Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Mercury footswitch

demicami

I have a Gibson Mercury like the one in the picture. It didn't come with the footswitch so I'm looking around.

Does anyone know what the original footswitch would have looked like that came with these amps?

Thanks

post-58210-043551400 1425697793_thumb.jpg

Yes, I had one. Too bad this didn't come up a few years ago, I gave a Mercury footswitch away to a now ex-friend.

Anyway, it was a single switch in a fairly large bakelite angled box (black), with very rounded corners. The bottom of the box had a masonite cover that slid into a groove, with a snap on it for snapping onto the top inside of the head for storage.

I find it odd that the footswitch is missing from this head as they were originally hardwired in without a plug. I had rewired mine with a 1/4" plug on it, maybe this was a standard mod. Is there a hole in he back of the chassis where the footswitch wire would have come out?

I doubt I have any photos, but if I saw a photo of one I could easily ID it. I'll even look in my junk box to make sure mine's not still in there.

Hey Larry, thanks for your help.

I think I know the one your talking about now. It has the one footswitch button.

.....the search is on :-)

As soon as I get home I'll check the back to see what kind of connection I have.

Thx

Yep, that was exactly the same "homemade" connection modification I did to mine, a simple 1/4" phone jack. I know you're looking for the proper "vintage" footswitch, but any push/push SPST footswitch wired to a 1/4" plug will put you in business.

I still haven't looked in my junk box, stay tuned.

• 3 weeks later...

I am also in the hunt for this switch. But I need the two button variety, tremolo and reverb. The one on my amp is one that i believe came off a silvertone Amp.

Two banger's seem to come up quite often..........

Archived