Gibson Brands Forums

Masterbilt AJ-500RCE - how did I miss this??

meanstreak

These are priced at £579 at Andertons (mahogany body) £469 at GAK (mahogany) £579 at Guitar Guitar (mahogany) Steven James has it listed at £529 and as the AJ-500RCE (rosewood) but described as Mahogany.

Don't know about you guys in the rest of the world but over here it's a minefield of poor descriptions and odd pricing. You really have to check everything!

The guitar itself on the youtube video sounds a bit thin to me

These are priced at £579 at Andertons (mahogany body) £469 at GAK (mahogany) £579 at Guitar Guitar (mahogany) Steven James has it listed at £529 and as the AJ-500RCE (rosewood) but described as Mahogany.

Don't know about you guys in the rest of the world but over here it's a minefield of poor descriptions and odd pricing. You really have to check everything!

The guitar itself on the youtube video sounds a bit thin to me

I have to agree sounds a bit thin. Sounds nothing like my Masterbilt AJ. Anyone know any more about this model?

• 3 weeks later...

I had no idea there were/are so many varieties of the Masterbilt...I have an AJ500R, straight acoustic with rosewood back and sides, and I just bought another of what I thought was the same guitar, but it is a DR500M...I don't have it yet, but I am very interested to hear and see the differences.

Someone could seemingly write a book on the Epiphone Masterbilt in all its versions, but it seems like there's new ones coming out all the time.

FWIW, my AJ500R sounds great played with fingers or a pick, and can get LOUD with the fine sweet tone and that odd kind of echo taht I find in the bigger Epiphones. I really like it a lot - just sold 3 other guitars yesterday because I don't need them now. msp_smile.gif

I had no idea there were/are so many varieties of the Masterbilt...

Well, post-2003, there's the DR, AJ, and EF500 models, usually with spruce over mahogany or spruce over rosewood, with the (very) occasional spruce over maple or cedar over rosewood. (After 2010-2011, they went to the cutaways with electronics.)

I have an AJ500R, straight acoustic with rosewood back and sides, and I just bought another of what I thought was the same guitar, but it is a DR500M...I don't have it yet, but I am very interested to hear and see the differences.

I've got EF500's in mahogany, rosewood, and maple. I'll be interested too, to see what you think.

FWIW, my AJ500R sounds great played with fingers or a pick...

Yep, all my Masterbilts sound great (well, except the 1939, which isn't in league with the moderns). It's taking me a while to appreciate the subtle differences. Did I say they all sound great?

...just sold 3 other guitars yesterday because I don't need them now. msp_smile.gif

I've got to do some of that. What's your secret? [wink]

Found this few minutes ago...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN6JxaKubZU

COUGAR-My secret is I had over 60 guitars at the max, and then started thinking I wanted to sell my house and move...Where I want to move seems to change from week to week...So I started selling some of them online, got down to about 40 guitars. I realized I was REALLY impressed by the Mastrbilt AJ, and decided to keep that one and my EL00 acoustic and sell the others, so I took them into an area GC and bit the bullet.

Before I sold them, I found a used Mastebilt DR500M for dirt cheap at ANOTHER GC, so I bought that one, and now have 3 acoustics instead of 6.

This is a nice sound demo of a DR500M...

I expect I will be selling my old US made Peaveys and a Les Paul Junior Special, a steel dobro type and an '86 Guild Pilot fretless bass, and maybe a few more...MAYBE even my original '72 Les Paul Recording Guitar...THAT will be a hard decision, but I really never play it.

Just close your eyes and think about money...eusa_dance.gif

I called Gibson in Memphis and the guy there couldn't find that model in his archives even.I'll bet it's a discontinued AJ-500RE.They might've thrown in the C for the hell of it.The C usually stands for cedar,of course but it looks like they only made them in spruce.It'd be the one w/ a Baggs pickup,probably.Hope this makes sense.

Found this few minutes ago...

Very cool! I saw all my Masterbilts on there, even the Zenith (in the catalog) - $50 brand new! Haha! They showed the slot-head 12-fret AJ500RC quite a bit, but didn't really mention it. Also the maple (didn't catch if it was a DR or an EF, but it was definitely maple!).

COUGAR-My secret is I had over 60 guitars at the max...

Whoa, that's quite a collection.

...and then started thinking I wanted to sell my house and move...Where I want to move seems to change from week to week...

Heh, I'm toying with the same idea. Originally from SoCal, but it's way too crowded there anymore for my tastes. Maybe up the coast somewhere....

...I found a used Mastebilt DR500M for dirt cheap at ANOTHER GC....

I got my mahogany EF from an online used gear GC (thanks Cliffenstein), and it turned out to be in pristine condition. Gorgeous guitar!

This is a nice sound demo of a DR500M...

Is that you? That's some nice playing!

Keys are my main ax. I got back into guitars about 5 years ago. A couple broken left-hand fingers from decades ago caused a bit of a hiatus. Always loved the sound of a guitar, though, to the point of getting a Motif XS7 with banks of guitar voices. Here's a version of Embryonic Journey, "fingerstyle" on keys. :)

My new old Masterbilt just arrived about noon Tuesday. Turns out it is a DR500 R, so I have 2 different style rosewood/spruce guitars...actually sounds pretty different from my AJ a bit stronger midrange and very nice individual notes. I bought this one knowing it would need at least a set up, and I have already installed a new nut. and will install a new saddle in a bit.. It has a very different feel from the AJ, too and I think both are certainly worth keeping.

My new old Masterbilt just arrived about noon Tuesday. Turns out it is a DR500 R, so I have 2 different style rosewood/spruce guitars...actually sounds pretty different from my AJ a bit stronger midrange and very nice individual notes. I bought this one knowing it would need at least a set up, and I have already installed a new nut. and will install a new saddle in a bit.. It has a very different feel from the AJ, too and I think both are certainly worth keeping.

The AJ and DR are certainly different, but each good in their own way. The DR-P is different from the hog sides and back entirely. The maple is brighter and (to my ear) louder. I was fortunately able to pick one up from an estate broker in mint condition and can't speak highly enough about it.

Archived