Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Masterbuilt series

mojogood

And I've been wondering what the Gibson Masterbuilt Series was for a week. As one who has been closely following the rosewood slopes for while now, there was some hope to see some openness to negotiability ; ). That would allow for a tuner swap, removal of UST, and fitting of new compensated saddle. Oh well, nice looking guitar, though.

Unless that guitar says Masterbuilt on the label, I see nothing that separates it from my run of the mill 2002 J45-Rosewood, which first appeared in 1999 with different inlays, but then went to dots.

Every spec on that instrument appears to be the same as mine, from the ebony board & bridge to the gold Grovers, Fishman, and incorrectly placed pickguard!

Therefore, is there some false advertising going on here, or was a special Masterbuilt run created with modified & somewhat hidden specs, such as bracing or selection of tonewoods?

Yes, I remember that ad, but I believe the term Masterbuilt was being generically applied to all Gibsons as a marketing tool. To my knowledge, the term Masterbuilt did not appear on the label, and did not reference anything beyond an instrument in the standard model production run.

I have catalogs from 1999, 2001, 2003, and a four page flier showing, if I recall correctly, a J150 and the J45-Rosewood sitting under a Masterbuilt moniker. Will have to check later tonight.

Yes, I remember that ad, but I believe the term Masterbuilt was being generically applied to all Gibsons as a marketing tool. ....

Might be so. I remember of few years back the catch phrase with "Modern Classic". I have a 2008 J-200 Modern Classic, just says J-200 on the label - but the term "Modern Classic" was in all the advertising. Here's a 2007 page from the Gibson site with all the "Modern Classic" hype - http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/ProductSpotlight/GearAndInstruments/True%20Vintage%20and%20Modern%20Classi/

Here's a J-45R that sold for $999 shipped, last month, but I don't know what the difference is besides the tuners.

J-45R Sold

That one was heavily used and very worn and priced accordingly. I tried to get it for a beater.

The one on our trading post http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/120193-gibson-masterbuilt-j-45r-rosewood-back-sides/ looks to be in great shape and has some killer looking flamed rosewood so I don't think a price comparison would be that fair.

You can usually pick up a used J45 in good condition for a few hundred less so it would be a matter of taste. I'm with 6Burst on the tuners. They'd have to go. But for that rosewood I would consider it if I was looking for one.

I have catalogs from 1999, 2001, 2003, and a four page flier showing, if I recall correctly, a J150 and the J45-Rosewood sitting under a Masterbuilt moniker. Will have to check later tonight.

Interesting that they may have stopped that ad campaign in 2003, since that's when Epiphone started up its production of DR, AJ, and EF non-cutaway Masterbilts (through 2010 or 11). I'm guessing you're right it was a generic marketing thing.

I found the term "Master Built" first used in the 1999 catalog: "A Gibson Acoustic will set you apart from the regular crowd with the finest sound, playability, and appearance that only a Gibson Master Built Instrument can offer." At that point it had not been combined into one word.

The 2003 Catalog features the same "MasterBuilt" logo as in the ad above in BK's post. This time with the picture I'd previously referenced featuring an upright J150 with a J45-Rosewood lying in front of it. Additionally, the 2003 and 2001 catalogs feature stories on the "Master Builders."

But what most clearly establishes the term as a generalized marketing tool is a four page flier (I believe from 2004) with the same J150/J45-Rosewood photo on the cover & the same "MasterBuilt" logo, along with "Experience the MasterBuilt Difference - Experience a Gibson Acoustic Guitar."

On the inside of the flier, the heading states that "The Difference is MasterBuilt." And the final sentences of some lengthy prose summarize that "When compared to a marketplace full of lookalikes, the differences of a MasterBuilt Gibson acoustic are unmatched in quality and performance. When a MasterBuilt Gibson acoustic is played, both the guitarist and the listener share in the resulting perfection. This is why each Gibson acoustic guitar is still MasterBuilt in the tradition handed down by a dynasty of Gibson builders - a dynasty started in 1894 by Orville Gibson himself."

wily, you can't retire from your list making now. You are the archivist that will save some poor soul sixty years from now from going crazy. In Epiphone-speak it's Masterbilt, but here, in Gibson-speak it's Masterbuilt. Someone in the ad copy room must laugh to themselves all the time about throwing this stuff out to the masses and sitting back and watching what happens next. I'd like to have lunch with that guy and pick his brain for a bit.

Man, how do I get a job with Gibson's marketing team? Thing is, after I read something like this ad copy I keep looking behind me to make sure nobody is reaching for my wallet.

Fair point. . I liked it better when I could look past the marketing hype; when a guy I respected/trusted and was visible ran things - RF. . I'm not sure what's going on there now with the leadership. The product has seemed to remain impressive - I guess that's the main thing.

I liked it better when I could look past the marketing hype.....

Well, it is truly a time honored tradition at Gibson.

From Gibson's first catalog - in summarizing the advanced construction of Gibson mandolins & guitars:

"This triumph has been gained by the Gibson instruments because due attention has been given to the laws of acoustics, the value of artistic outline, the scientific preparation and adjustment of the several parts and the sonorous and durable qualities of the various woods used in their construction. It is impossible to convey an adequate idea of the superiority of our product, and we most cordially solicit all opportunities to substantiate our claims by sending on for expert tests and comparisons and one of the large number of styles of our instruments."

• 1 month later...

Great thread. And I agree, the MasterBuilt name has been passed around quite a bit by Gibson. There are no longer pics attached to this old article that inspired my purchase (I'm the owner of the J-45R under discussion), but for what it's worth, here's how I first learned of the MasterBuilt line...

Might I ask does the label in your J-45R make any reference to it being a MasterBuilt?

Fair point. . I liked it better when I could look past the marketing hype; when a guy I respected/trusted and was visible ran things - RF. . I'm not sure what's going on there now with the leadership. The product has seemed to remain impressive - I guess that's the main thing.

Certainly a concern that RF is no longer there. Even under him, some of the guitars coming out were a bit dicey. Last year, I took a 2011 J45 in to my dealer to compare with a brand new one. The sunburst, for example, was very poor on the 2014 model, though the guitar itself played and sounded fine.

Guild. It is hard to believe he can revive Guild. I bought a Guild Manhattan 175 last year, but it was made in Korea. Quite frankly, the nicest Guild I have ever played.

Archived