Gibson Brands Forums

DMZ 4001

PerKramer

Hej from Denmark

I have an DMZ 4001 Bass (A3267 - 1980 I guess), which have a fault in the tonepot (BQ6435 - 1378013)

Can anybody tell me how to get af new one, or an opinion on an alternative tonepot. I'm very concerned about the basstone - it is realy amazing as it is.

Regards Per

Hello Per,

when looking at pics of Kramer DMZ 4001 on the web, it seems to be an all-passive bass without a battery - is that right?

In this case, my guess is that the tone pot is a common 500 kOhms or perhaps a 250 kOhms one, audio taper in either case. These are standard parts and should be avaialable at good musical instrument dealers. It should be possible to find a spare part where sizes and shaft will match your bass.

Hello Per,

when looking at pics of Kramer DMZ 4001 on the web, it seems to be an all-passive bass without a battery - is that right?

In this case, my guess is that the tone pot is a common 500 kOhms or perhaps a 250 kOhms one, audio taper in either case. These are standard parts and should be avaialable at good musical instrument dealers. It should be possible to find a spare part where sizes and shaft will match your bass.

Here is 2 pics, as you can see, it has a battery and... so maybe it's not a 4001?

post-70979-081842200 1425549414_thumb.jpg

Could it be that the controls are passive with a subsequent line driver? That would mean the pot should be as I mentioned above.

I'm not much into electronics.

Here comes a better photo of the wiring.

There are two swiches. one that changes the tone (3 settings) and one with two settings, that I think is a kind of boost.

Is the switch with six tags the one with two positions? To me it looks as if it switches the pickup split coils between series and parallel. The switch with three tags should have three positions then...

Is the switch with six tags the one with two positions? To me it looks as if it switches the pickup split coils between series and parallel. The switch with three tags should have three positions then...

Yes, the switch with six tags is the one with two positions. Changing the position results in a relative big change in volume. The high volume position also gives a feeling of a slightly brighter tone, or maybe it just come from the higher output.

And yes, the switch with three tags have the three positions.

Archived