Gibson Brands Forums

Identifying this 1980s Explorer Custom Shop

Hi. I was offered a vintage Gibson Explorer with some changed parts. The seller says that he bought it new in London in 1985 and played it since then and some parts were changed over the years. He says it is a Explorer Korina but I had heard Explorer Korinas were made in 1983 and they have an eight digit serial number. This guitar has serial number CS5885240 and it says EXPLORER on the back of the headstock. The seller says it has 1 piece body and 1 piece neck.

I see some anomalies for a Korina: larger control cavity, output jack near the strap button, Gibson logo is modern not the 1970-80s version...

Had anybody seen a guitar like this before?

post-70985-087330200 1425566234_thumb.jpg

Those early 80's korina guitars had an inked serial number, a single letter and three digits. They did not say Custom Shop on them either. You are right, it's not from that run. Not sure what it is. You would have to look inside to even see if it's korina. Use of korina is rare and usually has a clear finish but not always. Also very doubtful it has a one-piece body. Sounds like he is playing it up in order to increase its value.

Hi. I was offered a vintage Gibson Explorer with some changed parts. The seller says that he bought it new in London in 1985 and played it since then and some parts were changed over the years. He says it is a Explorer Korina but I had heard Explorer Korinas were made in 1983 and they have an eight digit serial number. This guitar has serial number CS5885240 and it says EXPLORER on the back of the headstock. The seller says it has 1 piece body and 1 piece neck.

I see some anomalies for a Korina: larger control cavity, output jack near the strap button, Gibson logo is modern not the 1970-80s version...

Had anybody seen a guitar like this before?

Hi and welcome.

All the points you mention seem odd to me, too. Furthermore, I think the mounting screw holes spacings of the pickup rings say they are Epiphone or similar, not Gibson. Who would have mounted pickup rings with a spacing not matching the screw holes in the body?

Archived