Gibson Brands Forums

Half of Jimmy Page wiring works. Need help with other half :P

Ok so Ive been tinkering around with a "50s" version of the Jimmy Page wiring scheme with dpdt switches instead of push pull pots on my ES-175. The bridge pickup side works fine. Coil split and phase switch works as it should.

When I switch to the neck pickup or flip the series switch, all I get is loud hum/buzz. I made sure the color codes were correct for the 57s, started with all new pots switches and caps, checked everything 3 times no wires or solder joints touching, wiring is correct to diagram, no noise from bridge pickup. Every video tutorial I have watched is with the guitar already wired and they don't even play it! How am I supposed to know if their layout works?

Now I'm starting to think maybe the schematic is off and not me anymore. I'll post it and I would greatly appreciate any feedback from someone who has done this mod. Could this be due to a faulty switch or pot? Or maybe a bad solder joint on the back of one of the neck pots? This is what makes me think it's the diagram: I wired the whole thing up with clips before I soldered, and it still had the same problem. I soldered it up thinking maybe a loose connection, but still nothing. The original Seymour Duncan schematic got me no sound at all, which is why Id like to fix this version instead of starting over for the 4th time lol

I've noticed when soldering with rosin core that the rosin will sometimes melt and appear to layer itself under the solder. Could something like this possibly be blocking connection? It doesn't seem like it but I thought I would ask.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

This is the diagram I followed.

Jimmy Page 50s Wiring - MyLesPaul.com

And yes guys, I'm familiar with single coil buzz and amp grounding buzz and this is not it. I'm saying this because over-zealous posters on other forums have suggested that it could be both of those without fully reading my post.

Since you have done everything right and it still don't work.....I cannot do a darn thing to help you.... [scared]

PS....I have wired to an internet schematic before. Only to find that the dude left out "one minor detail".....jes sayin' I posed the issue on an electronics forum site and the guy 'fessed-up'to his error.....

More than likely, there are other Jimmy Page mod schematics on-line. Check and compare. Re-check your work>

Good luck!

Thanks for the response, rod. I've actually been looking over the schematic from diyguitarmods and there are some differences. I suppose I'll try this one and report back. Just the thought of having to pull it all out and back in through those f holes...bleh. Oh, well. Buy the ticket, take the ride. :D

Well sure if you want to limit it to a certain type of music. Mine is pretty unorthodox and these options really opens up this guitar with my main recording amp. So you're saying I shouldn't be doing this because of your opinion of the instrument? Don't be so black and white, dude. It's 2015 :D

Archived