Gibson Brands Forums

Another mystery Epi - or Epi at all???

APe

Hi,

trying to id a mystery "Epiphonesque" acoustic. Got only few not so good quality photos from the owner.

As far as I know Epiphone has never used € logo alone on headstock, or have they? Soundhole label says Model "EJ-45" below the € logo and there´s a text "Makers of Quality Guitars". Thats all. Serial# 651040428is stamped on the neck block, there are 9 digits, no prefix letters.

Looks like Japan made. Serial# logic says it´s from ´64. Can somebody maybe tell me what we have here?

post-1235-030955900 1425560230_thumb.jpg

post-1235-078263400 1425560263_thumb.jpg

After some serious googling there are still no hits. I was hoping that somebody had seen this soundhole label before, indicating the maker, but apparently no? I am starting to lean towards some Chinese/Taiwanese/Korean manufacturer....probably this guitar has nothing to do with Epiphone, except the misleading € logo.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

trying to id a mystery "Epiphonesque" acoustic. Got only few not so good quality photos from the owner.

As far as I know Epiphone has never used € logo alone on headstock, or have they? Soundhole label says Model "EJ-45" below the € logo and there´s a text "Makers of Quality Guitars". Thats all. Serial# 651040428is stamped on the neck block, there are 9 digits, no prefix letters.

Looks like Japan made. Serial# logic says it´s from ´64. Can somebody maybe tell me what we have here?

I'm NOT saying this applies, but I think there was a line of guitars from the Orient with the brand name "Epi". Not Epiphone, but Epi.

Might not be related at all but it jarred my gray matter and thought I'd toss it in the mix.

Archived