Gibson Brands Forums

masterbilt mystery

olie

I was wondering if there is an answer to the glut of Masterbilt DR500mce's on ebay(19 by a recent count)and the raise in price in Canada, at least from $659 to $799 in the last couple of weeks of new guitars in stores.Maybe I'm an X-Files freak but this seems counter-intuitive,don't you think?Perhaps someone "out there" can provide insight.

I bought my DR500mce Vintage Sunburst from ebay. A refurbish special for $439 US. Guitarstobeplayed is his store on ebay. Good guy. He describes each flaw and/or repair made. Guitar came setup and tuned from Nashville to East Texas in 3 days. The flaws are microscopic. The sound is phenomenal.

I was wondering if there is an answer to the glut of Masterbilt DR500mce's on ebay(19 by a recent count)and the raise in price in Canada, at least from $659 to $799 in the last couple of weeks of new guitars in stores.Maybe I'm an X-Files freak but this seems counter-intuitive,don't you think?Perhaps someone "out there" can provide insight.

It's extremely likely that the two are unrelated.

rct

got me wondering now LOL > I wonder if they solved/improved the low volume or output of this model . This is `the only one I have but all that I have played which have been a few all had very low volume out put compared to other guitars. That's the only guess I have :)

I was wondering if there is an answer to the glut of Masterbilt DR500mce's on ebay(19 by a recent count)and the raise in price in Canada, at least from $659 to $799 in the last couple of weeks of new guitars in stores.....

Well, ebay has always had quite a few newer DRs up for sale, and a high percentage of them have been refurbs. Is there more than one outfit buying these 'blems' from Epiphone, refurbishing them, and reselling? Maybe they overbought and they're trying to unload? 19 is a lot, but maybe just a few more than typical.

As for the price hike, that is really outrageous. I'd like to hear their explanation for that. But what's important is...

You got yours under the wire! Are Masterbilts great guitars or what?!

Best of my knowledge all the refurbs go to MIRC in Nashville. Vendors buy them and put them on ebay and sell them. In a way, if you can get past the blemish and the no warranty, you get a guitar thoroughly inspected and professionally set up for a pretty good price.

Well, ebay has always had quite a few newer DRs up for sale, and a high percentage of them have been refurbs. Is there more than one outfit buying these 'blems' from Epiphone, refurbishing them, and reselling? Maybe they overbought and they're trying to unload? 19 is a lot, but maybe just a few more than typical.

As for the price hike, that is really outrageous. I'd like to hear their explanation for that. But what's important is...

Hey Cougar-yeah they are good guitars and it seems Gibson just realized the corner they painted themselves into.Comparable value to much pricier instruments.I have to wonder about the sheer volume of re-furbished guitars that find their way to all these on-line dealers.Saves hooking up with music shops? Thanks for your interest and feedback.

Best of my knowledge all the refurbs go to MIRC in Nashville. Vendors buy them and put them on ebay and sell them. In a way, if you can get past the blemish and the no warranty, you get a guitar thoroughly inspected and professionally set up for a pretty good price. .

I got mine through that channel myself and I'm not complaining.The lack of warranty you get through a dealer is the dice you roll to get the price point.It might be that the confidence consumers are feeling by shopping online is driving the market.I worked in a high-end camera store years ago and know first-hand the frustration of demonstrating a product that would be purchased down the street from the cut-rate guys that sent them to us for a free demo.I hear that it's a jungle out there!Thanks for your time.

I bought mine in Peterborough, On., at Long & McQuade, the manager told me the price increase was a reflection of the Cdn. $ vs the U.S.$.

They price matched with a store in the Toronto area (LA Music) so I was lucky to save over $150.00

They are quite plentiful in the UK and all dealers seem to have the same price £439.00 - personally I don't like em

Curious that you need to comment on something with which you have no use.

Best of my knowledge all the refurbs go to MIRC in Nashville. Vendors buy them and put them on ebay and sell them.

Oh, other dealers get them from MIRC. I see. If the dealer is in Nashville, I expect they can walk through MIRC and pick the good ones...?

In a way, if you can get past the blemish and the no warranty, you get a guitar thoroughly inspected and professionally set up for a pretty good price.

Like you say, if they describe the guitar well, you're likely getting a perfectly playable and sounding Masterbilt, which is a good thing. [thumbup]

Archived