Gibson Brands Forums

2002 Gibson Explorer - Possible case of NGD

GibsonKramer

Got a quick 15-20 minutes with a 2002 Gibson Explorer today. Looked clean, but I'd like to go back and take a real close look at the headstock and see if its been repaired. Its a gloss black one if refinished, easier to hide. Though, in the short time... I didn't see anything other than belt rash.

Wasn't fond of the amp I used, so I'm thinking of taking my Egnater and trying it out.

The asking price? $699. Its not one of those Melody Makers, or a Chibson... its a legit 2002, I've looked online and it appears to be anywhere from $100 - $400 under what people are asking for them.

Anything about that era I should be aware of. It played nice... was setup properly, though that's something I'd like to take a closer look at to. I know there's a couple inquiries into it already and I don't expect it to last the week.

I've offered my SGJ in trade and think it and $400+ might nab it for me.

Any info on the particular era, or things I should look for?

This isn't it... but it exact model, paint, knobs...

explorer_2002_zpseki6dd5s.jpg

The very thing coming to my mind about Explorers in general are their bulky and heavy hardcases. None of my longscale bass cases competes with that of my Explorer. [biggrin]

Adding a pun, this for sure will be the case with your possible NGD catch, too. [lol]

I had a Ibanez Destroyer in my younger years... and back then, everything came with a HSC. It was a big case, big guitar... but such a sweet player.

If I could have any one guitar back, it would be that one. An Explorer would fit the bill nice.

Edit: Ibanez Destroyer

There's no guitar supporting the striking hand's forearm better than an Explorer.

My Government Series II Explorer defines typical jazz tone as well as searing metal sound. Simply an awesome axe.

Sounds like a good deal. I had a GIbson Explorer back in the day that I wish I still had. They're tanks.

Talk of the Explorer case takes me back... Man, was it heavy! But that's my only complaint.

Things to get after you've bought it: the tabs to "Puppets", and 4-7 Misfits and/or Samhain t-shirts with the sleeves ripped off. You're gonna need both ;)

Sounds like a good deal. I had a GIbson Explorer back in the day that I wish I still had. They're tanks.

Talk of the Explorer case takes me back... Man, was it heavy! But that's my only complaint.

Things to get after you've bought it: the tabs to "Puppets", and 4-7 Misfits and/or Samhain t-shirts with the sleeves ripped off. You're gonna need both ;)

At this point, I'm going to pass.

Took my THR-10X over and spent about an hour playing it. Its a beautiful guitar. Only reason the asking price is so low, is the belt rash, which I couldn't care less about.

But, as I was playing it and trying to make up my mind.... something was bugging me. It wasn't until I handed it back and said, "not right now", and thinking about it later, it sunk in.

When I bought my Les Paul, I knew as soon as I started playing it... I was buying that guitar. When I bought the SGJ, I had gone in, looking for a LPJ. Ended up playing the SGJ and knew, as soon as I started playing it, I was going to buy it.

I could trade it and the THR in and have close to the cash needed... the amp is generic, it can be replaced. But the SGJ.... I've done a lot of mods (mostly cosmetic), but there was a connection. I just wasn't feeling it with the Explorer.

That may change.... if they still have it in a few weeks. Who knows? But... I'm certainly not willing to give up a guitar for it.

At this point, I'm going to pass.

... there was a connection. I just wasn't feeling it with the Explorer.

That may change.... if they still have it in a few weeks. Who knows? But... I'm certainly not willing to give up a guitar for it.

That's understood. It's better not to do anything probably causing bitter regrets.

Archived