Gibson Brands Forums

New Portastudio

rct

This week I had to finally retire my TASCAM 2488. Ten years old, buttons failing like they all did, cd unit intermittent. It was getting hard to work with, and I started a new song and just said fukk it. Have a DP32SD coming probably tomorrow, same work flow for me, some changes hardware wise but nothing traumatic. Just no CD, which is a good thing, I can burn them all day at work.

Good times. I hope.

rct

• 3 months later...

I have an old Tascam Portastudio from the 1980's, a cassette tape recorder.

It still works like a charm.

I also own the Tascam 2488 NEO.

Believe it or not, I prefer the functions and controls on the old tape model better.

The NEO is just too complicated.

Either that, or the instruction manual is poorly written.

:(

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I just got a Tascam DP32-SD, not had a chance to use it much yet. Used my mates Advanced Jumbo to record a couple of tracks and it sounded amazing but getting a lot of noise from my 1954 J160e when I plug that in which I know is due to the guitar and the original p90 known to feedback a lot though PAs. Need to get a pick up fitted to my other acoustic before I will get proper use of the Tascam but so far seems a very good purchase. Anyone else got one?

weekendstate,

Have you considered just recording the guitar via an open mic, such as a Shure 57?

The Tascam DP32-SD appears to be a newer and more improved version of mine and rct's old 2488.

I'm sure it will yield high-quality results for you!!

:)

• 1 year later...

So last tascam got ripped off or something i may have owed some money icr.

Just got the tscam 24.

My question to all the other guys is what are you running the sound out to?

Obviously its not a power amp too.

I run left right out to a couple of Samson monitor splitters. Left right in, three pairs of monitors out, I use two Samsons, I like monitors. A lot.

Theres a few out there, Samson used to be at SamAsh don't know if still around, Behringer, ART if they still exist, Mackie Big Knob was a high end monitor feed.

rct

• 3 months later...

You want powered monitors.

rct

Well the stereo out from the tracking device is 200ohms. Having said that you can run that into any stereo input

On most stereo amps to power a set of speakers.

I didnt get powered monitors because I already have floor speakers.

The one thing I take into account is the impedance of the speakers to the output of the stereo amp. Most stereo amps will give you info regarding how many ohms you should go out to. This I would advise to check because if its rated at 8ohms and you go out to 4ohm speakers you could melt the internal related circuits on the amp.

Archived