Gibson Brands Forums

1994 100 year anniversary Dove

MorrisrownSal

This is the guitar, fellas, and I am taking a shot... weather is going to prevent me going into the city to see it tomorrow, and I know Matt, so if it doesn't do it for me (unlikely) I'll just drive it back in to him. I know I would be too bummed if I waited a week and it was gone. I guess I needs to sell something :)

http://www.umanovgui...94-gibson-dove/

dove1_zpsjurjzejv.jpg

dove2_zpsxsepz5zu.jpg

This is the guitar, fellas, and I am taking a shot... weather is going to prevent me going into the city to see it tomorrow, and I know Matt, so if it doesn't do it for me (unlikely) I'll just drive it back in to him. I know I would be too bummed if I waited a week and it was gone. I guess I needs to sell something :)

http://www.umanovgui...94-gibson-dove/

dove1_zpsjurjzejv.jpg

dove2_zpsxsepz5zu.jpg

I have a good friend of mine that works there. He used to work with me. His name is Peter. Talk to him when you get there. a real straight shooter. Good guy. And that guitar looks beautiful btw!

pretty different from a bird. longer scale and all that maple will sound brighter, etc. but might be cool in it's own right though!

So I click on the Umanov link you provided and while I'm there I start looking around at just what else is on the menu. Shouldn't have done that! They have a 1956 J-185 natural that is in just stellar shape. Umanov's has to be an incredibly dangerous place to find oneself. Sal, if you've got the inclination, and since you ARE looking at a maple Gibson, I'd be curious of your impressions. $16 large, whew!

Seems it's maple-time for you, Sal. Easy to understand you're tempted by this dark Dove. Very handsome. .

Good luck.

Btw. where is missourrip. - who was a Bird- then became a Dove-owner too not so long ago. .

I am shocked the interwebs has fairly little on this model. The above one was made in November 1994. I have heard that there can be fit and finish issues on early Bozemon models, but this one looks nice as per the pictures. I will have it in my hands later today and can report back then. I heard it sounds "crisp".

It seems weird though. So little out there. My curiosity is very piqued!

Usually when I think I am getting a nice fair deal (used), I ultimately find I just bought a Chrysler K car. So-nerves.

I played a square Southern Jumbo from this wave (same label thing) a few years ago.

I sounded very good, but also a little otherly, kind of modern. Besides being long scale, it had wild grey strum-lines around the s-hole, which didn't look like nitro cellulose lacquer.

Could it have been the fuller plast - a concept slightly diffuse to me.

Btw. where is missourrip. - who was a Bird- then became a Dove-owner too not so long ago. .

Seems as though that bird has flown. MissouriPick has not posted for a while... Escaped. More time for that family-friendly music that he loves.

Sal, if you're going in to the city today, it will surely be a Snowbird you will be trying. Maple? Listen for the "bite"... It's in there.

Seems as though that bird has flown. MissouriPick has not posted for a while... Escaped. More time for that family-friendly music that he loves.

Sal, if you're going in to the city today, it will surely be a Snowbird you will be trying. Maple? Listen for the "bite"... It's in there.

I hope Missouri Picker is physically well.

modoc, do you know what kind of tuners these are?

Most of the ones I've seen have Grover nickel Keystone.

I haven't played that exact version but others I played besides being long scale had a narrow nut with a thin neck.

That guitar is real good looking.

Good Luck with your decision.

Well, she arrived! I gave her a few hours - I needed to get away from work today. Nice guitar in amazing condition for a 21 year old guitar... but it was just "meh" to me. It sounded fine, but not enough to make me want to spend the money for a sound that wasn't what I envision in my mind. I drover her back to Manhattan, and back to Matt Umanov's. Matt, by the way, is a great guy, and loves nothing better than to sit with his customers and talk and play guitar. I actually am happy I took the risk, because even though this was not the right guitar for me, I solidified what I like, and I got to hang with Matt.

Speaking of the sound you have in your head... sometimes you think you want one thing, and then you play something else and think, "wait... no.. this is the sound."

And yes... that happened with Matt. He had a 3 year old D-28 for a good price, and the rest is history! I will try to post a sound comparison with a few of my guitars later this weekend.

IMG_1998_zps44qb12v2.jpg

Oh, by the way... he has a custom shop Martin M-size all Honduran Mahogany with open back ebony tuners that took my breath away. It was possibly the best-sounding Martin I played from any era. Ever.

1425676634[/url]' post='1636871']

Congratulations Sal.

Boy oh boy. A d28

Lucky man

Grunt, I just was playing it back and forth with my SJ. I was shocked by this guitar because I must have played 20 D28s and HD28s before, and found them muddy. Weird. Goes to show you the guitars are individual. Or maybe my ears are changing. By the way Matt had a 1966 D18 for $4,000. I normally am used to D18s being loud and in your face, but that one sounded softer, and sweet. Like a Bird. I don't ever think I will trust my preconceived notions again. Oh, and if money were no object, that '66 would be with me. It was lovely.

Archived