Gibson Brands Forums

Is PayPal safe…?

daveinspain

I have an add on line to sell my Gretsch 6120 which I don't use, just sits in the case so it's better off with someone who would enjoy and use this greater guitar. I have a guy that's very interested and wants to buy it. At first he asked for my bank information to send the money but I said PayPal would be better and he agreed no problem. He said he will send a transport company to pick up the guitar at his expense once I verify the funds are in my account. Seems perfect but once I confirm the funds are in my account and send off the guitar is there any way he can cancel the transaction?

Any of you guys who buy and sell guitars know how safe these type of transactions are? I was hoping to sell it locally and have some one try the guitar, like it, agree to buy it, hand over the cash and be on there way. I'm just worried the guy could buy it and then claim the guitar has some defect or damaged in transit and try to get the money back… I should be more trusting I guess but I am afraid of people trying to take advantage of the internet who are scammers….

Don't do it!!!!

That is a scam that has been going around E-Bay , Craig's list for a couple of years now

Only accept payment through Pay-Pal.

You can also cal Pay-Pal and they will confirm this type of scam that has been going around.

Also you ship the item.

Don't let them send a shipping company to your house, as that is also part of the scam.

I really suggest you contact Pay-Pal so they can confirm both of these scams for you.

I have sold hundreds of items using Pay-Pal with maybe two transactions with issues, but even that was with delivery being a day or two late.

Just for fun, I just googled Pay-Pal and Craig's list scams, and they have identified some of these scams going around.

If you are new to Pay-Pal you should check this out.

Also be aware that if your Pay-Pal account is new there is a waiting time where they hold your payment in an account for a period of days.

Plus Pay-Pay will not help you if it is purchased on Craig's list.

Pay -Pay will only protect you if the purchase was made using E-Bay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhMAlJcNG4I

I had similar enquiries to almost everything I sold on segundamano.es whilst living in Spain. Stick to plan A; sell locally.

I have an add on line to sell my Gretsch 6120 which I don't use, just sits in the case so it's better off with someone who would enjoy and use this greater guitar. I have a guy that's very interested and wants to buy it. At first he asked for my bank information to send the money but I said PayPal would be better and he agreed no problem. He said he will send a transport company to pick up the guitar at his expense once I verify the funds are in my account. Seems perfect but once I confirm the funds are in my account and send off the guitar is there any way he can cancel the transaction?

Any of you guys who buy and sell guitars know how safe these type of transactions are? I was hoping to sell it locally and have some one try the guitar, like it, agree to buy it, hand over the cash and be on there way. I'm just worried the guy could buy it and then claim the guitar has some defect or damaged in transit and try to get the money back… I should be more trusting I guess but I am afraid of people trying to take advantage of the internet who are scammers….

What a shame!

I would love to have one of those.

Realy nice sounding and beatyfull guitars.

But it's way over my budget.msp_thumbdn.gif

Hopefully I win next time I play the ONCE lottery, LOL!

Good thing is, dreaming is for free.

Well wish you luck to find a clean and good deal.

And wish me luck with the lottery.eusa_pray.gif

Wow, looks like I barely avoided the scam. I put a saxophone and trumpet on Craig's list. Not long afterwards (a few hours), I received a text that the person would like to purchase using Pay-Pal and that they would have a moving company come and pick up the sax after the transaction cleared through PayPal. I told them I don't have a PayPal account and I didn't want to set one up. Long story short, I didn't hear back after a few more emails. It probably was the same scam. :-k

Has anybody heard of the results of this scam? What does the shipping company do when they come to your house? Glad I was so firm on not doing PayPal. The person trying to buy said they are out of town working for an oil company. They texted three times and emailed twice trying to convince me to use PayPal. I am selling the sax for $1,000. it was getting tempting, but I held to my guns. Don't like dealing with my bank account on-line.

I don't see any problem, Dave. If the guy pays you through PayPal, the deal is done. Once the money is in your account, there's no way the guy is going to get it back.

I've done deals thru PayPal outside of eBay and there's no big deal.

Just have the guy PayPal you the money for goods and services. You pay the paypal fee and boom, its done.

If the guy wants you to ship it to him, no big deal. Just use a reputable shipper and get a receipt. If it's his shipper, no big deal. In the States, people use their own shippers all the time. No biggie. [thumbup]

In response to the questions about the money in your Pay-Pal account to where it's "safe"

That is not true with this type of scam.

I don't remember the specifics (Pay-Pal could tell you) but I have heard from Pay -Pal the with these scams the money has been with drawn back to the scammer.

There are so many ways to scam and cheat people now.

Only way to protect your self is wait until the money is in your Pay -Pal account, transfer to your bank, then ship.

With new accounts there will be a waiting time before you can transfer the money to your bank account.

I really suggest you call Pay -Pal for the specifics and how these scammers are really working the systems for these scams to work.

It is a scam plain and simple....they always say they will send someone to pick it up..and my response is to have them wire or paypal ( since they are always so insistent about paypal for " my " convenience).....money to the person picking it up.........thats usually the last convesation we have cause they move on..... I mean, I live in Ontario Canada....what the hell would I be doing searching kijiji in Kentucky for example....warning sign number one.

There's nothing here to indicate anything out of the ordinary Dave. Familiarize yourself with the PayPal terms and don't ship until the payment has "cleared."

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/helpcenter/helphub/article/?solutionId=FAQ2334&topicID=&m=ARA

That is absolutely NOT true.

The OP was being set up for one of the more recent PayPal scams involving Craigslist (or any site outside of Ebay).

There are a number of variations on the theme, but they're all just 20 year old check scams that have been updated for internet use.

Google "PayPal scams." The scenario that the OP saw was just one of many.

DO NOT FALL FOR THIS. IT IS A SCAM.

The reason it can be used as a scam is Paypal's Buyer Protection. If you ship something, you have proof. You have a tracking number or at least a confirmation number. If you hand it off to some "shipping company" of the buyer's, they take the guitar and you have no way of proving you ever sent it. Buyer claims they paid but you never sent it, Paypal takes the money out of your account and gives it back, and they close the account that was probably made with a fake name and/or stolen credit card/bank info. They disappear, you have no recourse even if you finally find a way to prove it.

I've see this happen..don't buy it...

-Ryan

There's nothing here to indicate anything out of the ordinary Dave. Familiarize yourself with the PayPal terms and don't ship until the payment has "cleared."

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/helpcenter/helphub/article/?solutionId=FAQ2334&topicID=&m=ARA

I would suggest not encouraging somebody to walk into a scam that's been going on for years...there are so many red flags it's not even funny. I've had this exact thing happen to friends; hell, I nearly fell for it back when I believed the same thing as you. Paypal sides with the Buyer, 9/10 times.

-Ryan

Some VERY good info here - I agree it is 100% likely a scam - if they send their own shipping company to get it.....no way.

It's your guitar and you send it out and charge them for shipping. I have had 2 ebay deals recently where the buyer collected the item after paying but I specified collection as these were big items....my experience has been where the buyer asks for cash-on-collect they may try to short-pay you.

And I've had a few things like buyers saying "btw my Paypal account has been locked". Fine. Unlock it and then I'll deal with you.

Always ship the item you are selling yourself, and get a tracking number and signed for.

...sign number 2...you notice they always ask the same question......" Anything else to ad or does the add say it all " comment..

and sign number 3......notice they never ( or rarely ) haggle your price..if it's legit most people always want you to knock 50 or 100 or more off your asking price but these scammers always are ok to pay your asking price......altho they may be changing the game plan and wising up to that.

This guy is willing to buy the guitar for my asking price. At first he was asking me if I would trade it for some high end American made Guild acoustic which he sent me a ton of photos and a video of… He also wants me to send him a whole bunch of new photos of my guitar and send them to him. I asked him what was the matter with the photos I have in the add… I am hesitant to send someone a bunch of detailed photos of my guitar that they could use later to try and scam someone with by using my photos to lure someone into buy a guitar they don't have…

If he calls back I will tell him I will sell him the guitar if I am paid in cash by who ever picks it up…

Back in the black and white days we had no trouble buying, trading, and selling guitars. I don't understand how you kids took all this technology and turned it tos hit too.

rct

Of all the foolish stuff that gets said on this forum, this is one of the worst. You guys need to go back under your beds and don't come out until all this blows over. Then you wont have to confront the real world and learn how to transact business like a grownup.

I'm not even responding to you guys. What a bunch of foolishness!! Learn how to read!! :rolleyes:

Dave - No problem. Make sure the money clears, use a commercial courier and get a receipt and don't listen to these fussbudgets. Sheesh!!

The rest of you guys - How do you think the rest of the world does business? Hiding under their beds? (scaredy cat smiley)

Well....better safe than sorry.

It may be genuine given that he wanted to trade a Guild (didn't know that) but the 'send courier to pick it up' thing gets the alarm bells ringing as that trick IS used in a scam.

Archived