Gibson Brands Forums

Hardwood Guitars

Kaiser Bill

Has anyone ever heard of a Harwood Guitar from New York?? A good friend bought one at a garage sale and is pondering getting the bridge glued on in a proper fashion. The previous owner did a botched-up job. Also any idea of what it is actually worth?? I told him I thought it was a "parlor guitar".

Thanks for any help.

P1040036s_zps3gkkii4i.jpg

P1040032s_zpskked2o8q.jpg

Harwood, not Hardwood.

I had one back in the late 80s/early 90s. I did a California Reset on it, where I separated the back from the rims by the neck heel, shifted the neck angle, reglued it and trimmed the excess. As I recall it had no binding at all so the trimming was easy with a flat file.

I'll see if I have a photo.

Sorry I couldn't tell you more about the brand. I almost think I wrote to George Gruhn and he replied with a letter stating it was "typical of the brand around 1900". I thought it was an excellent parlor guitar, particularly after the quickie neck set. I even strung it with 12-52 bronze. It may have exploded after a while but not while I had it.

If I recall, traded it and an old Haynes open back banjo at Elderly Instruments towards a big fat ES-150 back in 1994.

RCT, the placemats are long gone but here's my current digs....1963 countertop and 1974 linoleum. And 1988 Seresta classical.

vnpab4.jpg

Archived