Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone?

Oddvar R

Hi. Can anyone say anything about this Les Paul from 1977? It's supposed to be deep fire engine red and a test clour for Gibson. I suspect that the neck might be alder, it's a bit lighter than mahogany. (It's a bit more red in real life)

post-70831-077314900 1425214863_thumb.jpg

Looks like a red Les Paul Custom with possibly changed knobs and pickups. Maybe Seymour Duncan pickups installed at the factory? A photo fo the serial number, back of headstock and the back may be of more help. The neck will be mahogany or maple. Never heard of a Les Paul with an alder neck. 77 had many maple neck Customs.

Hello and welcome to the Forums!

Very nice Norlin-era Les Paul Custom You have there! [thumbup]

It was rather made in the first half of the decade, than in '77. The form of the serial number, and the big volute suggests that it was made between 1970-1974. Not to mention the ABR-1 bridge (it was superseeded by the Nashville unit in 1975).

Color looks to be "Ferrari Red" - but that's color was offered in mid-80s. Maybe it was refinished? Or a custom-order? Who knows.

Cheers... Bence

The form of the serial number, and the big volute suggests that it was made between 1970-1974.

Yes, I'll agree with this statement, as the serial number scheme changed sometime in 1975. A '77 would have an eight-digit SN starting with the date code prefix "06".

I HAVE seen this color on a Les Paul Deluxe of the "Embossed Pickup" era (71-72/73). This may also lend itself to the reason the pickup covers were removed (or pickups replaced, as you state). At the time, we thought the Gibson logo stamped on all the pickups was a little over the top, and it only took Gibson a little over a year to figure that out and stop the feature.

I would open up the control cavity and see what the potentiometer codes are. You're looking for a seven-digit number on the back of the pots starting with "137", the last four digits are what is important. Many times these code numbers get covered up by the ground wire solder connections, but with four chances, you can usually 'cipher at least one.

The pot codes will tell you when the pots were made, and will "imply" a window of manufacture.

Interesting...

2Xth week of 1977!

Indeed, the serial number is correct for 1977 too!

Somehow, I could only see 6-digits of the serial on Your photos...

Anyways, the bridge and the form of the serial is strange. I always thought that '75-'77 serials came in this form:

Les_Paul_Artisan_06203941-037.jpg

Anyone, else to comment on this?

Cheers... Bence

The finish seems to be original, no sign of refinishing anywhere on the body.

I'm also a bit uncertain what kind of body it is? Gibson says mahogany, but did they clue two, three or more pieces togheter? It seems to be not lamineted the pancake way?

Archived