Gibson Brands Forums

Polishing, Buffing...so it begins...PICS ADDED

Silvercrow

Hey All! Been playing the heck out of my new SG. Been staring at it a lot too! The Blue Mist paint job is sort of a metallic finish, and I think the previous owner buffed out the entire neck as it has a full gloss finish and looks GREAT! (Either buffed out or the owner played the neck perfectly evenly between the headstock and heel. The body has the requisite shiny spots where the arm rests over the lower bough, and a place on the back where clothing (?..I hope it was clothing.. [crying] ) polished two small spots on the back.

The finish is good on the guitar- not a "faded" and it is even, no pores showing. The neck looks phenominal.

After studying and looking at her, I did some research and then some ordering from my new friend Stew Mac. I very successfully dressed the fret ends of my Les Paul Studio and used equipment from them). I ordered medium and fine buffing liquid along with a bottle of swirl remover. I read about using Mequires auto compounds, etc. and although the results looked good, on an acoustic forum a guy rightly pointed out, that the stuff you get specifically for guitars is made for guitars, contains no silicone, etc. At times I'm convinced that "Murphy" is related to me, so anything I can do to lessen the chance of a mess-up is worth doing.

So in about 3-4 days I should have the stuff and will begin to carefully and lovingly polish my new SG into a more even, glossier state.

There is a TON of knowledge on this board / forum so any advice or words of wisdom, wise cracks, totally unrelated comments are welcomed. Seriously- I've never done this before and I'm sure some of you have...feel free to chime in...PLEASE!

Brian

If your SG has a faded, satin, or antique type of finnish, then the back of the neck could be glossy from being played. I had a 2014 Melody Maker and the back of the neck, and where a pickguard would go, turned into a high gloss after a cpl months of playing. You should be able to buff the rest of it to match. Hey, I smell another oportunity for you to post sum more pics of that beauty..... [thumbup]

Totally understand that guitar stuff is for guitars, but when I asked my local Gibson Authorized Repair luthier about the finish on my '75 L6-S, the reply was quite unexpected.

He pointed out a couple of tiny nicks and said, "This looks like your biggest problem." Now I do not want to mess with any amount of refinishing as this guitar is entirely unmolested and completely original.

I told him, "Those don't worry me, I just want to get rid of the swirl marks." He reached up on the shelf behind him and showed me a bottle of Meguiars 20X and recommended using a very light touch.

After reading about your exploits with the fret dressing, I'm confident you will take the utmost care with whichever route you choose. [smile]

I second the more pics request. I find that to be my favorite color on an SG!

If your SG has a faded, satin, or antique type of finnish, then the back of the neck could be glossy from being played. I had a 2014 Melody Maker and the back of the neck, and where a pickguard would go, turned into a high gloss after a cpl months of playing. You should be able to buff the rest of it to match. Hey, I smell another oportunity for you to post sum more pics of that beauty..... [thumbup]

Hey Jaygl- I believe that is what happened..at least at first. I just wondered because the neck is So polished and So uniform that the previous owner might have completed the job? Dunno. Fact is I have VERY little experience with satin and faded finishes. The rhythm guitarist in my originals band had a Martin acoustic that had a similar finish and where his arm went it was buffed to a sheen too.

"He pointed out a couple of tiny nicks and said, "This looks like your biggest problem." Now I do not want to mess with any amount of refinishing as this guitar is entirely unmolested and completely original.

I told him, "Those don't worry me, I just want to get rid of the swirl marks." He reached up on the shelf behind him and showed me a bottle of Meguiars 20X and recommended using a very light touch." [L8_4thesh0w]

I did some more reading last night and I see what you are saying is correct. Not that I would have doubted you; but I know in my life that if I'm not extra careful I'd probably pick something that was wrong. I'm admittedly a little paranoid as I don't have a natural ability with things like this; my lack of confidence and Murphy bloodline cause me to always go the safe route. Even if it costs a little more [unsure]

I WILL post some more pics! I'm always pleased when a project goes well and like I'd mentioned before in a previous post- getting a picture hung straight is a caue for celebration!

Thank you both for the kind words! I'll let you know how its going + the finished result!

Brian

I'm hoping these come out OK. The polishing compounds came from StewMac today; and I started on the back of my SG. Tried at first just using the "Fine" grade liquid polish- but not doing too well. Then went on: 1st Medium-light polishing; 2nd Fine-polishing until the applicator began to drag, finally; 3rd- Swirl Remover. These pics don't do it justice. But in "the man cave" aka spare bedroom, I have a floor lamp. These pics same distance away- back being polished, front untouched as of yet. The detail in the reflection will give you an idea of the results.

SG20POLISH203-4-1520001.jpg

SG20POLISH203-4-1520004.jpg

On the next nice day I will take better pictures.

As I was polishing and building up some "Popeye" muscles, I'm thinking "Man, this is a lot of work for a little result..." THEN I buffed it out with a clean rag and walked to the window-ALL RIGHT NOW! It was still daylight (VERY overcast today- another snow storm on the way [thumbdn] ). I am VERY pleased! What do y'all think?

Brian

WELLL...just about done! Between shoveling snow over the course of the entire day (snow blower, 14 years old, broken...) and rubbing the crap out of this guitar I'm beat! Coming out very nicely, more pics to follow- probably tomorrow...

1- Apparently the tuners were mounted BEFORE THE PAINT / FINISH was DRY!!! GRRR! [cursing] Thank the Lord the chips stayed within the "footprint" of the tuners...

2- The parts of the guitar that I thought would be most / more difficult....WERE! [glare]

3- WERE I to do this for a sideline...I would NEED a power buffer! ](*,)

4- Am I glad I went through with this.....OH YEAH! \:D/

Brian

WELLL...just about done! Between shoveling snow over the course of the entire day (snow blower, 14 years old, broken...) and rubbing the crap out of this guitar I'm beat! Coming out very nicely, more pics to follow- probably tomorrow...

1- Apparently the tuners were mounted BEFORE THE PAINT / FINISH was DRY!!! GRRR! [cursing] Thank the Lord the chips stayed within the "footprint" of the tuners...

2- The parts of the guitar that I thought would be most / more difficult....WERE! [glare]

3- WERE I to do this for a sideline...I would NEED a power buffer! ](*,)

4- Am I glad I went through with this.....OH YEAH! \:D/

Brian

Nitro is relatively soft, all Gibsons have marks where the tuners were, even on gloss finishes.

Nitro is relatively soft, all Gibsons have marks where the tuners were, even on gloss finishes.

I'll post some pics tonight. This is beyond marks; I'm talking about pulling the paint off- down to the base coat! Admittedly, I haven't changed out tuners on a Gibson with a finish such as this one; but I've done them on a Strat that had a nitro finish- no problems. I already scraped the paint off of the inside of the tuner bodies, but The headstock bears the paint pull off- fortunately,all of the chipping / pull off is within the footprint of the tuner mounting plate on the rear.

Brian

Hi Silvercrow, wow! you are doing a great job polishing to a mirror shine. Can't wait to see more photos. :)

Thanks Bro! I'm hoping to get pics up tonight. Been very busy with other things, but I did get it back together and set up very well. I also dressed the fret ends and polished the frets, as well as oiled the fretboard. Played it a lot yesterday...imagine, playing the guitar instead of tweaking it! [wink]

The frets were done pretty well but I figured while I had everything off, I'd do it to avoid taking all the strings off at once again. I know (or at least believe) that doing this doesn't hurt the guitar; I just don't like doing it unless I have to.

I'm still considering adding pickup covers, but never having done it before I'm hesitant. And I'm satisfied (VERY) with the tone as it is...so it will be a while, if ever, before I add covers.

Thanks again- pics soon!

Brian

Hi Silvercrow, I bought a fret end dressing file (it has a safety edge) and fret erasers from Crimson Guitars based in the UK. In the past I've used steel wool, great mirror like finish but very messy, so I thought I'd give the fret erasers a try.

I've done fret work before but since I moved, misplaced some tools.

All going to plan I hope to do this, this weekend. I've ordered a Gibson Angus Young pickup, Graph Tech nut and saddles. So while the strings are off I'll do it all. Changing strings is my least favourite job. I've resorted to wearing rubber gloves as I get a better grip otherwise its a bit like trying to rein in a wild horse :lol: plus I don't prick my finger tips.

With any luck, I too might end up playing my guitar :)

Hi Silvercrow, I bought a fret end dressing file (it has a safety edge) and fret erasers from Crimson Guitars based in the UK. In the past I've used steel wool, great mirror like finish but very messy, so I thought I'd give the fret erasers a try.

I've done fret work before but since I moved, misplaced some tools.

All going to plan I hope to do this, this weekend. I've ordered a Gibson Angus Young pickup, Graph Tech nut and saddles. So while the strings are off I'll do it all. Changing strings is my least favourite job. I've resorted to wearing rubber gloves as I get a better grip otherwise its a bit like trying to rein in a wild horse :lol: plus I don't prick my finger tips.

With any luck, I too might end up playing my guitar :)

Sounds good! You ought to post some pics too [wink]

At the end of the day, i like working on my own guitar...theres a satisfaction there as opposed to taking it to the shop, paying the dough and worrying (sometimes) and waiting. A real downside for me is that I've been a Fender guy so long, I know a ton of things about those guitars (Strats and Teles) but next to nothing about Gibson, comparitively.

I know what you mean about the string changing- here again, I got so used to using the old school slotted tuners ala Fender that when stringing a "normal" tuner I'm perplexed as to how to measure string length for proper wrapping, etc.

If you would, let me know how you like the stringsaver saddles? I've heard good reports and they just seem a good thing, although I'm concerned about tonal variance as different from metal.

Not to hijack my own thread...but I'll have to do some research on the Angus Young pup. He's got some bada$$ guitar tone so I'm thinking it'll be very good! I'm liking my 490s but I really liked the Burstbucker Pros that were in my LP Studio...so many options...so little money...LOL.

BEST WISHES Autumn Light&Shade! Let us know how you're doing with all that work!

Brian

03f2bda3-58ed-4861-bb22-9bdf16f8608b_zpswcowox7v.jpgHi Silvercrow, I like working on my guitars too, it gives a sense of satisfaction and you really get to know your guitar. I will add photos of the end result.

Youtube has some good videos of the Angus Young pup. Still haven't worked out how to include links.

A book I found really useful and for a good read (I really mean drool over) is 'Haynes Gibson SG Manual' by Paul Balmer. I got my copy from Amazon.

Kind regards, Emma

Archived