Gibson Brands Forums

family guitar damaged

Motherofpearl

Hey all.

I'm wondering what would you do? My grandma has this 12 string ovation. She has alzheimers and can no longer play. For years. I went to her place last night and asked where the guitar was because it was always in the corner. Her caregiver tells me the thing that holds the strings snapped "the bridge" so I get it out of the case and man what a nightmare. So the question I have is would you pay to fix it and keep it for sentimental reasons even though the guitar probably ain't worth the repair? I'm leaning on fixing it and hanging onto it. Thanks here's some pics

20150227_214010_zps2rabqcrx.jpg

20150227_213953_zps6eiqujbm.jpg

20150227_214003_zpszhcqt13o.jpg

I have a cousin who asked me about repairing a 6-string Ov, and out of curiosity I looked around. Found a similar model on Ebay that sold for $1100, so you should certainly check out the value range. This 6-string also sounded terrific, but couldn't be played without a strap because of the rounded back.

I would fix it, and play it. It may be that it needs to be tuned down a half step, or have lighter strings on it. Tuning a 12 to standard pitch with a normal string gauge puts a huge amount of tension on the bridge and top.

As this is a family piece I would say it does not fall under the usual having a guitar fixed because you love the sound and feel category.

Regluing or replacing the bridge is not all that expensive. Believe me, I have had it done more times than I can recall. What I would also have looked into is the bridge plate. With 12 strings survival trumps sound and sometimes it is desirable to replace the existing bridge plate with something more substantial. I am having it done with my 1940s Regal 12.

Agree with J45nick that it is best to keep it tuned down 1 to 1 1/2 steps. If you really cannot live with light gauge strings John Pearce (and I am sure others) swiped an idea from Ry Cooder and offer a heavy gauge set for C# tuning

Monetary market value of the guitar would most likely NOT support the repair work, but....

Sentimental value has no dollar amount.

It looks to be an "Elite" model. This was Ovations 2nd from the top-of-the-line, just below the Adamas series.

I'll have it fixed. I have no idea the value of the guitar. I do know that at the time it was purchased it was the best ovation available at the time and here. I've played this guitar a million times and it's not a bad guitar. I'm not to hot on the plastic back but hey

I thought that You had glued it up. I'm sure that if You cannot glue it up, it certainly wouldn't be worth having someone take the top off. You could always cut a hole in the back and glue a saddle block in behind there, followed by a custom bolt up.

If it was my Grandma's guitar I would try to do a " custom " repair myself. I would never spend big money to get an Ovation repaired. A Southern Jumbo or a D-18 absolutely. An Ovation, no way. It would be like getting her sewing machine repared just because it belonged to her. I'm sure that She's an awesome Grandmother, but someone should have advised her on guitar purchases and care and feeding thereof.

I agree, I don't think a repair would be all that expensive. Of course, money is a relative concept - you don't have to get it repaired right away. Hold it until you get your tax return. (ObamaJoke!)

Seriously - when you're ten years down the road, you may regret not keeping it until you can get it fixed. It really isn't hard re-attaching a bridge. Doesn't look like the face has been ripped up too bad.

Take your time to decide. G'Luck!

No question. It is/was a great guitar. Especially since it's your Grandmother's. Spend a little money and have it fixed properly. It will be as good as new in no time. Then, properly humidify it (depending on where you are) and play it then pass it on to your kids when it's time.

I can't comment on what would be involved with fixing it, but will just pass along my own story. I kept my first acoustic, a 1974 J-50 but didn't take good care of it and it was exposed to lots of bad environmental conditions in its cheap chip-board case in the basement, etc. Gradually it became unplayable and I just didn't think it would be worth fixing. But finally I took it to a luthier did a really nice job of fixing everything for about $400. I was surprised how good it sounded after that.

Financially, it didn't make sense to spend that much because I could buy another one in better condition in the neighborhood of $1000 probably. But that wouldn't be MY 40 year old guitar that I'd like to pass along to my daughters family someday. :)

Without a standard sound-hole, bridge plate repair or strengthening may entail more expense than you think. Ovation employs a very thin soundboard across their range.

The overall differences are type of wood and bracing patterns and bling.

I think I would stick with regluing the bridge and using lighter strings, as was mentioned before, unless it is a premium model. What is the model number?

An inexpensive repair that could be done at home would be to re-glue the bridge but add a tailpiece to fix the strings to. This takes the pressure off the bridge but of course changes the look and will change the tone somewhat. But it's cheap, do-able and solves the problem. I bought a used 12 string tailpiece at a local music store for $10. Mt solutions are always fix it yourself if you can, especially if the repair costs more than the guitar is worth. finding what it is worth is easy. find one like it on eBay. FYI this also works for guitars with a warped top that has increased the action beyond playability. B)

if that is an Adamas, those were not inexpensive guitars, I think they were some where around $1,200 ~1,400 when I got my ovation 12 string (SSB cut-a-way) in 1999.,,

at least north of $1k easily.

The plastic back was a bit of a curse, very hard to get that thing to stay in place if you were sitting. Not the greatest acoustic tone, but plugged in to the right sound source,, and they are killer.

if it was me, yep.. I'd fix it,, it can't be THAT expensive.

if that is an Adamas, those were not inexpensive guitars, I think they were some where around $1,200 ~1,400 when I got my ovation 12 string (SSB cut-a-way) in 1999.,,

at least north of $1k easily.

The plastic back was a bit of a curse, very hard to get that thing to stay in place if you were sitting. Not the greatest acoustic tone, but plugged in to the right sound source,, and they are killer.

if it was me, yep.. I'd fix it,, it can't be THAT expensive.

A $15 strap solves the 'rollover' problem.

not really.. strapped or not, sitting down it just slid forward. Believe me I tried everything with the one I had, It was guitar that I waited and saved for, and I wanted to LOVE it for ever. but, I couldn't not abide with the round back, along with the primary tone being a bit cold.. I offed it.. but, I do wish I still had it all the same.

Go to the hardware store and get a roll of non-skid whatever-they-call-it, like you can get for stepladders and such.

Cut a tiny oval patch and affix it to the bottom side next to the crease. It's not going to hurt the Lyracord, which is resin and fiberglass, not plastic. Problem solved.

Ovation models can be hard to pin down without a number.

The current Elite line can range in price from $649 to $1569, and that's MSRP which we know can be a bit high depending on the merchant.

I have one that gets played every day. It is a model 1111-1 and cost me $290 in 1976 money. Can you guess from the number it is the base model?

From there on up the numbers are tricky and not easy to decipher when it comes to the value of the instrument.

It doesn't matter which model you have when it comes to the thickness of the tops. They are thin. That's why you see many with splits below the bridge.

That's also why they sound so good with the right strings and a professional set-up, whether they are split or not.

Mine is a Standard Balladeer. If you care to, take a look on this page and see how many Balladeers are listed and note where they appear throughout the range. http://www.ovationguitars.com/guitars/archive/

I always play with a strap and usually sitting down. For one thing I tend play large guitars, Martin Jumbo or L-7 and I like to change the guitars position for different tones, strum vs. single note, vs. finger pick etc. It also gives me a sense of security knowing the guitar won't accidentally slide off. I often let those guitars slide off my leg on purpose just to get a different strum angle. I can then also stand up during play if I choose. Now it feels weird to play without a strap.

I always liked Ovations because they seemed to have easy, low action but I've never owned one. This would be great on a 12. I had the chance to buy Paul McCartney's backup lefty Ovation at McCabes in Santa Monica after he did an L.A. concert. It wasn't signed or anything but it would have been cool. Always regretted not doing that. B)

I've been playing with a strap for so long, I can no longer find a comfortable unstrapped sitting position. I play a lot while walking around and have this weird thing where all my (5) guitars have their own strap hanging off them so I don't have to R&R them when I feel like playing. They're all on my homemade barnboard hangers; never cased. When I get a new guitar I have a ceremonial feeling when I 'award' the strap to the newcomer. I might be nuts.

Just bought a strap that I'm giving to a friend who has an old Ovation. She'd like to play more but gets frustrated by the thing sliding off her lap. It's such a simple solution.

Archived