Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Pump Polish

Danelectr

Is the Gibson Pump Polish ok to use with a Satin Finish( SGJ 2013) and Vintage Gloss ( Studio 2014) ?

Thanks

You shouldn't use any polish (even Gibson) on a satin or vintage gloss finish as it will damage the satin look, making it shiny. I have a satin Les Paul Special and a Melody Maker and just wipe them with a slightly damp cloth to clean them.

You shouldn't use any polish (even Gibson) on a satin or vintage gloss finish as it will damage the satin look, making it shiny. I have a satin Les Paul Special and a Melody Maker and just wipe them with a slightly damp cloth to clean them.

Thanks for the info!

But can it damage the finish ? or only making them shiny?

Hello and welcome here.

Thanks for the info!

But can it damage the finish ? or only making them shiny?

Making a satin finish shiny works through removing some of it.

Any polish will remove some finish, or wax coat if there's something there. I don't use any of that stuff on any guitar. I breathe on them and wipe with a very soft facial tissue every few playing hours.

It will not damage the finish.

In fact, Gibson uses it on the final polishing wheels.

Using polish on a satin finish will make it shiny and take away the original matt look. Over time, places where you come into contact with the guitar will naturally becoming slightly shiny as you rub/ buff the finish without intending to. I got my 2008 Melody Maker second hand and the back is pretty much shiny from contact with the player and has worn through in places, however, the top is still matt. Satin does tend to wear more easily than a gloss nitro finish and also seems more thinly applied and easier to damage through knocks or natural rubbing from where your arm rests on the top... So I would advice against polishing.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived