now?I see that GC of New London,is showing that they have 2 "wine red"2015 Gibson les paul studios,"Available Now"Meaning,those are the 2 I returned for defects,lol,on the web site.Shame on Gibson for allowing this kinda of "Hustle"to go on.Shame on GC for thinking we all are idiots."A customer returns a product?Then just put it back in the box and sell it as new?"WOW!Now trying my third attempt at my 3rd GC in Orange CT.They found 1 in AZ,"BOXED"It will ship Mon,be here late next week.Im glad I got the N.E.sales rep's contact info,Id say Im patient to this point,but after this 3rd attempt,if this don't go well,may have to make a call,lol,Ron

what makes you think gibson is the one hustling you? guitar center could very well be selling floor/demo, b-stock, and blem guitars as new ones and at full price. iv'e seen this happen at GC's and other music stores in my experience. it is a completely f%$#ed up thing to do, but i absolutely believe it happens. selling off lemons they get at reduced prices for a full retail price, hoping the buyer is so dumb they won't notice or better yet, the buyer will bring it in for some ridiculously over-priced "tech" work. at the very least, they keep you coming back in. that's more potential money every time you walk through the door. maybe they'll get you to sign up for a credit line while they are at it....

what makes you think gibson is the one hustling you? guitar center could very well be selling floor/demo, b-stock, and blem guitars as new ones and at full price. iv'e seen this happen at GC's and other music stores in my experience. it is a completely f%$#ed up thing to do, but i absolutely believe it happens. selling off lemons they get at reduced prices for a full retail price, hoping the buyer is so dumb they won't notice or better yet, the buyer will bring it in for some ridiculously over-priced "tech" work. at the very least, they keep you coming back in. that's more potential money every time you walk through the door. maybe they'll get you to sign up for a credit line while they are at it....lol,12 months no interest is hard to resist.Last time I checked was "Gibson"on the label?If they are aware of this going on?Then certainly hold them somewhat responsible.If a Harley Davidson dealer gets enough poor feedback from buyers,the manufacturer will limit the amount of motorcycles it provides for that dealership,based on personal experience.So I ask you,the last guitar you bought?How many times did ya have to return it?Hope your at least feeling a bit of my pain,lol.Thanks for the feedback,btw,Ron

I'm sorry but I don't feel your pain. It's misdirected anger. Gibson isn't screwing you it's the people you are buying it from. The lesson should be "don't buy anything from guitar center."

If you like payment plans, try American musical or zzounds. At least they don't involve interest whatsoever just a monthly evenly divided payment sometimes up to 18 months. Sweetwater is an even better suggestion. And your quote there is all messed up. You replied inside my quote...

Just returned my second attempt to own my first "Gibson"guitar.My second Gibson Les paul studio 2015,arrived on this past Thursday.Took a quick look at it,brought it home,seemed ok.Same static buzz,but that's cuz of some eccesive dry air here,in South CT.After a few minutes of playin,the pick up toggle switch became loose,and noticed that the lower coil split knob was crooked.Some further inspection,revealed some paint defects,and an obviously used neck pick up.Based on a few"unboxing"videos of these guitars from youtube,theres always 2 tags attached to the neck,this 1 did not have them,which started heading me towards I got hustled paying for new gear,and getting used.I suspected that the first 1 was also used,with it not being "boxed".Now?Guitar Center of New London CT,says none left,have to back order,we will contact you when they come in,lol."ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!!Now?I see that GC of New London,is showing that they have 2 "wine red"2015 Gibson les paul studios,"Available Now"Meaning,those are the 2 I returned for defects,lol,on the web site.Shame on Gibson for allowing this kinda of "Hustle"to go on.Shame on GC for thinking we all are idiots."A customer returns a product?Then just put it back in the box and sell it as new?"WOW!Now trying my third attempt at my 3rd GC in Orange CT.They found 1 in AZ,"BOXED"It will ship Mon,be here late next week.Im glad I got the N.E.sales rep's contact info,Id say Im patient to this point,but after this 3rd attempt,if this don't go well,may have to make a call,lol,Ron

I went into the Boston Guitar Center to get a 2015 studio. I didn't want to take home the one hanging on the wall (who knows what has happened to it) so I asked them to order me one in an unopened box. Interestingly, they found one on AZ as well. I will get it on Wed.

I will be paying special attention to the concerns you raised. Thanks!

Not everyone has the same criteria or "demands" that a good guitar should be. Even a new one.

Personally, if a guitar met all of MY criteria, I would not be sending it back because of a nut coming loose, a crooked knob or a finish blemish I had to strain to see. These are as easily fixed as changing strings. And I would HAPPILY buy this guitar new if it was a good guitar as far as guitars go, and I liked it.

Why wouldn't you expect the seller/owner to put it back for sale?

I have to admit, I don't understand the post. If you played the guitar and checked it out, liked it, why wouldn't you just have it "fixed"? I read it over again, and I don't read what actual issues you have with the guitar that aren't easily addressed that should make a guy not want it anymore.

The other thing I failed to read, is what to YOU makes a guitar good or bad, or what was wrong with this one? How does it play? Sound?

Not everyone has the same criteria or "demands" that a good guitar should be. Even a new one.

Personally, if a guitar met all of MY criteria, I would not be sending it back because of a nut coming loose, a crooked knob or a finish blemish I had to strain to see. These are as easily fixed as changing strings. And I would HAPPILY buy this guitar new if it was a good guitar as far as guitars go, and I liked it.

Why wouldn't you expect the seller/owner to put it back for sale?

I have to admit, I don't understand the post. If you played the guitar and checked it out, liked it, why wouldn't you just have it "fixed"? I read it over again, and I don't read what actual issues you have with the guitar that aren't easily addressed that should make a guy not want it anymore.

The other thing I failed to read, is what to YOU makes a guitar good or bad, or what was wrong with this one? How does it play? Sound?

They sell guitars to anyone these days.

rct

I have never understood the the simultaneous expectations of "a quality hand made guitar" and "lacking any and all imperfections". Some folks seem expect a lot when they pay full price.

But I think that's just me.

lacking any and all imperfections is a far shot from the stuff ive seen. some defects are just so blatantly lazy. go look at PRS guitars. those are handmade and nearly everyone is just about as perfect as a guitar can get. they pride themselves on that and they should. i dont think gibson should be proud of a good amount of guitars they sell.

lacking any and all imperfections is a far shot from the stuff ive seen. some defects are just so blatantly lazy. go look at PRS guitars. those are handmade and nearly everyone is just about as perfect as a guitar can get. they pride themselves on that and they should. i dont think gibson should be proud of a good amount of guitars they sell.

It's important to leave it at looking at PRS guitars. Listening is not recommendable and also may happen rarely.

Try to place a PRS guitar within a multitrack recording mix. This will lead to the insight that they are made for looks and perhaps for players being alone with themselves. Most electric guitars at a thirtieth or a fiftieth the price will translate easier without hassle.

In a band context, PRS SE guitars cut through better than US made PRS.

I have zero interest in anything PRS is doing at all so I don't spend much time looking at them. What I have done is bought and sold 20 or so Gibsons in the last few decades and I just don't see all these defects everyone keeps claiming are there. In fact the only issue I have had in the last 10 or so Gibsons I have owned is a pickup switch that failed on a Les Paul.

Most of what I end up seeing is just an insane level of nitpicking. We had a guy here a short while ago complaining that his new black Les Paul arrived with fingerprints on it. There's another guy complaining that his hand scraped binding it not perfectly uniform in thickness if you look really close at it. Not long ago I saw a guy claiming that Gibson guitars were crap because the headstock on his had little ears glued on the side to make it big enough. These are not legitimate complaints but it's the sort of thing that make up the bulk of the complaints that I see.

Now the new brass nut issue? That seems to be a real problem and Gibson should fix it free of charge and they should be embarrassed for putting it out without properly testing it. But random dufus guitar players complaining about imperfection..? Not something I'd worry about.

So my 2015 studio arrived new in the box at GC. As far as I can tell, it is perfect (except for some very minor intonation adjustments). It looks and sounds like a dream. The robo-tuner works fine (although you have to run fairly frequently, I assume the string are just getting broken in).

I'm pretty happy, and I have no complaints about this guitar or GC.

So my 2015 studio arrived new in the box at GC. As far as I can tell, it is perfect (except for some very minor intonation adjustments). It looks and sounds like a dream. The robo-tuner works fine (although you have to run fairly frequently, I assume the string are just getting broken in).

Nice to hear this from you. Post pics, please... [love]

If you live where the weather is cold I would expect to tune more often. Drafts can change conditions and cause expansion or contraction and unsettled conditions.

Archived