Gibson Brands Forums

stolen LES PAUL

kb5szo

I really don't think I'll ever see my guitar again but here is my story ----November 1975 - Starkville Mississippi (mississippi State University area) - Thanksgiving - I went to my parents house in North Mississippi for a visit - I returned home that night got ready for bed and noticed my 357 magnum Dan Wesson revolver was not at my bed-side table - a search of my home revealed all my firearms (except my muzzleloaders) were gone all my guitars and smaller amps were gone - local law enforcement was called and robbery was reported- That night when I returned home a auto owned by ""Two Friends"" almost ran me off the road on the small /short dirt road to my home - I didn't think much about it as they knew my neighbors and visited them often -- the ""Friends"" were two brothers visiting family in Sturgis Mississippi I'll call them M.W.& K.W --- local law enforcement stated they robbed me but couldn't prove it stating they were robbing folks for instruments and cars . These brothers were from Kankankee Illinois the guitar they stole was a Black Beauty Fretless Wonder Les Paul in a Gibson case with the words""" Fragile & Hand's off""" on the case the gold pickup covers were removed(I still have them) ---- Local law enforcement requested my assistance /undercover thing to set them up for auto theft but canceled when I mandated I had to be carring a firearm during all encounters -- so the guitar of my dreams I saved for for years- that I could never afford to replace - was gone --- two long haired white brothers that played rock - ripped me off and got away with it -- I just wonder how many others they robbed Eddy

SO my story is you never know who you can trust---- I'ved have these two brothers over countless times - for supper- for drinks just to listen to music - you name it --- M.K even loaned me his clear " what ever - plexiglass " guitar with pickups that slide in and out (used by the Rolling Stones he said) weighed a ton ) but I was fooled SOMEBODY out there has my Les Paul and I Hope you enjoy it and I hope sooner or later you pay for buying a stolen guitar eddy

How's 'bout we don't call 'em MW & KW and we actually call them by their names in the odd off chance anyone has had any kind of passing encounters with these brothers and could inquire or could have heard something from them as odds-against as that seems...

I don't blame you for wanting to be armed, but I'd have kept it to myself and just gone armed without tellin' the cops... (easy to armchair quarterback something that happened 40 years ago, no offense intended)

I'd have never given-up on trying to find out... I'd have hounded them for info on where my firearms and guitars went and never left them alone until the told me to shut me up and make me go away...

Or I'd have killed them... [scared]

Sure it's some moot bravado, but had it happened to me I might well have found my own country justice as we're known to do up here in the foothills of The Berkshires...

I'm sure there are volumes of untold details on how hard you did try to get yer stuff back that is hard to fathom at this late date in the game...

A tough row to hoe! I feel for ya!

It would be nice to take the law in our own hands and hunt these rabid dogs down but that never ends well and the ramifications of such actions usually end up in a serious confrontation with dire results and/or serious prison time. I'm sure there's a special place in hell for anyone who would steal a guitar - or anything else guitar related . . . msp_wink.gif

Folks I did everything I could to assist in recovering my guitar but back in the '70's -----in Mississippi things were ancient informing the FBI data base ?????? --- months after the robbery I found out the robbery was never recorded in the FBI database (firearms stolen so the guitar would be listed also) so it was basically never reported to a list of stole items -- my post is to alert my fellow guitar owners - watch who you be-friend watch what info you post on line it may bite ya in the behind one day HACKERS can find ya if you have something worth stealing-----Me I wish somebody out there thinks "I know that Guitar" and says something -but I don't think it will happen given the value of that guitar in today's market . EM

In retrospect, do you wish you would have allowed the police to handle it without you having a gun on you personally? I know we are all geniuses with the retrospectascope and I may have misinterpreted what you said in the OP but can you imagine what went through their heads when the thought of you confronting the thieves with a weapon and the thieves had weapons? Even 40 some odd years ago I don't think that would have been agreed to by any police department.

Sorry about your loss, that kind of thing can stick in your craw for years. I had my little storage shed broken into in 1968 and I had a Beatles "Dead babies, Yesterday and Today" album stolen and I still haven't gotten over it. [cursing] I hope you get it back.

Against my better judgment, I'm gonna jump in here. I was a police detective in my "first" career- just under 20 years. (No I didn't get canned- it was more important to raise my daughter than continue the work I was doing- long story, not here). I will with all certainty tell you your guitar was sold, and probably re-sold VERY quickly. If those guys had an outlet for the guns, they had an outlet for the expensive / desirable guitar, also. ANYTHING that is easily traced (guns, high end guitars)is gone quickly, cash exchanged.

Having said that, IF you knew the guitar's serial number, some positively identifying thing about the guitar, you might stand a chance of getting it back. SLIM but you never know. The BEST course of action, sans playing the game the police wanted you to, would have been to report it YOURSELF to ALL local guitar shops and pawn shops in the area. Also the local music venues, local bands etc. MUCH easier to do now with the internet- in 1975...not so much.

I mark all my guitars, record their serial numbers, etc. Easy enough to do and while it doesn't guarantee retrieval, it can help.

About three years ago I parked my car, containing two very expensive guitars, leaving the door unlocked. I'd intended to go in to a residence for "just a minute", ran into a guy I knew and talked for over 20 minutes. I came out to see my passenger door open, and my gig bag on the curb about 10 feet away. I did (do) have the serial numbers and pictures- still no recovery. Oh...it was 2:30 PM on an overcast day, in a small town known for it's LACK of crime. I of all people should have known better, and did know better.

It hurts Bro- and I feel for you!

G&L started micro-chipping their U.S. made guitars a few years ago. I wonder why more, major manufacturers don't?

Brian

Enemies of the people who steal guitars deserve to catch their foreskin in the steel teeth of their levi's zipper.

Now that would be justice. Hurts worse than a bee sting.

Now that's just down right nasty [biggrin]

Ian

Because it's just a guitar? Maybe?

rct

If it represents $1000.00 or more in investment, possibly much more in emotional / sentimental value (SOME folks have to save for many months, perhaps a year or more before affording an instrument of $1000.00 or more)and may be their only shot at a good instrument, seems worth it to me.

To some lucky folks perhaps the loss of $1000.00 or more means nothing? I would think that even folks that are well to do, AND got that way by working hard and planning, the loss of "one large" / plus means something. So, in my opinion, the small (miniscule, in relation to a major manufacturer's cost) investment of micro-chips and a code reader would equate to dividends with the guitar buying public.

Hell, the companies wouldn't even have to invest in a reader; when I worked in the private loss prevention arena a box of 5000 "card chips" had a phenomenal accuracy rate for the 7-9 digit chips.

And when speaking of an heirloom, or collectable I'd think it would have good value too. But of course that would be an aftermarket accessory.

Finally, anything within reason, to return property to the rightful owner, could equate to a down-turn in loss, at least along a market segment.

Just sayin'... [wink]

Brian

If it represents $1000.00 or more in investment, possibly much more in emotional / sentimental value (SOME folks have to save for many months, perhaps a year or more before affording an instrument of $1000.00 or more)and may be their only shot at a good instrument, seems worth it to me.

To some lucky folks perhaps the loss of $1000.00 or more means nothing? I would think that even folks that are well to do, AND got that way by working hard and planning, the loss of "one large" / plus means something. So, in my opinion, the small (miniscule, in relation to a major manufacturer's cost) investment of micro-chips and a code reader would equate to dividends with the guitar buying public.

Hell, the companies wouldn't even have to invest in a reader; when I worked in the private loss prevention arena a box of 5000 "card chips" had a phenomenal accuracy rate for the 7-9 digit chips.

And when speaking of an heirloom, or collectable I'd think it would have good value too. But of course that would be an aftermarket accessory.

Finally, anything within reason, to return property to the rightful owner, could equate to a down-turn in loss, at least along a market segment.

Just sayin'... [wink]

Brian

If someone breaks into our house and takes all of my guitars and doesn't kill our cats I'll be one happy person. I can replace all of my guitars, and they cost just as much to me as they cost to anyone, we have all put our extra money into them. A grand is a grand, no matter who spent it.

I've been playing since 1971. After about 20 years you pretty much sound pretty much like you on pretty much any guitar you pick up, and you should be able to play prety much any decent guitar you pick up and pretty much get a decent sound out of it.

IT'S JUST A GUITAR.

rct

Archived