Gibson Brands Forums

New Tuners on my J-45 Standard, Quick Review

Jjunk

Hi all. I've had a couple nice sets of tuners lying around and I thought I'd make a quick Sunday project out of installing them on my new J-45. I know there are countless threads out there on this, but I wanted share with others that both of these particular sets are great options for anyone looking. The first is a set of Grover Deluxe Tulips, and the second a set of Tonepro's Kluson Deluxe White Buttons. Both fit well and drop right in with no mods needed except adding the second screw hole per tuner. I know some of you have swapped these in without adding the second screw hole, and mention that they are plenty stable. I went with the white buttons, and did add the additional screws. Here's a pic of the options, and I'll post a pic of the finished headstock soon. Also I just want to mention that the quality of both of these sets is very good. The Tonepro's are a bit pricier and perhaps just a touch nicer in quality, but honestly both are very well built and feel smooth and solid.

Yes... I almost went down the Waverly's road... but I didn't want to relocate the existing screwholes. With the Tonepro's I can easily swap the Roto's back in if I ever need to (though I certainly don't see myself selling this one anytime soon!).

So... now what do I do with the Tulips?!

photo%20mar%2001%2C%202%2023%2020%20pm.jpg?dl=0

Definitely the ovals. I would really like to hear if you notice any sonic difference after the switch.

And if yes, what would be the logic ? Something based on weight, yes, but. . .

Some say it could mean loss of volume, , , or rather sustain.

Hmm, I don't think there is any noticeable difference in tone actually (and I did keep the same strings on). I definitely do notice the weight difference though. It's quite nice, the neck just feels lighter and more balanced somehow.

the

Hmm, I don't think there is any noticeable difference in tone actually (and I did keep the same strings on). I definitely do notice the weight difference though. It's quite nice, the neck just feels lighter and more balanced somehow.

Aha - reason for asking is that I just ordered a set of Tulips for newly neck-sanded Dove.

It has golden Grovers, which still work and actually look pretty cool as they have fade to chrome here and there.

Just think the golden-green-plast-black-stemmed-tulips will be nicer. We'll see, , , and hear. .

When i installed white button tuners I sanded the plastic buttons with a fine grit to get rid of the new plastic shine. For me it really made a difference although purely aesthetic of course. Also I trimmed some of the excess plastic left at the stem witch made them look even more historically correct in my humble opinion, kinda made them longer. Anyways, I consider the white buttons a great upgrade for the standard j45, as it does indeed reduce the weight of the headstock and makes it look a bit more like the good ol j45. Not that the grovers aren't great tuners but for a recreational player like myself I want my guitar as light as possible and care little about the durability of the tuners. I also suspect gibson may have added the grovers to the standard in order to sell more TVs to people wanting the traditional look but that's just speculation from my part.

Oh, and thanks for the review! When I made the upgrade I didn't find a lot of info on the web so thanks for sharing your experiences for future upgraders to behold!

Chris

When i installed white button tuners I sanded the plastic buttons with a fine grit to get rid of the new plastic shine. For me it really made a difference although purely aesthetic of course. Also I trimmed some of the excess plastic left at the stem witch made them look even more historically correct in my humble opinion, kinda made them longer. Anyways, I consider the white buttons a great upgrade for the standard j45, as it does indeed reduce the weight of the headstock and makes it look a bit more like the good ol j45. Not that the grovers aren't great tuners but for a recreational player like myself I want my guitar as light as possible and care little about the durability of the tuners. I also suspect gibson may have added the grovers to the standard in order to sell more TVs to people wanting the traditional look but that's just speculation from my part.

Oh, and thanks for the review! When I made the upgrade I didn't find a lot of info on the web so thanks for sharing your experiences for future upgraders to behold!

Chris

I understand that nor you did experience any sonic difference. .

I understand that nor you did experience any sonic difference. .

To be honest I didn't pay much attention to the sound sorry. What I can say is that you will get a steeper break angle on the nut so the strings might bind a bit more than usual. For some reason it dido not occur to me that the tuners could impact the sound until after I did the upgrade. Now I enjoy playing the guitar too much to spend time on reversing the upgrade but if I'm bored one day maybe I'll do a comparison with the same set of strings, if so I'll post it here.

I'd keep the tulips, at least for awhile, in case you "need" them. You can't get back what you probably have in them anyway. For me, a J-45 just looks right with the white button tuners and the reason to take off Rotomatics has been more about their weight than any other consideration. I sanded off the mold lines on the buttons on my J-50 within a week of owning the guitar and took the sheen off the buttons themselves but that was all cosmetic personal preference on my part.

the

Aha - reason for asking is that I just ordered a set of Tulips for newly neck-sanded Dove.

It has golden Grovers, which still work and actually look pretty cool as they have fade to chrome here and there.

Just think the golden-green-plast-black-stemmed-tulips will be nicer. We'll see, , , and hear. .

I didn't notice any tone difference when I did the same change on my Bird Pro. I did notice the weight loss though.

I swapped the rotomatics on my 2008 J-50 to Golden Age open strips last year. Really, I didn't notice a difference in tone - sounded good before and after.

new%20tuners.jpg

BTW, I put tuners like your tulips on my 1974 J-50 and think they work very well. However mine say Gibson on them and are sold by Gibson at Guitar Center. The originals were metal tulips, one was broken off and the others were really stiff.

Thanks everyone. Here are a few quick pics! Good tips about cleaning up the buttons a bit - these are pretty good but I think I will do some light sanding. The tulips had a much more pronounced seam in the plastic. PS... that's a new firestripe guard as well, love the character of it.

FullSizeRender%202.jpg?dl=0

FullSizeRender%203.jpg?dl=0

FullSizeRender%204.jpg?dl=0

Thanks everyone. Here are a few quick pics! Good tips about cleaning up the buttons a bit - these are pretty good but I think I will do some light sanding. The tulips had a much more pronounced seam in the plastic. PS... that's a new firestripe guard as well, love the character of it.

FullSizeRender%202.jpg?dl=0

FullSizeRender%203.jpg?dl=0

FullSizeRender%204.jpg?dl=0

Nice looking guard! I got a beveled tortoise one from terrapin but I'm considering a new one because the shape is not quite right. If you don't mind where did u get yours?

Nice looking guard! I got a beveled tortoise one from terrapin but I'm considering a new one because the shape is not quite right. If you don't mind where did u get yours?

Sure - firestripepickguards.com I came across his guards on this forum actually, and have used two of them now. I purchased them through Reverb. He hand makes them in batches, so you have to keep your eye out for availability. They are both beautiful and fit really well.

Sure - firestripepickguards.com I came across his guards on this forum actually, and have used two of them now. I purchased them through Reverb. He hand makes them in batches, so you have to keep your eye out for availability. They are both beautiful and fit really well.

Thanks! I will keep an eye out!

Archived