Gibson Brands Forums

les paul double cut classic 2015 red

lolo_guitar

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not sure if I am talking about the same guitar. I bought my DC in July of 2014. It was the guitar of the month, same one posted on the video. I really like the guitar. It plays great and the build was exceptional. There are no flaws. To me, the guitar color is more orange than red. I had been looking for a DC for several years and was glad I was able to purchase a new one. I have no complaints or problems with this guitar.

Kenny V

I also own a LP Standard too. They are quite similar in sound. The main difference is the standard has two volume and two tone control adjustment knobs and the DC has one volume and one tone control adjustment knob. Upper fret access is better on the DC. I like both of guitars a lot. I guess it comes down to a choice between easier upper fret accessibility, or better sound control, and what your musical needs are.

Kenny V

I also own a LP Standard too. They are quite similar in sound. The main difference is the standard has two volume and two tone control adjustment knobs and the DC has one volume and one tone control adjustment knob. Upper fret access is better on the DC. I like both of guitars a lot. I guess it comes down to a choice between easier upper fret accessibility, or better sound control, and what your musical needs are.

Kenny V

i read some comments: less sustain

maybe less wood can be a problem

For the type of music I play, standards,jazz, mixed in with a little soft rock, I hear no difference with sustain between the two guitars. I don't think a cutout would made that much difference, that's only my opinion. Depending on what sound you are after, the type of pickup may make a huge difference. I would suggest heading out to a guitar store and trying out/hearing the sound different Gibson pickups produce. I am not trying to avoid answering your question, but I don't want to suggest you buy one guitar over the other. They are both great guitars. Trying out different guitars is half the fun. The other half is finding the right guitar for you.

good luck and let us know what you purchase.

Kenny V

• 1 month later...

lolo guitar,

I am pretty sure the video you posted was not the guitar referred to. Your video looked like a 2014 model which comes at about double the cost.

The 2015 LP double cuts are pretty basic as shown here.

The bodies are slab types with no contoured cap; similar to LP Juniors.

They come with P90 pups and G-force auto tuners.

I had a studio in the 90s which I like slightly better than the Standard. I agree, too much neck for me also, that said they are decent sounding and I thought the Comp bridge increased sustain on the studio along with the 50's neck. The standards have 60s profile necks. If I'm not mistaken they released a 22 fret as opposed to the 24 not to long ago, maybe 2010 or so. I didn't see a real issue with access between single and double cut.

That said, the Diamond Blue are a nice finish imho. Here's one I googled in NYC. Its about what they go for here in this type of condition.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/msg/5034794367.html

Admittedly the appointments are nicer on the Standard. They made a Pro back in the 90s also which I liked also.

i was talking about

http://www.thomann.de/gb/gibson_les_paul_classic_double_cut.htm

is it a standard?

Well, it's not a 2015 model. I have played a couple of 2015s. They are less than half the price of this one.

I am pretty sure its a 2014. I've seen this on Thomann myself and was very tempted by it.

I happen to prefer double-cuts. Yes, I do know I'm in the minority - but someone has to be! [flapper]

I even prefer the simplified single tone & volume controls, having one of each configuration myself; though not on Gibsons.

I dont think the 'standard' moniker applies here. Yes it appears to be like the double cuts of old which is presumably why it's termed 'Classic'.

I think its beautiful, and if I lived close enough to test drive one, I would have done so before now. [drool]

i can't make up my mind

Gibson have not created a guitar for me lol

it's true !!

you like double cut ? yes! yeah

me too BUTTTT

problem ? i read some people said the sound was not as loud/fat than a real LES PAUL

and it may be a problem : i don't want less, i want MORE :))

- 2knobs : i like the LES PAUL's because there are split, bypass, out of phase

how can i have that ? is it possible to add 2 knobs ? or 2 things for that ?

you are funny :)

in the other side, there are some PRS custom 24 but i really want a fat tone like Gary Moore had

and he did not play with PRS Lol

PRS is the easy way to have 24 frets and double cut but what about the sound ?

so, i am dreaming about a les paul which does not exist lol

or an old one? a double cut standard? 2 knobs only too

so difficult ....

So, maybe you want to look at something like the Les Paul Traditional Pro II (which is now discontinued but you can still find a few out there) or they just released the new Traditional Pro III's which are very similar with a different pickup set and less finish options. Great value too!

Here's a good video on the Trad Pro II's. The only error in what they say is that the boost is adjustable from a pot behind the battery cover.

I have a 2013 and love it!

you like double cut ? yes! yeah

me too BUTTTT

problem ? i read some people said the sound was not as loud/fat than a real LES PAUL

in the other side, there are some PRS custom 24 but i really want a fat tone like Gary Moore had

and he did not play with PRS Lol

PRS is the easy way to have 24 frets and double cut but what about the sound ?

so, i am dreaming about a les paul which does not exist lol

or an old one? a double cut standard? 2 knobs only too

so difficult ....

Sounds like you have talked yourself out of a doublecut.

A PRS Custom 24 sounds nothing like a Les Paul. I have one (SE). I love the sound, but its a whole other animal.

I have a guitar based on the LP Doublecut design. It is all mahogany, warm sound, lots of sustain and 4 knobs & split coil HBs.

It is with my luthier now having the electrics upgraded. Still doesnt play or sound like a LP though. :) Heres one....

$_1.JPG?set_id=880000500F

You will not find a guitar that ticks all your boxes.

Myself, I put the sound first and playability second. What about a single cut LP? I think most people want an LP to look like an LP. The doublecut doesnt really does it?

The width and the binding and the string alignment make it feel like too much neck. The location of the heel at the cut in of the body makes for a great percentage of the guitar being neck and a lesser percentage being body, and the body is small to begin with. All in all, it feels like you are playing one of those foam #1 hands that people hold up at basketball games. I wanted to swat flies with it. Play ping pong. Paddle a canoe. Anything but play the guitar.

rct

Archived