Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Dirty Fingers VS Seymore Duncan Invader

56goldreissue

I am purchasing a Fender Lonestar Strat (yes I know this is a Gibson Forum) and am looking at a possible modification. I am thinking of replacing the pick up that comes standard. The two that I am looking at are the Gibson Dirty Fingers or a Seymore Duncan Invader. I am wanting something that has a little more "crunch" and I know that both of these pickups are popular in Punk Rock. Please any feed back would be awesome!

ive had more experience with invader than dirty fingers so i can only speak for the invader. invaders are super hot. i mean, look at those slugs! if you want any sort of clarity or you like cleaner tones, id go with something a bit more controlled. i recommend a duncan distortion sh6. i dropped one into my first real guitar a MIM Fender Strat. This was oh about 17 years ago hen I was about 14. I was aiming for green day and metallica and it handled it incredibly well. i was the only person in the metal/hard rock gigging scene with a Fender and a meaner tone than most that crossed my path. you'll get enough gain for heavy stuff but it wont be overkill like ive known the invader to be. it doesn't come squeaky clean when you roll back the volume but rather you get a nice breakup.

you are looking for a little more crunch and i worry the invader will give you too much. it depends on what you want to play really.

ive had more experience with invader than dirty fingers so i can only speak for the invader. invaders are super hot. i mean, look at those slugs! if you want any sort of clarity or you like cleaner tones, id go with something a bit more controlled. i recommend a duncan distortion sh6. i dropped one into my first real guitar a MIM Fender Strat. This was oh about 17 years ago hen I was about 14. I was aiming for green day and metallica and it handled it incredibly well. i was the only person in the metal/hard rock gigging scene with a Fender and a meaner tone than most that crossed my path. you'll get enough gain for heavy stuff but it wont be overkill like ive known the invader to be. it doesn't come squeaky clean when you roll back the volume but rather you get a nice breakup.

you are looking for a little more crunch and i worry the invader will give you too much. it depends on what you want to play really.

The main reason I was looking at these two pickups is that they were both used by Tom Delonge from Blink 182. I was looking for something that can handle the "modern" punk sound. I do think that the Invader may be a little heavier than I want based off of how you explained it. I am not looking for a medal sound at all.

Thank you for your opinion

Archived