Gibson Brands Forums

Gen-u-ine bargain (?)

'Scales

Whilst the price of older electric guitars seems to have reduced significantly over the past 5 years, a bargain (relative term, I know) is still not so easy to find. But this, I'd call a sweet deal if not an out and out bargain. (1750 UK, 2730 US). Of course they may be more commonly available in other countries.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vintage-Gibson-1961-Les-Paul-SG-Junior-Guitar-The-Rock-Inn-/251718041444?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item3a9b907f64

well, I do admit to being a sucker for single pickup, feather weight, Kalamazoo made jobs [biggrin]. I have 2 fitting that description already, which cost only $1440 US combined, so can't justify this one myself either - but then I guess 2730 probably amounted to more than a few days pay back in those days too.

Not a bargain really...my all-original '64 Melody Maker set me back $1200. Less than half of that SG Junior. The Juniors were a step above the Melody Makers, but not a $1500 step in value, unless we're talking 50's. Nobody's really "famous" for playing an SG Junior; lots of people are famous for playing a Les Paul Junior.

It's priced at or above market value.

-Ryan

Not a bargain really...my all-original '64 Melody Maker set me back $1200. Less than half of that SG Junior. The Juniors were a step above the Melody Makers, but not a $1500 step in value, unless we're talking 50's. Nobody's really "famous" for playing an SG Junior; lots of people are famous for playing a Les Paul Junior.

It's priced at or above market value.

-Ryan

Pete Townsend.

I wonder if they might be worth more based on the increased rarity of having them in pristine, un-smashed condition?

I remember when I was living in Australia back from 1972-1975 being very very grateful that I had brought my guitars with me from the US as Australian musical instrument prices, even the homegrown Matons were insanely overpriced.

Honestly, it would appear that trend continues.

Here's a pic from 1974 with a groovy little hippie jam band I was in way back in those days called Poor Tom's Poetry Band doing one of our several dozen free gigs in St. Kilda. I'm playing the Yamaha acoustic in the center.

yyMK5TK.jpg

Long live the Victoria Street squatters of 1973!

2700 would be a bit on the high side here in the US. A nice mid 60's one will run you about $2400 here most days. But given how much more this are in Australia I'm thinking that may not be a bad price for your market.

It's an amazing guitar. [thumbup]

Bargain? Fair? Too much?

I think one thing to consider, is there is still RETAIL and PRIVATE PARTY. A guitar in a shop, that can be displayed, played, and shopped, by all rights should sell for more than a guitar that an average guy is selling, or over the internet without a return option. (As in Searcy's post of an option).

This is interesting to me, in that it raises a few collectability existential questions.

First consideration: To me, what is a SOLID foundation for what a "vintage" guitar is worth is what it would cost to have it built or bought today. All things being equal, what would this guitar cost a guy if it was built to the exact same quality/spec if it was made today?

Then, of corse, it would be, and should be, worth a more as the "real deal" than a "reissue". But how much, that's the question. There is a big difference between investment prices, judging worth by what one thinks another might pay, and what people pay because of what they have to to get a thing.

What trips me out, is that while 2700 or so American doesn't seem too far out to what it would cost to have a guitar like this made, what IS a determining factor is that this guitar, as original and historical as it might be, is a rare example of what a guy WOULDN'T want. Mainly, the bridge/trem is something a guy would ditch. Kinda blows the value to a degree.

fair call Searcy, maybe being a 'Les Paul' and first production year is worth something a little extra, but its much more a case of there being not many to choose from here as pointed out. A friend has a '65 - beautifully made and styled guitars in my opinion.

The other existential collectability question that rips me out, regarding money:

I mean, the American dollar. What's it worth in other places? If it's 2700 bucks in OZ, and 2000 bucks in America, does that mean Aussies value our dollar less? That might make sense.

But also, when it seems the American dollar is loosing value, the American guitars seem to gain value. Makes perfect sense to me.

But do we expect other countries to put American guitars into the "investment" catagory? Well, if they thought like that, then their dollar might be at as much "risk" as ours.

Hmmm.....

I mean, the American dollar. What's it worth in other places? If it's 2700 bucks in OZ, and 2000 bucks in America, does that mean Aussies value our dollar less? That might make sense.

The opposite. One AU dollar is worth say 75 US cents - therefore we value your dollar at about one and a third of our dollars - i.e your $ is more valuable than ours on the global market (at the moment - a couple of years ago it would have been the other way round - it shifts about a lot.)

The opposite. One AU dollar is worth say 75 US cents - therefore we value your dollar at about one and a third of our dollars - i.e your $ is more valuable than ours on the global market (at the moment - a couple of years ago it would have been the other way round - it shifts about a lot.)

Yea, I see that. I mean, valuing our dollar vs yours, or where each of our dollars might be valued against other dollars.

And of corse, the obvious back and forth.

But, dig this: I personally value my dollars less than 5 years ago. Inflation, yada yada. 2000 bucks in my pocket 5 years ago, that pretty much feels like 2700 now. Regardless of what it is against the pound or the peso.

See, I don't NEED to know how the dollar measures to other currency to say, it ain't worth as much.

I was just wondering, if you Aussies value it less like I do, based on your intelligence and wisdom...as opposed to the exchange rate.

I remember when I was living in Australia back from 1972-1975 being very very grateful that I had brought my guitars with me from the US as Australian musical instrument prices, even the homegrown Matons were insanely overpriced.

Honestly, it would appear that trend continues.

Here's a pic from 1974 with a groovy little hippie jam band I was in way back in those days called Poor Tom's Poetry Band doing one of our several dozen free gigs in St. Kilda. I'm playing the Yamaha acoustic in the center.

yyMK5TK.jpg

Long live the Victoria Street squatters of 1973!

Should have taken a Maton or two back with you mate, excellent git.

Just the vegemite you've got to watch out for...that stuff will kill ya!

But, dig this: I personally value my dollars less than 5 years ago. Inflation, yada yada. 2000 bucks in my pocket 5 years ago, that pretty much feels like 2700 now. Regardless of what it is against the pound or the peso.

See, I don't NEED to know how the dollar measures to other currency to say, it ain't worth as much.

I was just wondering, if you Aussies value it less like I do, based on your intelligence and wisdom...as opposed to the exchange rate.

Sorry Stein, I'm not a good person to answer that as I hardly ever buy anything other than fuel for the car every couple of weeks (which is much cheaper) and a few beers on Friday at the pub (which are dearer). Clothes are pretty much all from charity shops (my choice) and wife buys everything else and pays all the bills - I'm ignorant on it all (if not unintelligent [wink]).

the one thing I have bought more of is guitar stuff (amps, guitars, strings, stands, pedals etc etc) and for that I'd say I feel like my money is going much further than it used to... BUT... that's largely because I've discovered eBay and other on-line shopping and to me it seems much cheaper than I would have thought possible many times.

sorry mate - as I say, I'm not the best placed person to answer your question.

Should have taken a Maton or two back with you mate, excellent git.

Just the vegemite you've got to watch out for...that stuff will kill ya!

So, I ask, how much vegimite does 2700 bucks get you these days?

See, I wonder: could I buy more groceries and staples with 2700 American here? Or in Oz?

Which brings us to the Gibby. Should a guitar increase in "value" based on what we can buy with the bucks? I mean, the guitar hasn't changed. But a guy might feel he needs 2700 for it now because the 2000 it was worth last week won't buy the same groceries.

Determining it's worth is simple. It's worth what the market will bear. What it costs compared to another vintage guitar or compared to what A luthier migjt charge to make a similar guitar is completely irrelevant.

It all boils down to what the seller is willing to take for it and what the buyer is willing to pay. That's it. And while I can't say with 100% certainty I think this is probably a pretty good price for this guitar on the Australian market.

Which brings us to the Gibby. Should a guitar increase in "value" based on what we can buy with the bucks?

Guitars don't increase in "value", what people are willing to pay for them is what increases. The guitars are the same, old, used, usually sh1tty guitars that nobody wanted then and somebody made into some vintage gem through incessant puffery and bs.

Buy it for 2730. Try to sell it next year for 2800. If you find someone that will feel good by giving you 2800 for a junky 60s starter guitar, the "value" will indeed have skyrocketed just like Vintage Guitar magazine predicted in their email to you telling you how hot that thing is.

Try to sell it for three years and get not a nibble at 2500. Did the "value" go down? No, you just haven't found someone that will feel good paying that much for a junky old guitar.

Notice the disparaging terms I used? We used to call those guitars back then exactly those things, including my 66 Firebird, it was a steaming pile. These things are just guitars with no value whatsoever outside of what someone will give you for it.

rct

heh.

People hate reality, especially about things they have convinced themselves are worth a lot of money. I know what my guitars are, I know what they are worth, and I know that when I am dead they will be sold for fair value and the proceeds will help some wolf study or something. Someone else can coo about their vintage value and creamy tones.

rct

You don't volunteer your time on a suicide hotline by chance?

lol

THAT's funny right there. Quality comedy, sir.

Just so you know, if I HAD been thinking about it, cashing in, this might have pulled me back.

Archived