Gibson Brands Forums

Rosewood Maduro Brown VOS/Gloss

The Kid

Hey, I just wonder if anyone knows much about the Gibson Les Paul Custom Maduro Brown. I have one, with the serial number 200714 and wonder how many of those guitars that actually was made?

I know it's a quite unusual model, cause of the rosewood fretboard (first one Gibson done on a LP Custom). Must say this guitar sounds really amazing.

I also have seen some sellers on the web, that says this V.O.S one, has 490R and 498T pups.. But its really just the Gloss-version that've got those pups.

The V.O.S truly specs says Classic 57 both in neck and bridge.

Does anyone know if this guitar ever was made with 490R and 498T even on the V.O.S model? The Gloss-model comes originally with those pups, but not the V.O.S.

Wondering if the sellers really speaks the truth, thou it's a quite expensive guitar =P.

LET THERE BE ROCK!

Regs!

//Kid

Hello Kid and welcome to the Forums!

They were crafted in Gloss and V.O.S. version too. The pickups are: 490R and 498T Humbuckers on Gloss, '57 Classics on VOS.

I guess, the seller just confused, doesn't know what it came with. If You are desperate finding out the truth, measure the DC resistance of the pickups with a multimeter.

shal1234-albums-my-stuff-picture451-pickup-guide-chart.jpg

By the way, You have got a beautiful guitar! Congratulations!

Cheers... Bence

• 1 month later...

Thank you very much =)!

Actually I haven't really checked the backside of the pups yet, cause everytime I was gonna restring, It was in a hurry situation xD. Next time Im gonna check the label on the pups if it says 57 Classic, as the gibson spec says. Althou its strange that some sellers gives the spec 490/498 on the vos model.

Thank you very much for the awesome words, its a beautiful guitar. I play it everyday and it never fails in tuning etc. well not yet haha xD.

Regs

//Kid

"all about guitars is subjective"

Thank you very much =)!

Actually I haven't really checked the backside of the pups yet, cause everytime I was gonna restring, It was in a hurry situation xD. Next time Im gonna check the label on the pups if it says 57 Classic, as the gibson spec says. Althou its strange that some sellers gives the spec 490/498 on the vos model.

Thank you very much for the awesome words, its a beautiful guitar. I play it everyday and it never fails in tuning etc. well not yet haha xD.

Regs

//Kid

"all about guitars is subjective"

I don't believe you'll find anything on the back of the pick ups except the usual patent# that's stamped on all pick ups. I wish Gibson would label their pick ups, it would make life easier. Measure the resistance of the pick ups with a meter. Date stamping ended in the mid 80's.

Congratulations on the guitar, it looks cool! [thumbup]

I've got a 2013 LP Custom with a rosewood fret board, too. Gibson was going through their wood importation issues with the government, and it has Custombuckers.

• 7 months later...

I checked the back of the pickups and it was saying "Classic 57" plus initials who wounded them and also the date of manufacturing of the pickups =). Altho it was typed on a small sticker underneith it. So I got my answer at last =P.

Archived